DMR and normal versus enhanced encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

piper9285

Thanks for confirming. I'd be curious if piper9285 has laid eyes on the radios used by Victoria Gardens. In any case it's a good catch.
No, I've never seen them. Actually, I never gave it any thought, until now. I will say this however, when I switch the radio to normal encryption, it scrambles the audio in the same manner, as you would hear, with any of the other radios listed with, "TE" in 5he mode box.

piper9285

Just a heads up, what is referred to as, "Digi Encrypt" is off. Put a other way, none of the so called, 32 "Keys" are being used. Just the enhanced encryption setting. So, does that, by definition, mean that the system is encrypted, and therefore off limits to monitoring?

Hit_Factor

Just a heads up, what is referred to as, "Digi Encrypt" is off. Put a other way, none of the so called, 32 "Keys" are being used. Just the enhanced encryption setting. So, does that, by definition, mean that the system is encrypted, and therefore off limits to monitoring?
You should probably talk to a lawyer at this point.

It's obvious that you want someone to say it's OK to monitor this particular encrypted traffic. Based on the fact that you can decrypt it using the default settings in your receiver.

It is illegal to decrypt signals you monitor. Simple as that. If you are part of the organization encrypting the signal and they hand you a radio that's different.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Something still sounds wrong here. Unless that company uses the same model of radio (or one of its variants) the odds of the default keys and algorithm being the same are probably astronomical.

You say none of the 32 keys are being used. Is this on your radio or theirs? Either way I'd venture to say if no key is used it's not encrypted.

I'm betting on your radio if you choose encryption and the received signal is in the clear you'll hear garbage. Since you state "Digi Encrypt" is off you probably aren't using encryption at all and the user is actually in the clear...but I could be wrong.

Astrak

If they happen to be using anytone or Btech radios and left the default keys in place all anyone would have to do is turn on digi encrypt. If digi encrypt is off they are not using encryption.

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
If you just so happen to stumble upon the correct PRIVACY code (not "encryption" like AES or DES) the first thing to do is not say anything about it. If you like listening to Victoria Gardens, that's your deal... you can decide whether it's worth it or not to listen. No one's going to come busting your door down unless you say something.

It's like what I learned as a kid in a theater program: the audience most likely won't know you messed up unless you tell them. ("Oops, ummm, wait, LINE?!," etc.)

piper9285

You should probably talk to a lawyer at this point.

It's obvious that you want someone to say it's OK to monitor this particular encrypted traffic. Based on the fact that you can decrypt it using the default settings in your receiver.

It is illegal to decrypt signals you monitor. Simple as that. If you are part of the organization encrypting the signal and they hand you a radio that's different.

Actually, no, I'm simply trying to get some clarification on this. But, I think I have a better idea to determine if this is an issue, and that's to just wait until I get my scanner back. If the audio is scrambled up in that, then I will have my answer.

piper9285

If you just so happen to stumble upon the correct PRIVACY code (not "encryption" like AES or DES) the first thing to do is not say anything about it. If you like listening to Victoria Gardens, that's your deal... you can decide whether it's worth it or not to listen. No one's going to come busting your door down unless you say something.

Well, the fact of the matter is, I'm not trying to do something illegal. Put another way, I came here, looking for an answer, whatever that is, to determine if it is, or is not okay. But, hindsight being 20/20, I'm thinking my scanner, that is currently in the shop, will give me the best answer. As for it being my, "deal", when I look at the thousands of obscure listings of various private entities, in the database, I'm sort of confused as to what that even means. So, I think the simple answer is to not even have it in the radio, until a dumber device provides the best answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.