• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Different TK-730, Different Audio Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdatkinson

After fixing the last audio issue (jumping pins 9 and 12 on the accessory connector) on my last TK-730, I stumbled across another radio on ebay that by description exhibited the same problem. So I picked it up, hoping that it would be as simple a fix as the last. As I opened the package, I immediately noticed that this radio had the loopback connector on it. After a quick continuity test on the connector showed that it was ok, I started looking a little deeper.

I am getting some audio out of the radio, both on at the head and at the radio itself (pins 9 & 12). If I hold the speaker up to my ear, I can hear the audio faintly. I can also adjust its level by rolling the volume control up or down. This was the same characteristic that my other unit had when the loop back was not in place.

When I had my initial problem, I scoured forums, all over the net looking for different solutions. I remember one mentioning that there were some internal mods that needed to be done to properly send audio to the head. So I popped the top on the new-to-me unit and noticed somethings that I did not notice in my other unit. Most obvious is what appears to be an accessory board of some sort. As well as the connector and wires soldered on the black coated PCB in the middle of the board. Whatever that piece is, its tied into CN107 and CN108.

I've attached a pic of the board. I'm looking for the following:

1). A reminder on what had to be done inside the radio to properly get audio to the control head.
2). Can someone identify the extra board and wiring in this unit? I pulled CN107 and CN108, isolating the extra board and the radio appears to run fine.

Attachments

• tk730board.jpg
    tk730board.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 1,123

wdatkinson

I took the external speaker and hooked it up to pins 6 and 12 on the external connector and I have full audio. Since whatever that extra board and wiring intercepts some of the wires coming from the terminal connector, I'm guessing that's were my audio issue is. However, I'd like to know what that little board is/was doing before I go too much further.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I took the external speaker and hooked it up to pins 6 and 12 on the external connector and I have full audio. Since whatever that extra board and wiring intercepts some of the wires coming from the terminal connector, I'm guessing that's were my audio issue is. However, I'd like to know what that little board is/was doing before I go too much further.

Hang on a sec! Can't ID the board although suspect it is a scrambler board (Kenwood likes to use Cimmaron). Whatever it is, doubt it uses speaker audio, more likely a lower level audio like DEO (discriminator). This is before the audio PA that outputs to the speaker. If you were able to get good volume with a speaker at the back of the radio, it should also show up at the control head as this is just wiring with the aforementioned jumper. I would be checking the connectors and control cable/control head to see why the speaker audio does not show up there. Don't think the option board is the prob.

You could try and enable the scrambler ( either the OPT or AUX function) and show your friends your best Donald Duck impression.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Sorry, just reread initial post. You are getting crappy audio from either the control head or the back of the radio. If this is the case the option board may indeed be the culprit. The way to make sure is to jumper the RX audio across the board's gazinta and gazouta.

Hows your TX audio. Loud and clear?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
S**t. Reading further you are getting good audio out to the back of the radio. Back to my first post.

It's getting late and the six pack is getting smaller. Confirm and set me straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.