Documentation suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE7Q

Premium Subscriber
1. Document that there are Department Quick Keys, and how to use them. Nice feature, but you have to TELL SOMEONE!!! I figured it out by reading the similar feature in number tags.

2. Have a section where you define common terms. Example: Fire Tone-Out. I can only guess at what that is, from the ugly noises that come from my scanners on fire alert frequencies.

3. Define the difference between "Search" and "Scan". A Google search for "scan vs search" shows the "RadioReference.com" site at the top of this list for this question being asked, across the entire universe. I happen to think of a "scan" as in scanning the horizon for a particular type of item, or scanning a frequency range for a signal. I think of "search" as looking for a PARTICULAR item, as in searching a list (or matching a list against TGIDs). Uniden's usage of these terms seems backwards to me. OK, Uniden is not going to change, so I guess I'll have to (arrgghh). However, a quick definition AND EXAMPLE (rather than relying on the user doing a Google search) seems like a good idea.

4. Page 34: "You cannot assign a Quick Key in one Favorites List to another Favorites List." Do you mean "You cannot assign a Quick Key FOR one Favorites List to another Favorites List."?

5. Page 34: "Favorites List Quick Keys can only be assigned once to any one Favorites List," What does "once" mean? This is confusing. Also, end that sentence with a period, not a comma (typo).

I want to add that this manual is a HUGE improvement over the BCD996XT manual. As one of my friends called the former, "user hostile". So, some of the above suggestions were also applicable to the BCD996XT documentation, but I never made the suggestions because there were other, much more important issues. Now that the documentation is reasonable, I think, some fervent nit-picking is in order. I have reluctantly assigned myself that task.

Another idea: Have two manuals (both in English - grin):

1. A basic "quick start" manual that describes how to get up and running, and common, basic operations.
2. An "advanced" manual, describing "Fire Tone-Out", "Close Call", and the like.

Icom has gone to this in some of their recent products, and I happen to think it's a REALLY GOOD IDEA. I also happen to think that good documentation is the key to a successful technology product.

ps: You have two BCDx36HP manuals on your site:

1. BCD536HPom.pdf, dated Jan 23 09:05. This seems to be the better manual.
2. 436_536_OM_20140130.pdf, dated Jan 30 06:37. The Linux utility "pdfinfo" hangs when trying to give basic info about the file, the file is missing some images, and gives some garbage characters when read in decreasing page order by Adobe Acrobat Reader (v9).

EDIT: oops, can this be moved to the correct forum?

Last edited:

AE7Q

Premium Subscriber
Also, document that when you connect a GPS, it will set the clock on the BCD536HP. Not immediately, but after about ten minutes of valid NMEA input.

TedRHayes

Also, document that when you connect a GPS, it will set the clock on the BCD536HP. Not immediately, but after about ten minutes of valid NMEA input.

I was completely unaware of this "feature"; does it also apply to the BCD436HP? If so, that explains why the clock in my scanner stays pretty accurate, as I frequently use it with a GPS!

xrorx

Premium Subscriber
And how about a service manual so we can see how the new scanners really work?

AE7Q

Premium Subscriber
I was completely unaware of this "feature"; does it also apply to the BCD436HP?
How am I supposed to know that? As I said, it's undocumented.

Contact someone who has a 436, and have them manually set the clock to about 2-5 minutes slow, and then connect the GPS and wait about 10-15 minutes to see if the clock changes to the correct time.

Oh wait, YOU have a 436 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.