DMR in NC

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to map out Novant Forsyth Hospital in WS and hopefully someone can help me out. There is heavy traffic on 461.9125 color 7, which is an expired license for them (WQAG271). It appears to be a one frequency DMR channel, using TG1, TG2, & TG3. Both TG2 & TG3 are referred to as "Command 1", used by security personnel. TG1 I've yet to ID. I'm sure engineering/facilities has a TG too but I haven't discovered it yet.

It looks like the Kernersville and Clemmons Novant facilities have active licenses however. Is it common place for companies to use expired licenses? Any insight would be great

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Listening to two DMR systems in Raleigh, sounds like corporate security, but can't find anything in the FCC database to help me figure them out.

464.8625 S- 1&2 CC-1 TGID-2
464.6625 S-1 CC-1 TGID-101

Both are active nights and weekends.

Anyone else able to help here?

Listening to two DMR systems in Raleigh, sounds like corporate security, but can't find anything in the FCC database to help me figure them out.

464.8625 S- 1&2 CC-1 TGID-2
464.6625 S-1 CC-1 TGID-101

Both are active nights and weekends.

Anyone else able to help here?

464.825 is licensed to the Kane Realty Corporation of Raleigh. Their licenses shows 11K3F3E (narrowband)(WQBM333) with 4 channels listed as an FB8, which is a "trunked relay"

464.6625 is licensed to Duke Raleigh Hospital, 3400 Wake Forest Rd, and that license also (WQNX647) shows narrowband FM (11K2F3E) for the emission designator.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
464.825 is licensed to the Kane Realty Corporation of Raleigh. Their licenses shows 11K3F3E (narrowband)(WQBM333) with 4 channels listed as an FB8, which is a "trunked relay"

Possible but that puts them off frequency as I'm definitely hearing the freq 464.8625.

464.6625 is licensed to Duke Raleigh Hospital, 3400 Wake Forest Rd, and that license also (WQNX647) shows narrowband FM (11K2F3E) for the emission designator.

Again, possible, but Duke Durham uses mostly Viper and the quantity and type of traffic does not sound like a medical facility.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Was down in Cary, near RTP and came across a couple new DMR freqs to pass on...

Biogen IDEC RTP Durham
462.1375 Slot 1 and 2 CC 1, TGID 25
464.3875 Slot 1 and 2 CC 1, TGID 22
464.3875 Slot 1 CC 1 TGID 25

Research Triangle Institute (RTI), RTP Durham
463.275 Slot 1 CC 1 TGID 1 (sounded like security)

Unknown RTP Durham
463.5125 Slot 2 CC 1 TGID 201

Have not submitted them to database.

Unknown RTP Durham
463.5125 Slot 2 CC 1 TGID 201

Have not submitted them to database.

463.5125 is Piedmont Communications, single site DMR, 4 channels, site is located
Other freqs for system are 452.0125 452.4375 462.0875 463.5125, license showing FM narrowband and TRBO emissions

WPPZ284
.4 MI FROM INT US HWY 70 E
DURHAM, NC DURHAM County 35-56-30.0 N, 078-48-33.0 W

Eligibility
90.35A1 - APPLICANT PROPOSES TO SUPPLY ON A COMMERCIAL BASIS MOBILE RELAY SERVICE TO ELIGIBLES UNDER FCC RULES.

If anyone is working on Public Service Company of North Carolina (Utilities DMR), WQLV395. The Licensee is located in South Carolina, so needless to say, an F.C.C. uls will need to be targeted to S.C. Take care

PSNC Energy is owned by SCANA, which explains the Cayce SC address.

PSNC used to have Motorola Type II systems in Gastonia, Asheville, Raleigh and Durham. They had 900mhz analog conventional repeaters in about eight other towns (Concord, mountains, etc). My last time in the area was 2010 and the availability of Type II radios in 900mhz was an issue. They were taking Maxtracs from the conventional areas, transferring them to the truncked areas and getting Kenwoods for conventional use (a great plan).

There was talk to try to switch to VHF, but I have not been back since to see what happened. Good to see they switched.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
The Gildan plant in Mocksville, NC is using MotoTrbo anyone have info on them ?

Good luck if you are using the BCD436/536 to monitor Mototrbo. I've tried mapping out unknown CAP+ and Con+ Mototrbo systems for the past few months with very little success. I can monitor RJ Reynolds Con+ system fairly well conventionally here in Winston-Salem but as a Mototrbo trunked system I miss a lot of conversations. I'm thinking there still is work to be done before the Unidens properly scan known or unknown Mototrbo systems.

troymail

Silent Key
I have a few already mapped systems in my area that are CON and CAP but the 436 isn't handling them very well. If I program the frequencies are conventional, I definitely hear more and other conventional DMR frequencies are heard fairly well too. It seems like the processing of the control information isn't working all that well - at least, not unless you have a really solid control channel and/or are fairly close the the system(s).

Some of this may be related to the shielding discussions going on in other Uniden threads (I've applied several layers of copper tape to my battery door just to get the reception I am getting).

Following the discovery of the shield and noise issuses and taken action with the copper tape, my 436 does hear more in the UHF range. However, my Whistlers are still hearing quite a bit more of this activity than the 436 does (again, unless I program the frequencies as conventional - which has a bad side effect as the Uniden tends to "hang" on control, data and/or other none voice activity when programmed as conventional).

Oh, and the Whistlers work better (in my opinion) because you don't need to figure out all that LCN stuff to program them - which makes it a breeze to program regardless of conventional, CON, CAP, etc.

Last edited:

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Got several hits today from a dump truck or concrete company on a CON+ system. The frequency was 454.625 Color 13. When it comes up as a conventional channel, the net is 2016, site 12 and the TGID (which I missed). The conversations mentioned Hwy 150 & Hwy 16 (which is in Denver) as well as I-77. This is well beyond my listening range from Winston-Salem with my BCD436. After looking at the FCC license search, there is no 454.625 registered in all of NC for voice, only paging & radio telephone (License # KUS287).

I'm thinking this is part of a system like FleetTalk only its a CON+ system. Any insights of what I'm picking up?

Got another hit today with a CON+ system with Net 2016, this time listed as site 8. The 2 main users were a trucking company and Charlotte-Mecklenburg school busses on 452.975, CC13. All discussions mentioned Charlotte road names, so I'm thinking this is a linked Charlotte site. Anyone down that way have more insight?

JSteel

Premium Subscriber
DMR newbie questions

Hi everyone,

I'm getting back into the hobby after a several year absence, and I just picked up a new BCD436HP over the weekend (along with the DMR upgrade). I'm really enjoying it so far. However, I'm running into some confusion with trying to get DMR monitoring up and running on the scanner, and hoping to get some help.

For example, I noticed in the digitalfrequencysearch.com listings that Lenovo has a DMR system set up. The manual suggested that I set DMR up as a conventional system in order to monitor and gather up the other settings, which I've done. I have only entered the site frequencies (noted as FB2 in the database), and not the mobiles, based on feedback gathered from the forums. I set the two channels as the site frequencies, with color code search active, using Sentinel.

So today I'm testing it out. I'm picking up traffic on one of the frequencies, but not the other. The color code will flash up on the screen for a fraction of a second and disappear, but long enough for me to see that it's a 3 (and long enough to trip the alert light). The slot also flashes up at the same time, and it's a 1. Rarely, I will see a color code of 7, same slot. I'm also seeing the CAP indicator flash up, so I know it's a Capacity+ setup. But I'm getting zero voice, no TGID indications, etc.

So here are the questions:

1. Reading back through the manual, it looks like I actually need to set this up as a MotoTRBO system (since it's a Cap+ system), with the two sites actually set up as sites instead of channels. Is that correct?
  2. Do I also need to enter the mobile frequencies in addition to the base stations?
  3. Assuming I have the system set up correctly above, how do I then look for active talk groups?

I see elsewhere in the thread that folks are having problems monitoring MotoTRBO systems, which is unfortunate. Given the difficulties that others are having, I'm a little doubtful that I'll get this to work before Uniden pushes a DMR processing update sometime in the future, but thought I'd at least ask!

Thanks all!
Jeff

Last edited:

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Sent to database
Mylan Pharmaceuticals Warehouse Greensboro
463.3375 LCN 0
452.1000 LCN 1
CC 1

TGID 3 Slot 1 and Slot 2 - Warehouse Ops/SecurityBoth Slots logged for some reason
TGID 5 also went active But not identified

Last edited:

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Sent to database
Mylan Pharmaceuticals Warehouse Greensboro
463.3375 LCN 0
452.1000 LCN 1
CC 1

TGID 3 Slot 1 and Slot 2 - Warehouse Ops/SecurityBoth Slots logged for some reason
TGID 5 also went active But not identified

System is a CAP system

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
DMR - the what-fors

Sorry, after doing some research I am not clear on DMR, it's technology, and where it is used. Is it just another digital management system like P25? Are there scanners able to decode it? I see where some are using SDR for this. What is the appeal, interest, etc. for DMR?

I guess I am once again asking for some sage smart input. Thanks.. Brian

thrownout27

Premium Subscriber
I live in Haywood County with a 436hp on the way for Christmas. Anyone have any reason I should look at Provoice and DMR upgrades? I will be able to monitor Haywood and Buncombe County and will often travel to the Carteret County area as well in the future.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
I live in Haywood County with a 436hp on the way for Christmas. Anyone have any reason I should look at Provoice and DMR upgrades? I will be able to monitor Haywood and Buncombe County and will often travel to the Carteret County area as well in the future.

Unless you travel a lot out of state, Provoice isn't worth it since nobody in NC uses it anymore(Johnston Co just switched from EDACS Provoice to a P25 system).

Several Haywood County VFD's have DMR private and tactical channels as well as Cataloochee Ski Resort & other businesses run DMR in that area. If you have an interest in listening to these agencies, DMR is most certainly worth the money to upgrade.

NYRHKY94

Hello NC Scanner Members:

Hope all is well with everyone! DMR reception/programming question for the group that I'm hoping some members here can assist with. I'm located in Southport in Brunswick County using a Uniden BCD536HP with the DMR upgrade. I have programmed the DMR frequencies listed in the FCC database for Brunswick (which is not many), but to date have not heard a single DMR transmission. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong with the programming, it's a reception issue or the frequencies are just not in use here yet (Brunswick County Schools, Brunswick County Transit).

Any help and/or advice would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mike
Southport NC

troymail

Silent Key
Hello NC Scanner Members:

Hope all is well with everyone! DMR reception/programming question for the group that I'm hoping some members here can assist with. I'm located in Southport in Brunswick County using a Uniden BCD536HP with the DMR upgrade. I have programmed the DMR frequencies listed in the FCC database for Brunswick (which is not many), but to date have not heard a single DMR transmission. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong with the programming, it's a reception issue or the frequencies are just not in use here yet (Brunswick County Schools, Brunswick County Transit).

Any help and/or advice would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mike
Southport NC

Hi Mike -

You're right - not much DMR here in Brunswick. I'm in Ocean Isle right now and have been down several times this year - the last time being the week after Matthew passed by.

I do think I received some Brunswick Transit on one trip but I can't recall for certain. I think there is some DMR usage around the hospital off Rt 17. Sometimes the license data is wrong - says they are DMR but they aren't; says they are analog but they've started using DMR, etc.

For most DMR, you need to be pretty darn close to hear anything (but as always, there are some exceptions).