Does packet radio still exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GW7MGW

I have Amiga A1200 computer kept as the baycom modern would not work with a PC as the PC is too fast, but don't know if there is still packet radio, if not I may as well dump it all.

n5ims

What is your definition of "Packet Radio"? The technology is heavily used for APRS. Also WinLink can use packet technology for its transmissions. There are still digipeaters up in areas to help extend the signals. Some ARES/RACES groups do exercises where they transmit information using packet technology to make sure that the information is passed accurately. I understand that there are still a few packet BBS out there, but none are in my area that I'm aware of.

RBMTS

A Commodore Amiga 1200???? Holy cow is that an oldie but goodie.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A Commodore Amiga 1200???? Holy cow is that an oldie but goodie.

We used Amiga 2000's and Amiga 1200's (I think) in video production. Video Toaster was the name of the software, I think. Forgot all about those.

Yeah APRS is packet. Probably still a few diehards out there running it, but not sure about the UK.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I used to run the ka9q Net program on my Amiga 2000 in the early days of TCP/IP over packet.

Never had a Video Toaster but I did have a Janus board and a serial port expansion board.

Not sure about Wales but APRS and WinLink is still alive here.

wtp

try the international space station. 145.825

from a communicate with the ISS website
VHF Packet Uplink and Downlink: 145.825 (Worldwide)
UHF Packet Uplink and Downlink: 437.550

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
There are little 'pockets of packet' around the world. They are sparse. You'd have to check locally to see if anyone is running straight AX25 in your area. We have two AX25 bulletin board sites active on 145.01 mHz near me in Winnipeg, Canada.

One runs FBB software (VE4BBS) F6FBB Pages: FBB Packet-Radio BBS (Has been running continuously since the 80's)

The other runs JNOS. (VE4KLM) https://www.langelaar.net/jnos2/ (The current JNOS software maintainer is a friend of mine)

It's not like it was back in the 80's but I can fire up a terminal program then connect to, and send and receive messages on the systems. The long haul message forwarding takes place over the internet now and not on HF as was used in the past.

GW7MGW

I forgot about satellite, think I did it once, really embarrassed, as I thought some one was using 145.850 instead of 144.850 and sent a message to inform them of there mistake, but it was no mistake it was an English school teacher talking to schools from Mir space craft, ups!

Only heard one guy using 2 meter or 70 cm in this area full stop, so it seems amateur radio for me is dead, I have had a good innings really started around 1984 as a VP8, then GW7 and then VR2 and back to GW7, but my move from North Wales to Mid Wales seems to mean unless I start using HF amateur radio for me is finished, the handy is used to listen to local heritage railway, but that is about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.