DSP going to Full Time Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
With Biden in a house that is white in dc, every time he does come to Rehoboth beach there is a USSS agent sitting in the lead patrol vehicle. One of the requirements is encrypted coms and with Del State PD now using encryption i bet they have been given a TG where the USSS and DSP can communicate with each other instead of having to give them a portable all the time. Also a programming computer can be set up at the Barracks and the trooper can connect his radio to that computer and follow the instructions on the screen to reporgram his portable or they should have the capability just to reprogram it over the air adding encryption.

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
FYI...I just briefly picked up activity on SWPMA. Dispatch was encrypted and the units were in the clear.

duke018

With Biden in a house that is white in dc, every time he does come to Rehoboth beach there is a USSS agent sitting in the lead patrol vehicle. One of the requirements is encrypted coms and with Del State PD now using encryption i bet they have been given a TG where the USSS and DSP can communicate with each other instead of having to give them a portable all the time. Also a programming computer can be set up at the Barracks and the trooper can connect his radio to that computer and follow the instructions on the screen to reporgram his portable or they should have the capability just to reprogram it over the air adding encryption.
Yeah the last part about setting a computer up at the Troop will never happen..

chrishoerner

KC3KSJ
Premium Subscriber

neither will over the air program or rekey until the upgrade to p25 is completed.

Reactions: hey

de784

Feed Provider
kent has been pretty good at not forgetting to flip the switch but same thing is going on in ncc, I just can’t bring myself to hit that avoid button.
Same here Suscom has something big going on loads of troopers flying down 13 in Seaford

Roach112683

I actually worked with the Secret Service back when Biden was VP. USSS ALWAYS has their own encrypted system and don't require the police to have encrypted dispatch as there are other secure channels they can and do use when they are doing operations. When we worked with them they gave us radios on their frequencies which we used in conjunction with our own.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The comms vehicle that travels with POTUS can bridge into local systems. Multiband subscriber radios are available, but the USSS agents stay on their own local net pretty much all the time for operational and security reasons.

Roach112683

The comms vehicle that travels with POTUS can bridge into local systems. Multiband subscriber radios are available, but the USSS agents stay on their own local net pretty much all the time for operational and security reasons.
Yeah we had our own radios at the hospital and then we had a USSS agent near us so they could relay to those who didn't have the radios.

They issued Security pins as well which had to be returned at the end of the detail.

But they were cool as they gave us cool Secret Service badge pins as well as flags and Uniform Division Patches.

Roach112683

Someone from SUSCOM came to my agency the other day and they said it was done purely for officer safety reasons.

It had been planned for some time and they just decided to implement it after recent incidents in other states regarding police officers.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Someone from SUSCOM came to my agency the other day and they said it was done purely for officer safety reasons.

It had been planned for some time and they just decided to implement it after recent incidents in other states regarding police officers.
Although that might be the justification given to the public and lawmakers, I doubt that was the actual reason. There have been very few documented (if any) instances where encryption has prevented injury to officers. Other, somewhat similar murky arguments have been used as justification not to implement body and vehicle cam programs, and to prevent citizens from recording incidents involving police. In the end, transparency through monitored and recorded electronic communication will support lawful actions by police. I just finished reviewing lengthly body cam video and audio from two officers, and a vehicle cam that clearly showed a suspect drawing a weapon on an officer, and the officer firing to defend himself. The officers should be pleased that the technology was available to document the incident.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Roch what agency do you work for in the Rehoboth Beach area? do you work for RBPD or Lewis PD? Also can you talk to Dewy and Beth Bch PD units as well plus Lewis? or is there a common TG that allows you all to talk to each other? I have the Smartzone system programmed into my apx7500 and wish the harris xg100 would do smartzone as well.

de784

Feed Provider
That seems to be the go to officer safety, with cad and the channels that were encrypted makes no sense for dispatch going encrypted, just my opinion, just seems to put the line between the police and public even wider

Roach112683

Roch what agency do you work for in the Rehoboth Beach area? do you work for RBPD or Lewis PD? Also can you talk to Dewy and Beth Bch PD units as well plus Lewis? or is there a common TG that allows you all to talk to each other? I have the Smartzone system programmed into my apx7500 and wish the harris xg100 would do smartzone as well.
There are MA TGs but. I work in the Courts that's all I'll say.

Roach112683

Although that might be the justification given to the public and lawmakers, I doubt that was the actual reason. There have been very few documented (if any) instances where encryption has prevented injury to officers. Other, somewhat similar murky arguments have been used as justification not to implement body and vehicle cam programs, and to prevent citizens from recording incidents involving police. In the end, transparency through monitored and recorded electronic communication will support lawful actions by police. I just finished reviewing lengthly body cam video and audio from two officers, and a vehicle cam that clearly showed a suspect drawing a weapon on an officer, and the officer firing to defend himself. The officers should be pleased that the technology was available to document the incident.
I agree. But most of those channels are digitally recorded.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I agree. But most of those channels are digitally recorded.
Who can access those recordings? IMO, if the police insist that encryption is required for officer safety, then the citizens should insist on timely and unfettered access to the recordings when necessary to ensure accountability and transparency.

Status
Not open for further replies.