Digital Scanner Radio for Berks Co. which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColKurtzCA

Premium Subscriber
Digital Scanner Radio for Berks Co. which one?

I'm a long time scanner guy. Been listing even since I was a kid using a tunable radio, then went to crystals, on to programmable, etc. I think I still have around 15 or so older scanners still sitting around, got rid of some over the years.

I think that it time to look for a new Digital Scanner Radio now that I’m back in PA after spending 34 years in CA. Since Berks Co in now on a P25 Phase II 700 MHz Trunked Radio System. I’ve been reading a lot of different comments both good and bad on my list below. I want something fairly easy to program, easier than my BC895XTL unit.

Now to figure out which one. Suggestions?

Uniden SDS100
Uniden SDS200
Uniden BCD436HP
Uniden BCD536HP
Uniden HomePatrol-2
Whistler TRX-1 Digital Scanner Radio
Whistler TRX-2 Digital Scanner Radio
Unication G4 700/800MHz P25 Phase II TDMA

David

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Hi & welcome to RR! Best bets to properly track this system are:
Uniden SDS100
Uniden SDS200

Plenty of discussion here about simulcast distortion of which this system suffers. Also note law enforcement is completely encrypted, designated by mode "DE" in the system. Only traffic you'll hear on the system is fire & EMS or any talkgroup listed as mode "T"

ColKurtzCA

Premium Subscriber
Hi & welcome to RR! Best bets to properly track this system are:
Uniden SDS100
Uniden SDS200

Plenty of discussion here about simulcast distortion of which this system suffers. Also note law enforcement is completely encrypted, designated by mode "DE" in the system. Only traffic you'll hear on the system is fire & EMS or any talkgroup listed as mode "T"
Would I need any add ons? DMR, NXDN, ProVoice? GPS maybe?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I'd definitely go with DMR & NXDN if you're interested in monitoring hospitals, educational institutions, school buses, various businesses, amateur radio, etc (lots more DMR than NXDN to listen to). If you only wanted to choose 1 of the 3, definitely go with DMR. The only system that utilizes Provoice on some of their talkgroups in our "area" is the Delaware River Port Authority. Provoice is an antiquated voice mode so might not be worth the upgrade

radio3353

To add to Whiskey's post, Unication is coming out with new software (release date TBD, in beta testing now, you can follow their progress in the RR Unication forum) to enable their pagers to operate as a scanner. In your case, that would allow you to listen to Berks North and South at the same time (if you are in range of both of course.) Right now the Unications are limited to listening to one system at a time. This is a game changer for the Unication pagers. They are top drawer commercial radios and if you want portability, they are a great choice - small, rugged, excellent weather protection and very low profile antenna. Simulcast reception is nothing short of excellent. You have three good choices to pick from.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
The caveat with the site above is that it lists every licensee with DMR & NXDN emissions on their frequency(ies). Just because the emissions designators are there doesn't necessarily mean that DMR or NXDN is definitely being used. I know a number of licensees in my area who are licensed for digital operation but still operate on analog

Status
Not open for further replies.