DMR tier 3 system H4

kb3ouk

Premium Subscriber
Tuning around with the sdr and dsd+ this afternoon and stumbled across a control channel I don't remember seeing before. The frequency is 464.000, DSD is showing it is a tier 3 system, site H4-29.1, DCC is 7. I let it sit for a while to see if there was any traffic, only thing I saw after about an hour was a group call on TG 400000, channel ID was 2244 for that call. I did some crude direction finding with a portable radio and seems like it is coming from the direction of Clarks Knob near Chambersburg, and comparing the signal strength to some other known frequencies from that location supports that theory. Anyone know what this is? Also, what would the frequency of channel 2244 be?

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Site 224 McConnellsburg Fulton County (Tuscarora)
464.0000 would be the LSN 2244 (LCN 1121)

This would be a new site.

Last edited:

RMason

Premium Subscriber
Tuning around with the sdr and dsd+ this afternoon and stumbled across a control channel I don't remember seeing before. The frequency is 464.000, DSD is showing it is a tier 3 system, site H4-29.1, DCC is 7. I let it sit for a while to see if there was any traffic, only thing I saw after about an hour was a group call on TG 400000, channel ID was 2244 for that call. I did some crude direction finding with a portable radio and seems like it is coming from the direction of Clarks Knob near Chambersburg, and comparing the signal strength to some other known frequencies from that location supports that theory. Anyone know what this is? Also, what would the frequency of channel 2244 be?
Have you ruled this out?

kb3ouk

Premium Subscriber
Yea I figured out how the tier 3 LCN/LSN calculator worked after I posted that amd realized 2244 was basically slot 2 on 464. It really came to life right around 5 pm with techs talking back and forth and testing. I tried seeing which direction I could get a null towards again and I do have one towards Mcconnellsburg, but it is funny that this control channel is way stronger than the MADRN control on 454.450 from the same site, considering I can see the towers from here.

kb3ouk

Premium Subscriber
Honestly I'm surprised it decoded anything, considering I'm running dsd+ 1.101 from many years ago, since I really don't mess with DMR or NXDN that often which is what I use it for. Which info would be different from standard vs nonstandard?

seagravebuff60

Office Assistant
Feed Provider
Honestly I'm surprised it decoded anything, considering I'm running dsd+ 1.101 from many years ago, since I really don't mess with DMR or NXDN that often which is what I use it for. Which info would be different from standard vs nonstandard?
So, DSD+ Fast Lane 2.457 or newer is required to display this system correctly. Version 1.101 doesn't have the option to differentiate between Standard and Non-Standard systems. It needs to be set up as a DMR Non-Standard system because it is a DMR TIII Non-Standard system, which differs from a DMR TIII Standard system. The difference is that Standard systems typically display the site as an area.site like Hytera, Tait, and some others, while Non-Standard displays the site as integers like CapMax and others like Selex.

They are running Selex Hardware (At least for the Goosetown Sites; im not sure about Triangle). Also, forcing it to Non-Standard will correct the system ID and Network Model; H3 Is the correct System ID, not H4. It will also correct the site id to a decimal number rather then area.site, the correct site is 224, not 29.1. You can read more about the system here: OneVoice MAX - The RadioReference Wiki

This is an example of what the correct info looks like in DSD+:
1721142800367.png
You can see above that the .frequencies file forced the TIII Network Type. You can also force it "on the fly" in the control options.
1721143409958.png