Decoding software from line in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

As my scanner is a yupiteru mvt 3300 and has no software support i believe, i was wondering if there was any programs that can decode incoming audio on the fly, or at least save it to wav or mp3 for decoding later? The main reason is to decode digital transmissions, i'm sure i'v seen programs that do this.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

gccflscan

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Line Out decoding

Lord_Apocalypse said:
Hello all.

As my scanner is a yupiteru mvt 3300 and has no software support i believe, i was wondering if there was any programs that can decode incoming audio on the fly, or at least save it to wav or mp3 for decoding later? The main reason is to decode digital transmissions, i'm sure i'v seen programs that do this.

Any ideas?

You can decode:

EMWIN 1200 baud -requires an additional interface
ACARS - software only

Via the audio out/speaker out/tape out of a scanner.

To decode
POCSAG (512 may work on just audio in, but unreliable)
Golay
EMWIN 2400/9600
Packet 9600
Trunking Control channels

Then you will need a discrimantor output or tap.

To record you need some thing like Scanner Recorder http://www.davee.com/scanrec/

There are some others as well. If your into seriously receiving non audio sources then a discrimantor tap is the way to go.

I don't know about recording it to save for later decoding, probably possible on something SSTV, but not for control channels etc..

I think my yupi already decodes acars anyway.

Could you elaborate on this discriminator tap thing? I don't know anything about it.

EDIT: Hmm, looks pretty damn complicated, maybe i'll just leave it for now.

Last edited:

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Lord_Apocalypse said:
The main reason is to decode digital transmissions, i'm sure i'v seen programs that do this.

What digital transmissions do you want to decode? If you are looking to decode APCO P25 voice, I think you are out of luck.

Mike

I'm not actually sure, it's just that some frequencies i go to there is this weird buzzing noise that i assume is a digital transmission and there is another one that kinda sounds like the old 56k modems trying to connect.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That is very powerful software, and has numerous modes used for HF and above. However, it's very complex, and takes a pretty good understanding of digital signals to use it effectively. While I suppose you could use it with a handheld, a good communications receiver (on HF) is really a must if you get into this heavily.

Oh yes, it's extremely expensive, too. 73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.