Does Anybody Here Use A Separate Radio To Scan SOA Simplex Channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am just wondering if anybody here uses a separate scanner to just scan the Scene Of Action simplex channels here in Minnesota?

dwgelle

It doesn't really pay to monitor a SOA, unless you have a high gain antenna or you are closer enough to monitor any since it's short range transmissions. Usually on scene communications where either they don't have good in building coverage from the system or don't want to tie up the system. Portables only put out about 3-4 watts mobiles 35. The SOAs are not used in base radios.

But if I had a spare scanner I would.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
I think the first time i ever even used a SOA channel (in the 8 years that i have been using ARMER) was when Nate put it on the ICS205 for the Lake City Funeral.

My suspicion is that the most common user of the SOA's is the BCA, but they have action pending with the SRB to encrypt their activity on those frequencies. Maybe there is much more activity on the SOA's with LE than i know about, but generally speaking, most end users really don't have a great concept of how the system even works aside from when they PTT, it works.

In the metro, we have 13 SOA resources, 6 are Project25, 7 are analog and 2 of the analog resources have a repeater.

And honestly, If an agency doesn't have 10 times as many resources on ARMER as they will ever need, then their System Techs are not meeting the unwritten standard.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I've had them programmed in for 6 or 7 years an have yet to hear anything on them. Seems like there is a better use to a spare scanner than scanning those.

Status
Not open for further replies.