DSD for Raspberry Pi

Status
Not open for further replies.

racingfan360

>What kind of netbook do you have?
I've been running an Asus EEE-PC 1001P.
My preferred platform - for mobility - is now an Asus Trasnformer T100 Tablet.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I received my Raspberry Pi 2 a couple of days ago. I tried out the image created by wintrmute last night. It is Ubuntu/Linaro using LXDE.
Raspberry Pi • View topic - Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

I like doing compiles on the target. This board seems to have enough processing power to do this. LXDE was responsive. I was able to open two xterm windows and multitask without the board grinding to a halt.

I installed cmake and libsndfile. I had to compile mbelib (of course), itpp, and portaudio from source. These compiled without problem. The current dsd source compiled without any problem.

I ran out of time last evening to test it. I have to setup sound on the board first. I am thinking of installing ALSA, which will require recompiling portaudio to pick up ALSA support.

73 Eric

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I compiled dsd on the RP2 without any optimizations mentioned in this thread. It works slightly better than on the RP1. There is even a lag in decoding non-voice data, which is not surprising. The dsd task used 100% of the CPU, but did not bog down the system. I might try moving the signal decoder over to it's own thread so two CPUs can be used.

73 Eric

USRobotics

I wonder if anyone has any updates on running DSD on RPi / RPi 2 ? I would like a very small and portable package, so the smaller the decoding unit is the better. Thanks.

racingfan360

IMHO the problem with a pi is it still needs a power source and a screen to get the most out of DSD. I've now downsized to a small 8 inch win8.1 tablet and with a USB soundcard DSD+ works great. Small portable and good battery life...and you get to use the tablet for other stuff too. The price for these devices makes them very attractive now.

USRobotics

I also have a 8" Win 8.1 tablet, a Dell Venue Pro 8. I wonder if I can use the internal mic in and skip the USB soundcard (less clutter outside the better). I also have an older 5" MID, a BenQ S6, but it's an Atom Z500 at 800MHz, even overclocked at 1GHz, it's probably not enough power, but it's smaller, yet has a good speaker that is loud though.

I want to make it that I can carry it on my body without a bag, w/ a 8" I still need a bag, as I don't have huge pockets.

I don't need to see the screen of the Pi, and if I do, I can probably use a smartphone to remote it, but I want to make sure the Pi / Pi 2, is fast enough for the decoding. So far there aren't enough data points.

I'm new to this, so I might be out to lunch here, but ideally if it can be compiled onto an Android smartphone then it'd be ideal! (as smartphone CPUs these days are very very powerful yet very small).

racingfan360

I think you;d be pleasantly surprised at how little power DSD+ needs to run: why not try it on the BenQ?
However, I very much doubt that you'll be able to use the internal mic on either device: in my experience the sound card is the single biggest impact on quality of decode outside of the RF front end of your setup. I'd recommend the iMic or the Strtech 96khz sampling rate USB sound cards. They're actually quite small and light. I can't see how a Pi with a power source wound be lighter or smaller for portable use.

USRobotics

Thanks for the advice. Both the BenQ and the Dell do not have USB A full size socket; thus I have to use a pig tail first, then I can fit a USB device onto them; not the most secure or convenient, especially in a constantly moving situation. If it's a stationary station then yes, even more wires are not a problem.

Yes, the Pi isn't the smallest. Ideally an Android smartphone would be; and external sound card can work in them via the USB (although same dilemma as above) as some audiophiles have already done.

The BenQ S6 is an Atom Z500, basically a Pentium III class CPU, and 512MB RAM running on Windows XP Home (my version does anyway, another version runs Linux). It easily runs out of RAM. I really doubt it can do it, but I will try.

BTW, I don't mean the "internal mic", I mean the headset plug that has an external mic input. The sensitivity might be high and high on input impedance but I can fix that with some matching trickery, not a big deal. Of course I don't mean putting the speaker next to the mic sort of idea for a digital signal as discriminator output requires a fairly high sampling to decode well.

rpilover

RPi 2 - no way, too... Back to original header.

Hi,

no Windows here ;).

Since three days I'm trying to use RPi 2 as dsd decode system. OS is jessy, not wheezy. I'm using RTLSDR as receiver with this line:

rtl_fm -f dsd.frequencyM -M fm -p 75 -g 49.6 -s 48K -E dc| ./dsd -q -fr -mc -i -

And you have to install alsa-oss and modprobe it.

But: there's no f*****g way to get a good decode. Yes, there's speech coming out of the speaker. But it's stuttering. Two seconds decoded speech. Then two seconds garbling speech. Then two seconds decoded speech. And so on. And so on. One core of the CPU is 100% changing 100% and lower cpu usage while decoding. The three others 1-5%.

So. It doesn't work for me... Sad. On old duo core/2ghz/Ubuntu 15 it works great!

Any other experience with RPi 2 here? Any working decoding on RPi 2? Or any idea howto pipe audio with -w option and then aplay it? Or other ideas about piping the sound?

Any success stories needed here :)

Last edited:

satfrx

odroid XU4

Hi, did anyone already try the newer odroid boards like U3 or XU4?

The specs sound quite nice..... Maybe these will work with DSD.

Kind regards,

Edwin

cg

Premium Subscriber
I was hoping that Windows 10 on the RP2 would allow FMP to run and stream the data to DSDPlus running at another location. I have been reading up on it all for several weeks but it is still all a bit out of my reach.

chris

frazpo

I was hoping that Windows 10 on the RP2 would allow FMP to run and stream the data to DSDPlus running at another location. I have been reading up on it all for several weeks but it is still all a bit out of my reach.

chris

This has crossed my mind and wondered if you would have bandwith issues like most do with rtl_tcp?
Wonder if anyone can comment that has successfully streamed FMP outside a LAN.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I have run FMP at the house and had a friend run DSDPlus at his house with success. He has a slow computer so it was not perfect but it worked. (Fast Lane Version)
I don't recall if this is in the Christmas public release but I believe it is

chris

clemfm

chris

With all due respect Chris, why would anyone want to run Windoze on a Raspberry Pi?

People generally buy Pi's to escape Windows bloatware and it's endless updates and viruses etc.

You don't need all that overhead to decode DSD, indeed the bloat will consume so much of the processors capacity that you may experience issues.

You only need Rasbian and DSD, nothing more for decoding and something like Darkice and Icecast for streaming.

I have my Pi streaming already (flawlessly 24/7 for the past 8 months), and I have installed DSD, not I just need to modify my scanner and find some more time to get it all working.

Very few Pi owners are going to move from Linux to Windows and so crowd support will be far less than what Linux users enjoy.

Microsoft is only porting to the Pi as the Pi is hot product and it is showing Windows for what it is (buggy bloatware etc) to more and more people all the time.

Forget Windows, just buy a Pi, load Raspbian and make it happen... if a Pi cannot handle DSD with Linux, there is no hope whatsoever of it being able to cope under the strain of the Windows bloat.

frazpo

Wonder if a two Pi cluster would be worth putting together? Run SDR-RTL and pipe to DSD among them both.

cg

Premium Subscriber
You are running DSD and not DSDPlus correct?
Right now I am running 3 remote Thin Clients each with a 996XT or 996P2 scanner and running ProScan and Teamviewer. I want to also be able to run select frequencies and choose P25, DMR or NXDN and record the results.
With the setup I described, DSDPlus would not be running on the RP2, but would be running on a better machine elsewhere. This would allow me to set up remote receive sites with all the decoding and recording happening at my home. DSD has had minimal updating over the last 12-18 months where DSDPlus does what I want. It is a lot easier for me to use Windows than to try to learn Linux, I want it to be fun.

chris

clemfm

This thread is for DSD on Pi's, that's not quite DSDPlus on Windows...

Perhaps a new thread is needed for DSDPlus on Windows to avoid confusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.