DSDPlus DSDPlus Fastlane Term & Experience Questions

Facsimile

Premium Subscriber
Great software. I really enjoy it. After using it for a couple of months, I have come up with a list of questions that I cannot find the answers to. Hopefully someone here can shed some light.

• How much gain is too much gain? Are the six blue lines on FMP24 just for show or do they indicate anything? gain.jpg

• What is a patch, patch supergroup, and patch subgroup? Is it something that is done automatically by the system? What is the reason that it occurs? patch.jpg

• What do the following terms indicate on a P25 system? I see these often in the event log. What is happening when these show up? What does the radio user experience when these occur?
    • Registration (Accept/Deny)
    • Deregistration
    • Affiliation Request (Accept/Deny)
    • Group Busy
    • Group In Use
    • P-Group Call

• What is the difference between Priority (with numbers) and Priority Override (with Low, Normal, High)?

Thanks

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
How much gain is too much gain?
You want the noise floor to be as low as possible with the signal peak being as high as you can get it. Raise gain to where the signal peaks its highest, and the noise floor just starts to rise. Then back off a hair or two. Too much noise will contribute to bad decodes.

What is a patch, patch supergroup, and patch subgroup?

Is it something that is done automatically by the system?
It is when system admins tie more than one talk group together for various reasons.

What do the following terms indicate on a P25 system? I see these often in the event log. What is happening when these show up? What does the radio user experience when these occur?
  • Registration (Accept/Deny)
  • Deregistration
  • Affiliation Request (Accept/Deny)
  • Group Busy
  • Group In Use
  • P-Group Call
Registration- Radio registering on the system, radio leaving the system

Affiliation request- Radio requesting to join a talkgroup. Most radios are only allowed on predetermined talkgroups.

Group busy-in use- To me, group busy and group in use seem the same but must have a difference or there would not be different messages.

What is the difference between Priority (with numbers) and Priority Override (with Low, Normal, High)?

I don't use override so can't comment on that. If a call's priority (number) is below the cutoff threshold, DSDPlus will mute the audio. Press 't' or 'T' to adjust the cutoff threshold.

CanesFan95

Analog already is interoperable.
The blue lines don't indicate anything. A reasonable gain is around 28.0 or 29.7. Yours is on the high side, but it also depends on the situation. Basically, you want a low noise floor.

Now for patches. Say there's cops on ch. A and cops on ch. B and they all need to talk to each other. The dispatcher has a way to take both channels and patch 'em together so they behave like 1 talk group. The cops talking on ch. A can now hear the other cops on ch. B and vice-versa.