Dufferin County - proposed system

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3SCP

Premium Subscriber
Yes it was well overdue too. I live in Dufferin County and it used to be pathetic. They finally listened and best of all they decided not to go digital.

SCPD

QRT
Yes it was well overdue too. I live in Dufferin County and it used to be pathetic. They finally listened and best of all they decided not to go digital.

They made a smart decision, one of the chiefs there must have some knowledge of radio technology, others usually rely on their service provider or random internet buzzwords like digital. I've only head that new Dufferin repeater a couple of times from Toronto and it was so crystal clear I couldn't believe it and that was on a scanner.

One can be narrowband and still be analog and in compliance with IC.

DaveH

For us hobbyists it shouldn't matter whether it's digital or not. Scanners nowadays do every flavour of digital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Somewhat but not completely correct. It depends on how much money you want to spend. Not everyone wants, or can afford, the most recent digital scanners with firmware upgrades (which cost).

I also hear the performance of some scanners with new FW for NXDN is not so great. Not sure about DMR.

Minor point, do any scanners do NXDN 9.6k ? Not a major factor, but at least one VHF multi-site system nearby in Quebec uses this; plus a small UHF system in Gatineau. There may be others lurking.

Fortunately we have DSD+ in its own right, and to cover the holes.

Dave

VE3SCP

Premium Subscriber
Yes Whistler Group has 2 scanners that do NXDN96. The TRX-1 portable which I have and the TRX-2 mobile.

I listen to a NXDN96 system in Toronto.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
For us hobbyists it shouldn't matter whether it's digital or not. Scanners nowadays do every flavour of digital.

Don't forget that with new digital systems the encryption box is one mouse click away.... Fortunately the majority seem to be staying away from that.

Jammin_Jay

Now back on topic with differin county fire.
Is there a uhf link repeater frequency?
I find these uhf links strong.

highstupid

Banned
IF you read the article in the first post, it says "The committee has recommended staff review his plan to install microwave dishes on fire department antennas and add simulcast devices to the network".
Nothing about UHF links. They need would need dishes for the simulcast part that they hope to have

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if every department has considered how much confusion may exist with all these different services trying to talk on the same frequency. I can see the need for fire departments, but most other services have other responsibilities. I can see them or someone monitoring what is going on with other services. I just hope that with a major event, that there is no communication problem with so many services.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
It makes sense for all the departments in the County to have a wide area radio system, especially when it comes to paging. If they want local communication they can switch to a tactical channel.

I'm not sure if every department has considered how much confusion may exist with all these different services trying to talk on the same frequency. I can see the need for fire departments, but most other services have other responsibilities. I can see them or someone monitoring what is going on with other services. I just hope that with a major event, that there is no communication problem with so many services.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've only head that new Dufferin repeater a couple of times from Toronto and it was so crystal clear I couldn't believe it and that was on a scanner.

That would appear to be the Grand Valley repeater. There doesn't appear to be a single Dufferin repeater. Instead, a series of repeaters operating on 154.130MHz with different inputs and most likely ctcss are online.

Shelburne and Honeywood both show new repeaters.

Rosemont has always had a repeater running on 154.025MHz and that doesn't appear to have changed.

*edit* Confirmed that Shelburne is still simplex on 154.130MHz using a tone of 162.2hz.
*edit* Honeywood (Mulmur Township) is now using a tone of 91.5hz on 154.130 but I can't confirm whether they've switched to a repeater yet.

Last edited:

VE3SCP

Premium Subscriber
Grand Valley FD now has their own repeater on the GV water tower. 154.130 PL tone 91.5

Honeywood is on the Whitfield tower now on a repeater. 154.130 PL tone 91.5

Yes Shelburne FD is still simplex (for now) from the fire hall tower. 154.130 PL tone 162.2

Word has it that they will link them together at some point.

154.070 has been used for TAC inter op in the past between different fire department's.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Not hearing the pl on Honeywood. Looks like they might still be carrier squelch.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Hearing Shelburne fire responding to a call with Honeywood on 154.1300MHz with a tone of 114.8Hz.

Judging by the signal strength, the Honeywood repeater might have changed tones.

Status
Not open for further replies.