Do i something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I got my Tecsun AN-200 and this adapter:
s-l500.jpg

from this i have 2 adapter the the ballun.

Top: With Antenna
Bottom: Without Antenna

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 790

Rred

Clever little adapter! What do they call it, and where can it be ordered from?

Your_account

Banned
Ebay Tscheina: 151440679237
2x for $3,63 USD shipping include (Europe -> Austria) and Yes it was in USD.

Your_account

Banned
The link depend on the country you life in. In my case I use the .de Site (and no I am not from Germany...).

Your_account

Banned
I receive just rubbish but no Radio or anything.
What is wrong? Wich Pin are use on the Antenna? R + Ground?

majoco

Stirrer
I imagine the tip is the antenna and the sleeve is the ground - works for me. The throw-out wire that came with my Degen 1103 only has tip and sleeve.

Your_account

Banned
The tecsun have 3 l, r ,g.
I hope someone have the antenna here to.

majoco

Stirrer
I don't understand why you have bought this connector when the AN-200 comes with a lead with a three terminal connector at each end.

Attachments

• AN200-MW-Loop-Antenna.jpg
    AN200-MW-Loop-Antenna.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 388

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Without knowing precisely which SDR you're using (I assume it's a RTL-SDR type with an upconverter), it's nearly impossible to be precise - but I suspect that little adapter by itself isn't going to work. At least some SDRs use F connectors, and that's a good old fashioned stereo plug that is often used on portables. You would need some sort of jumper that goes from a 1/8 inch stereo female to a male F connector (if that's what your SDR uses)

Next, keep in mind that antenna is only useful on the MW band (540-1600 khz). You must tune that antenna using that knob on the side. It won't work very well, if at all, higher than that. You will also likely have to adjust your gain on the SDR as that antenna doesn't have any amplification on it.

Mike

Your_account

Banned
Hi
I got this:
http://www.rtl-sdr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/BalunOneNine.jpg (Image is to large for direkt post).
A friend of mine say that i need this. Sorry I dont understand why or what does it do but when he say....
(Sadly he cant explain it .....)
I know its just for MW. In my Dads car (we have no other radio with mw) I got some Radio Channels in good Quality. With the Antenna -> nothing
The interesting question is which R or L is the "life" one? The Internet say R.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That *might* work; however a much better (and more likely to work) approach is to get something off of a FM/AM stereo tuner. Many of these have an AM loop antenna that goes to a little black box, then is connected to the tuner. That little black box is what you want

It would take a considerable amount of explanation as to why - in fact, my old theory textbook has 3 chapters devoted to the subject - so at the risk of HIGHLY oversimplifying the issue, here goes nothing. Your loop is presenting a balanced load through those wires. (You can tell this by examining the wires - they're identical in every detail). It's likely someplace around 5 kohm or so. Your SDR expects a coax type load, which is typically 50-75 ohms or so (that's dependent on the SDR itself, I'm broadly generalizing here). So as you can see, we have a significant mismatch. Under such conditions. very little RF will flow. We need a transformer to go from a BALanced load to an UNbalanced load. Such a device is called a BALUN. The one in your pic might work, but it's more intended for use with antennas with a twin lead lead in or a single wire. It MAY work if the loop is presenting a load of around 450 ohms or so (which I doubt, frankly, but it's possible). It also might work if the antenna connection on the SDR is a bit more forgiving.

Still I think the balun from the AM loop antenna from a stereo tuner is much more likely to give better results. However the only thing you'll damage with trying what you've shown is your wallet if it doesn't work

Mike

majoco

Stirrer
The part number of the SDR would help too - most of them have the socket you have shown on the balun, or just the push-on variety.

Last edited:

Your_account

Banned
The part number of the SDR would help too
the are from china. The are (a clone of) the RTL whatever T2. I have some with a Power output and some without.

majoco

Stirrer
They are all from China. I assume you mean one of these....the antenna socket is a with SMA female - your antenna lead needs the male pin. Why have you got a balun - what frequencies do you want to cover?

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
He got himself an AN-200 MW antenna (likely a knock off, as both Tecsun and Degen sell the same antenna), and he'll need to transform the loads.

He was thinking of getting one of those 9:1 baluns that are set up to work with these little SDRs, but as I tried to (over)simply explain to him, I kinda doubt the ratio is high enough to do the job. That's why I also suggested he get one of those little baluns that often come with an MW antenna when you get a FM stereo tuner - it's much more likely to work better

I'm pretty sure the OP is in Austria, and that is one of the many things that is heavily restricting what he can do...

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just a quick catch up - I'm pretty sure he's using an upconverter with his RTL stick, since these sticks don't go much below 25 Mhz or so...onward...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.