DPS and TXDOT in San Antonio area

SA_tx_88116

Rather listen than to stream
Are there any good DPS/DOT frequencies I should program? I hear a lot of traffic on DPS I listen to the common air and surveillance channels as well as the dispatch and mobile frequencies for New Braunfels and SA although all I heard on air was a guy asking if anyone called on air when no one did and some traffic stops. But I have a question what are the mobile channels for? If I only listen to the dispatch channel it seems as if the operator is talking to himself is it like a duplex thing? And I hear no traffic on DOT anyone know any good frequencies on there?

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
DPS Troopers transmit on the mobile frequency which is monitored by the dispatcher, the dispatcher responds on the base frequency which is monitored by the Trooper. The dispatcher also has control to change to repeater operation so other Troops will hear each other using the same frequency pair so they don't have to change channels.

You'll need to be close to a Trooper to hear them on the mobile frequencies.

Troopers mostly use their in-car computer for everything they need, traffic stops, motorist assists, crashes, etc. can all be self-initiated by the Trooper, as well as running info through NCIC/TCIC. The dispatcher can also assign the Trooper a call and never have to use the radio.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
DPS local to me uses a lot of multi-select where they key up multiple resources at once. They aren't patched so you will only hear the mobile if you are listening to whatever resource they are on (conventional/trunked). I'd try the GATRRS sites in SA and see if you hear them there.

I'd try the GATRRS sites for TxDOT also.

SA_tx_88116

Rather listen than to stream
DPS local to me uses a lot of multi-select where they key up multiple resources at once. They aren't patched so you will only hear the mobile if you are listening to whatever resource they are on (conventional/trunked). I'd try the GATRRS sites in SA and see if you hear them there.

I'd try the GATRRS sites for TxDOT also.
What would be the best GATRRS site to use

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
Per a DPS dispatcher they are still duplex in SA 155.445 dispatch, 154.695 mobiles. Many troopers now have Motorola APX handhelds and access to all the area trunked systems. I have heard them assist Castle Hills PD on their channel and also heard them on the LCRA trunked system talking with Live Oak. The DPS talkgroups listed in the AARRS database are patched occasionally, but their primary comms are not for now. Some troopers use 39067 on the AARRS, but it's more of a link for SAPD or BCSO to call the DPS dispatcher directly. DPS around here is heavily on local task forces (TAG unit, Street Crimes, Lone Star Fugitive.) They are on all the channels we can't monitor anymore.

TXDOT was on 151.055 P25 last I heard them working on some roads. The best is to program the channels in the database for Bexar County and see which ones are active. They have some low-power ones the highway sweepers use at night. Also, the HERO guys are on the 700 MHz sites in the AARRS database and only on those sites.

ttkoestner

Are there any good DPS/DOT frequencies I should program? I hear a lot of traffic on DPS I listen to the common air and surveillance channels as well as the dispatch and mobile frequencies for New Braunfels and SA although all I heard on air was a guy asking if anyone called on air when no one did and some traffic stops. But I have a question what are the mobile channels for? If I only listen to the dispatch channel it seems as if the operator is talking to himself is it like a duplex thing? And I hear no traffic on DOT anyone know any good frequencies on there?
I live north of Boerne and have NEVER heard any DPS transmissions. Plenty of other agencies though.

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
I live north of Boerne and have NEVER heard any DPS transmissions. Plenty of other agencies though.
Out there DPS is on the County channels. They will be 6Charlesxxxx. I know on Gillespie County SO primary I monitored out there for almost 12 hours one day and heard the trooper assigned to that county twice. Usually a major crash on a highway they will pop up and takeover in the more rural counties.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Out there DPS is on the County channels. They will be 6Charlesxxxx. I know on Gillespie County SO primary I monitored out there for almost 12 hours one day and heard the trooper assigned to that county twice. Usually a major crash on a highway they will pop up and takeover in the more rural counties.
6C101-109 are the Kendall troopers. They are usually active on LCRA on Primary, they check in at 6 am, noon and 3 pm sometimes. Almost always on the air for any wrecks or chases, although after hours they’ll call DPS SA for a trooper.