• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DMR TG99 - DMRsimplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4KVE

Since this does not involve the repeater, you can use any color code to make the group somewhat private. With modern scanners and radios like the CS 580, there is nothing in the ham band that cannot be monitored. CC 1 and TG 99 are the defaults most use, but there is no requirement to that combo.
Exactly. Otherwise everyone would be using 146.52 for analog simplex. Could you imagine trying to keep in touch with your friends at a ham fest on 146.52? This is why my friends, & I do NOT use the established simplex freq's. We do not want to cause interference to others.

ertony

In the documentation that I have read, DMR talk group 99 is listed as DMRsimplex. However, when I program this talk group into DMR simplex channels in my radios, I am not able to talk from radio to radio when a DMR simplex frequency is selected. Is this not the correct use of talk group 99?

John AC4JK

Surprised nobody was able to answer your simple question.

There are 2 possibilities you have come to your predicament:

The reason you are only getting a receive indicator light and no audio is because the transmitting radio simplex talkgroup is set to transmit as a "private" call. You must configure your radios to transmit as a "group" call. The workaround to fix your already programmed radios is turn "monitor mode" or "promiscuous mode" on (depending on your radio) and it will break the squelch and allow you to hear the transmission. Otherwise, you will have to go in and change your transmit to "group call".

The other possibility if you have a radio like the Radioddity GD--77 or anything that runs on its platform (baofeng rd-5r, etc) is that you MUST have a Receive Group programmed into your channel or it will not open squelch (unless you again, turn on 'monitor mode' or 'promiscuous mode'). The fix is to create a "Receive Group" with the "Simplex" talkgroup in it (99) and put it as your "Receive Group" on your simplex channel.

Last edited:

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
**PROBLEM SOLVED**

John AC4JK

John,
Good to see its "fixed", but the clear source of the problem not really clear. It's kind of like PCB swapping which I never liked, but sometimes we had no other timely options.

For those commenting on two radios not talking to each other with the same ID, my Anytone868 does not care and the CS580 does.

Mike

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, but this simplex issue is 'old news' by now.

Over the past months, I've moved on from the original DMR handhelds (MD380 and Tekk500) to an Anytone AT-D868 and, more recently, an Ailunce HD-1. Learning a lot!

- John AC4JK

Status
Not open for further replies.