DSD FME

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
oops I didn't see the start button :D

Everytime. Get's me too occassionally. Usually it should remember to listen on startup. The real litmus test will be to see how well it can de-scramble Phase 2 Frames under Simulcast. I haven't had many opportunities to test and tweak that.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Everytime. Get's me too occassionally. Usually it should remember to listen on startup. The real litmus test will be to see how well it can de-scramble Phase 2 Frames under Simulcast. I haven't had many opportunities to test and tweak that.
it doesn't sound right. It really is trying to decode voice. A bunch of "MUTE"
mutes.png

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
it doesn't sound right. It really is trying to decode voice. A bunch of "MUTE"

It will show MUTE if there is voice in both channels at the same time and you are using /dev/dsp in the Windows Version. Does the voice sound coherent at all, or is it just showing a bunch of Rs Error or similar messages?

You can switch over to using pulse audio output by using the -o pulse option, but before you can run that, you have to open the pulse audio backend with the 1a - start-pulse-audio-backend.bat file before starting DSD-FME.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
It will show MUTE if there is voice in both channels at the same time and you are using /dev/dsp in the Windows Version. Does the voice sound coherent at all, or is it just showing a bunch of Rs Error or similar messages?

You can switch over to using pulse audio output by using the -o pulse option, but before you can run that, you have to open the pulse audio backend with the 1a - start-pulse-audio-backend.bat file before starting DSD-FME.
a bunch of ERR.

Even DSD+ Fastlane has problems with TDMA voice decodes in my area. SDR-Trunk doesn't. I really like SDR++ and DSD FME working together but all needed is better voice decodes. It is tracking normally. Some are encrypted. I need to learn how to do the csv file for this system to lock out the encryption.

-o pulse option got rid of the MUTE

Last edited:

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
I see it is treating TDMA time slices like DMR time slices. Can hear both time slices if both have traffic. Clashing left and right channels in mono.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
I see it is treating TDMA time slices like DMR time slices. Can hear both time slices if both have traffic. Clashing left and right channels in mono.

Use the 2 - set-pulse-output-stereo-pan-volume.bat file while its running in pulse audio mode to pan the left and right to seperate channels.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Even DSD+ Fastlane has problems with TDMA voice decodes in my area.

Yeah, for sure, both OP25 and SDRTrunk have vastly superior demodulators. Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to completely externalize the demodulation from DSD-FME entirely and use a seperate program that can handle things like LSM and so on and just have it stream the demodulated symbols directly to DSD-FME to decode. The old source code for dsd has a lot of back end things that don't work well with some systems, from the dibit buffer storing dibits in a stupid format when there is no sync, among many little things that would probably just be a lot easier to rip out and externalize to a separate piece of software.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
It is showing no such entity with the bat file
Yeah, for sure, both OP25 and SDRTrunk have vastly superior demodulators. Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to completely externalize the demodulation from DSD-FME entirely and use a seperate program that can handle things like LSM and so on and just have it stream the demodulated symbols directly to DSD-FME to decode. The old source code for dsd has a lot of back end things that don't work well with some systems, from the dibit buffer storing dibits in a stupid format when there is no sync, among many little things that would probably just be a lot easier to rip out and externalize to a separate piece of software.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
It is showing no such entity with the bat file

You should have all these bat files in the root of the zip file from the releases page.

Screenshot from 2023-01-22 21-50-29.png

Anyways, did those R-S Errs ever clear up, if you are gettting those often, it means most likely, its having a hard time decoding or even finding the relative position from sync to channel 0/location 0 inside of the 12 timeslot superframe from I-ISCH. Or, it just has tons of bit errors.

I don't suppose you could use the internal 'recorder' inside of SDR++ to record a wav file of the CC and a few tuned Phase 2 channels by chance. While unchecking the 'stereo' box in the recorder itself.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
You should have all these bat files in the root of the zip file from the releases page.

View attachment 134788

Anyways, did those R-S Errs ever clear up, if you are gettting those often, it means most likely, its having a hard time decoding or even finding the relative position from sync to channel 0/location 0 inside of the 12 timeslot superframe from I-ISCH. Or, it just has tons of bit errors.

I don't suppose you could use the internal 'recorder' inside of SDR++ to record a wav file of the CC and a few tuned Phase 2 channels by chance. While unchecking the 'stereo' box in the recorder itself.
give me a a bit i will do that now.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber

View attachment 134788

CC and VC with noise floor in between transmissions raw sample for download
I uploaded the wav file to that service not using their recorder
I hope this is good enough. I have unchecked stereo option.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
I hope this is good enough. I have unchecked stereo option.

Yeah, that is surprisingly okay, file wise. I was able to sync on it and get some voice, but still, just tons of errors, so definitely the QPSK demodulator can't handle the simulcast distortion very well at all. It'll probably be one of those things where depending on which way the wind blows, it may sound better or do worse than others. But the real fix would be to rework the entire demodulation backend, but that's a job for another day.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, that is surprisingly okay, file wise. I was able to sync on it and get some voice, but still, just tons of errors, so definitely the QPSK demodulator can't handle the simulcast distortion very well at all. It'll probably be one of those things where depending on which way the wind blows, it may sound better or do worse than others. But the real fix would be to rework the entire demodulation backend, but that's a job for another day.
still have another P25 statewide system to try it with which is a P25 Phase 1 system overall in which Oklahoma City is linked to. Jut not fire department and few suburbs.

It keeps crashing when it goes to a voice channel on Phase 1

Last edited:

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
It keeps crashing when it goes to a voice channel on Phase 1

If you are using the pulse audio output, make sure the pulse audio server is running by starting the bat file. The default behavior of the pulse audio backend is to timeout after 10 minutes and shut down. The crash sounds like it is attempting to write out to pulse audio but crashes because its no longer running. I think in Windows, if you open the task manager, you'll see whether or not pulseaudio.exe or pactl.exe is running or not if you aren't sure. Or you can just run the close pulse bat file if you aren't sure, and then restart it before restarting dsd-fme with pulse output.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
If you are using the pulse audio output, make sure the pulse audio server is running by starting the bat file. The default behavior of the pulse audio backend is to timeout after 10 minutes and shut down. The crash sounds like it is attempting to write out to pulse audio but crashes because its no longer running. I think in Windows, if you open the task manager, you'll see whether or not pulseaudio.exe or pactl.exe is running or not if you aren't sure. Or you can just run the close pulse bat file if you aren't sure, and then restart it before restarting dsd-fme with pulse output.
Pulse not running. I closed it all out and will wait till the TDMA handling can be fixed. I like DSD-FME and hope somewhere down the road over time there will be updated QPSK handling on simulcast networks. I appreciate your help! :D

Red_Ice

Hola amigos, soy nuevo en el foro y me gustaría hacer una pregunta sobre el DSD FME, hace un par de días capté una señal NXDN con el DSD Fastlane y en la ventana de eventos apareció esta información: 49m ASL. Por lo que entiendo, ASL es un nodo repetidor y 49m sería la altitud, no se si me equivoco, mi pregunta es: ¿El DSD FME obtiene estos datos? Y si es así, ¿hay un comando para volcar los marcos en un registro? He estado leyendo este hilo y no termino de aclarar, gracias por tu ayuda.

Red_Ice

Hello friends, I'm wildlynx, I'm new to the forum and I wanted to introduce myself, what is being raised in this thread is interesting to me, as well as what Red_Ice has indicated, if it doesn't already exist it would be very interesting to implement a command to dump us to a log all the information collected by the FME, thanks to all and greetings.

Mudary

Hola amigos, soy nuevo en el foro y me gustaría hacer una pregunta sobre el DSD FME, hace un par de días capté una señal NXDN con el DSD Fastlane y en la ventana de eventos apareció esta información: 49m ASL. Por lo que entiendo, ASL es un nodo repetidor y 49m sería la altitud, no se si me equivoco, mi pregunta es: ¿El DSD FME obtiene estos datos? Y si es así, ¿hay un comando para volcar los marcos en un registro? He estado leyendo este hilo y no termino de aclarar, gracias por tu ayuda.

49m ASL is 49 meters above above sea level.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME

Is this some form of LRRP, LOCN, or Location Report inside of NXDN? I am not quite sure what you are referring to. Can you provide a wav file sample of an NXDN system that is showing this information? Does it occur frequently on this system, or was it a one time decode that seldomly happens? If I have samples where I can confirm that it happens, then I can look into adding that functionality to DSD-FME.

Also, regardling what DSD-FME collects, and dumping it, if you use the -Z option, DSD-FME will dump most payloads in hex byte form for analysis, but without samples with known activity happening, it makes it difficult to determine what certain PDUs do that aren't in a standard manual.