BCD325P2/BCD996P2: BCD325P2 Tier 3 Capacity Max Support

dachs494

You're welcome and it should be there now.
Capacity Max has been working very well so far. However, I did notice a small bug with the scanner not detecting the late entry messages that Capacity Max sends over the control channel. The 325P2 does not see those messages, making it difficult to monitor talkgroups until the initial voice call grant is sent over the control channel again, especially if your signal fades or you are monitoring multiple talkgroups. This specific CapMax system seems to broadcast those late entry messages for every call. Not a huge issue, but it is very noticeable on busier systems, and I thought I should mention it.

This is what DSDPlus sees during a voice call while holding on the control channel. The 325P2 ignores these:
Code:
2024.07.31 12:25:14  +DMR           slot1         BS DATA       DCC=15  CSBK  ECC/RAS Tier III MOT LateEntry  Tgt=999944 Ch=866

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Can you tell if the scanner is switching to the voice channel or does it stay on the control channel?

cg

Premium Subscriber
Does nothing. I think you are getting at if it is incorrect channel numbers. There is no flicker of jumping to another (incorrect) channel and quickly back.
I have been trying to use the data dump to match up with known good channels and have programmed multiple similar systems with voice channels higher and lower than what I believe is correct with no luck.
Perhaps it is RAS that messes it up but there must be channels there somewhere in the data stream.

dachs494

Can you tell if the scanner is switching to the voice channel or does it stay on the control channel?
I'm not sure if you were directing that towards me or cg, but in my case, the scanner stays on the control channel because it doesn't see the CC is sending a late entry message to tune to a voice call where the initial grant information was missed.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I created CC dump files from a Uniden 996P2 with v1.11.04 firmware and, with great assistance from an outside source, compared with the CC data coming from a SDR.
It appears that the Uniden scanners may be trying a "one size fits all" approach to the various DMR TIII systems. Hytera does not put the information for frequencies in a single line but uses a multi block approach which requires the frequencies (TX/RX) to be found in a second block. It is this second block with frequency info which appears to not being seen properly by the Uniden radios.

chris

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
FWIW, I'm seeing weirdness with the latest firmware and FreeSCAN. It seems writing my previous (well-tested) codeplug into the 996P2 has caused some issues. The keypad and buttons became unresponsive even after a power-cycle of the scanner. Somehow it recovered the first time. The 2nd time though, I couldn't get the scanner to respond at all. I had to wipe the scanner memory using the factory reset.

(To be clear, I was just scanning a P25 trunk system and holding on various sites. After a couple of HOLD presses, the scanner wouldn't release.)

Not sure what changed so just FYI for FreeSCAN users.

licpl8man

Premium Subscriber
I saw there was a firmware update for the 325P2 that was supposed to address the trunk tracking issues with TIII, so I updated. It made no difference. My scanner still locks onto the control channel but will not pick up any activity. My Whistler TRX1 will pick up the voice traffic so I know I’m able to receive the system from my location. The system in question is “Homeland Defense Network”, formerly Marcus Communications in western CT

scannerhead

I'm experiencing the same issue as dachs494 but on the BCD436HP and SDS100. A new CAPMAX system that's not in the database yet. Don't know if it's Hytera or not.

Units can be talking on talkgroup and if you turn the vol/sq knob it returns to the control channel and stays there until a new channel grant is sent even though they are still talking on that talkgroup. And if you are scanning 2 or more sites and miss the beginning of a transmission because the scanner was on another site (and miss the initial channel grant) the scanner just sits on the control channel. Any situation where you miss the original channel grant and the scanner behaves as if no talkgroups are in use.

I've got another CAPMAX system Motorola Solutions AZ Airtime DT3 Trunking System, Phoenix, Arizona that works as expected. It's a Motorola system based on it's name.

Thanks for looking into this.

cg

Premium Subscriber
CapMax is a Motorola Tier III product. Hytera system would simply be a Hytera Tier III. They do not behave the same.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Can those experiencing issues create a log file and PM to me with system info? (preferably a RR link)