• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kc9lfd

Premium Subscriber
I would like to apologize if this isn't the est place to post about DMR-related questions. I didn't see a dedicated DMR board and this seemed seemed as close as I could find.

My question is about DMR radios equipped with GPS for location sharing -- does anyone know of a DMR that can be equipped with built-in mapping to show the location of members in a talkgroup; this would mimic the function of the Garmin Rino radios which use FRS and GMRS but I'd like to take advantage of DMR's modern goodness, repeaters, and hotspots. ☺️

I'm still in the process of researching but I thought I would reach out and pick the brains of those more experienced than myself

--Jamie

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
No, DMR data/location is intended to be used by the dispatch console, not another end user (field radio). Now there are some DMR radios that supposedly can do APRS, both send and receive, but I'm not sure how well any of those radios work on the APRS receive. Typically an APRS beacon gives you call sign, distance and bearing to the beaconing radio.

Now Yaesu System Fusion bakes in location a bit better, similar to APRS, without a separate beacon, you see call sign, distance and beacon of the talking radio. I haven't tired it on simplex, but I'm sure it would work there as well.

None of these options would give you a map like the Rino system.

kc9lfd

Premium Subscriber
No, DMR data/location is intended to be used by the dispatch console, not another end user (field radio). Now there are some DMR radios that supposedly can do APRS, both send and receive, but I'm not sure how well any of those radios work on the APRS receive.

None of these options would give you a map like the Rino system.

@tweiss3, thank you, that's very helpful! ☺️

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
@tweiss3, thank you, that's very helpful! ☺
I believe only P25 location data can be shared between radios of the same same brand I.e. Harris to Harris with situational awareness enabled will show up on the gps map within the radio menu

dazey77

I have been pondering whether this is possible by using a custom Garmin Connect IQ app with a bluetooth connection to a DMR radio. Its possible on the Garmin side I believe but so far I am at a brick wall with the bluetooth -DMR bit. I think its technically viable but finding the info is kinda impossible. (obviously it would be a two unit solution, not a one like the Rino)

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Network-Radios may have something that fills the bill.... here is one example of the type of devices they sell -
Runbo P5 4G DMR VHF/UHF
And the protocols being discussed here (YSF, APRS, etc) probably put this thread into one of the Amateur Radio Digital forums.

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
There is DMR APRS that goes thru the Brandmeister network on TG 310999 for hams. Myself holding the Anytone 878UV II plus and the Alinco DJ-MD5XTG

Status
Not open for further replies.