EBRCS Update

SCPD

QRT
Some good news in that newsletter regarding EBRCS policy on encryption of dispatch channels!

kma371

QRT
There were people on the Alameda Northwest cell today and over the past couple of days. They seemed to be doing informal coverage testing in Albany and at Alta Bates Medical Center.

I shouldn't think it would be much use to test coverage in Albany until the UC Berkeley site is online. Perhaps this means that it is, although I would expect to be getting much stronger signal at my location than I am.

Site 4 is still being built but it's planned coverage area is Albany. I think only the Glen Dyer location is active.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I can't get over how HUGE that Patterson Pass tower is. For the area it definitely sticks out. The adjacent site/tower where Sandia Labs has their repeaters is dwarfed in comparison. Across the street is an amateur site where the LARK repeater is at I believe.

And in the photo you can see they're using a panel antenna so the RF is focused toward the Tri Valley area (and so us Valley folks get basically nothing).

Last edited:

Ben96cal

Which tower is on the south side of the freeway going up the grade on 580 at Patterson Pass that has the blinking white light?

Ben96cal

So here's a couple things I need flushed out.

1. Does anyone know if we're going to have to listen to every cell site in order to hear ACFD or EMS or will they simulcast several cells on different cell sites.. I'm assuming (maybe I shouldn't) that it will be sort of like how it is now where the local PD's will be on their respective cells and not simulcasted while ACFD, ACSO or EMS will be?

2. PDF for NOV says cutover date of DEC 11, 2011 and finish date of June 12. Does that mean they will be using the system and majority of traffic will be on the system next month and in order to listen we need to listen to EBRCS or can we still listen to the current 800 system and COCO conv. channels until June?

mibzzer15

The December 11th, 2011 cut-over date is only for the dispatch console systems Ben96cal. The system is due to be live in June 2012. So all you would hear on the system now is radio techs.

kma371

QRT
Each individual simulcast site will TX only the specific area it covers with larger area talkgroups TXing on additional sites.

kma371

QRT
And in the photo you can see they're using a panel antenna so the RF is focused toward the Tri Valley area (and so us Valley folks get basically nothing).

Well if we are hearing the control channel, shouldnt we be hearing all of it?

Ben96cal

So in your opinion if I want to listen to fire in Coco and Alco I will have to be able to pick up all Cells ie. Alco East, Northwest and Southwest, Coco Central, West and East? Doubtful that let's say Alco East would transmit Alco Southwest's traffic....

kma371

QRT
My guess would be wide area talkgroups, like sheriff, county fire would transmit on all sites.

Kind of like it is now on current system. You can only hear San Leandro on the local sites. But you hear fire/AMR on the wide sites.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Which tower is on the south side of the freeway going up the grade on 580 at Patterson Pass that has the blinking white light?
That's for the high KV DOE/WAPA power lines. The Patterson Pass site isn't visible from the freeway. Maybe once you pass 205 heading toward I5 would you maybe be able to see it.

kma371 said:
Well if we are hearing the control channel, shouldnt we be hearing all of it?
So you're saying you hear Site 2?

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
So here's a couple things I need flushed out.

1. Does anyone know if we're going to have to listen to every cell site in order to hear ACFD or EMS or will they simulcast several cells on different cell sites.. I'm assuming (maybe I shouldn't) that it will be sort of like how it is now where the local PD's will be on their respective cells and not simulcasted while ACFD, ACSO or EMS will be?

Hearing AlCo Fire & EMS traffic will depend on how the system is configured. You ask about 'simulcast' (multiple sites on the same RF frequencies acting as one large cell) but the context of your question relates to 'multicast' (same information transmitted across multiple sites on different RF frequencies).

In most larger systems, talkgroups will not be transmitted (anywhere) unless there is a user radio affiliated with that particular talkgroup registered in that particular cell, and that talkgroup is permitted in that particular call.

Don

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Ben, last warning, please stick to the topic. If you have general questions please create your own thread.

This is the last time for anyone. Any future posts will get deleted and an infraction issued.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
I'm hearing that as well here in Fremont. Radio ID's being used: 4319002 & 16777207. BTW seems like the RR forums time stamp is off by two hours. Appears that it was set ahead instead of behind re standard time last week.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Hayward

Question about Hayward... did they decide to leave the EBRCS?

Based on this:
Hayward City Council - Tech Apps Comm Report on EBRCS 11-19-2008

Hayward had good reason to stay out of EBRCS. After review of those documents and recent EBCRCS newsletters, there appears to be a conflict of information. The EBRCS site lists Hayward as a participant, but the newsletters do not list Hayward as receiving dispatch console upgrades or installations. It does appear as if EBRCS got their installation on Hayward's Garin Water Tank and possibly Hayward PD, however.

Hayward... are they in, or out? I can't tell...

Ben96cal

Hayward PD is in as it uses Alco trunk currently for such things as NARC... HFD is out as it plays by it's our rules and is actually redoing it's frequencies, ie. adding tacs....

SCPD

QRT
Hayward PD is in as it uses Alco trunk currently for such things as NARC... HFD is out as it plays by it's our rules and is actually redoing it's frequencies, ie. adding tacs....

Hmmmm... HFD had serious reservations about going digital per the 2008 report (audio quality), so it makes sense that they are not joining.

How is HPD supposed to move to EBRCS without a dispatch console upgrade? Forgive me, but I don't see how HPD using ALCO narc channels means they are moving to EBRCS.

Ben96cal

This is only conjecture but if the municipality is already on the existing trunk system it would seem unlikely it would leave. HPD won't use the system as primary comms but it will be on the system.