Diamond SRH519 on the 396.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkEagleUSA

I just received a Diamond SRH519 (bought based on recommendations here). but it doesn't fully screw onto the 396. It came with a little washer, but that doesn't help it seat fully either. I also got a Comet SMA501 that seems to screw on just fine. Is this normal for the Diamond, or did I possibly get a bad antenna?

flyfishdave

same with my SRH77CA

Hi there,

I just got a Diamond SRH77CA for my 396T and have a similar issue; the base of the antenna does not seat fully but at least you got a washer. I just went to Home Depot and picked up some rubber grommets to seal the connection.

Dave.

SCPD

QRT
i went to Scanner Unlimited this saturday and tried out some differed antennas.
the Diamond SRH77CA fit with no problem but was just to big for my taste

MarkEagleUSA

Re: same with my SRH77CA

flyfishdave said:
the base of the antenna does not seat fully but at least you got a washer. I just went to Home Depot and picked up some rubber grommets to seal the connection.
My concern isn't with sealing the connection; it's with the strength of it. Wouldn't a gap place more stress on the 396's SMA connector than if the antenna sat flush with the casing? I certainly don't want to damage my scanner.

Al42

Re: same with my SRH77CA

flyfishdave said:
I just got a Diamond SRH77CA for my 396T and have a similar issue; the base of the antenna does not seat fully
Mine does - I just held it up to the light, unscrewed it a little (to definitely see a space), then screwed it back loosely (not quite "finger tight"). No light.

MWillyG

Bad Antenna?

Mark,

Frankly, from your description, I don't think that your antenna is bad.

If you examine the antenna and the radio's connector, you'll notice that the nylon insert that acts as the insulator between the conductors in each determines how the antenna, or any other antenna, and connector will fit. I have about a dozen different SMA antennas made by Maldol, Comet, and Diamond. While fitting each to the same radio, I have noticed that some fit a TINY bit "tighter/closer" that others. This doesn't affect reception.

I would be more inclined to believe that there is a slight variation in the SMA base connector of the Uniden receiver. Again, I'm refering to the nylon piece that also acts as the insulator between the conductors. This could be the reason for the different experiences of the individuals who posted to this thread. BTW, I don't feel that this is a defect or flaw in the radio

Long story short: I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. Go to the plumbing department of your local Lowe's, Home Depot, or independent hardware store and get a package of #5 O-rings. I purchased mine from Lowe's and the brand is Danco. With one of these, you won't accidently "force" the antenna and you'll eliminate the "unsightly" gap. :wink:

I also wouldn't be too concerned about damaging the radio. The SRH-519 is a VERY light unit, so even if it doesn't seat to the base perfectly, you shouldn't have a problem.

Mark, W1ARW

MarkEagleUSA said:
So there's 2 of us with a problem and 2 without. Is that enough for me to conclude I possibly got a bad antenna?

MarkEagleUSA

Re: Bad Antenna?

MWillyG said:
I wouldn't lose any sleep over this.
I'm not... :wink:

get a package of #5 O-rings.
With one of these, you won't accidently "force" the antenna and you'll eliminate the "unsightly" gap.
That's what I'll likely do.

I also wouldn't be too concerned about damaging the radio. The SRH-519 is a VERY light unit, so even if it doesn't seat to the base perfectly, you shouldn't have a problem.
That was my initial concern... I don't want to risk damaging the 396 since this antenna situation seems like it would put more sterss on the connector. With an additional o-ring or washer that should be taken care of.

By the way, I wrote to Universal Radio (where I bought the antenna) and they checked a few SRH519's on a 396 and they all had the same "problem". Their advice was also the washer or o-ring. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.