EDACS Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I'm looking for a very basic scanner that will decode an EDACS system. I already have a BCD536HP that is installed mobile for "heavy" scanning. All I want for the house is an EDACS Scanner. Today at FrostFest I picked up a PRO-2050 for $20 and a BC370CRS for $20.

The BC370CRS will go bedside and the PRO-2050 will go in the shack. I only really want to be able to monitor the Wallops Flight Facility EDACS system. It would also be nice be to be able to monitor non-trunking P25 (mainly the USCG VHF AND UHF freqs) voice as well but it's not a requirement. PC Programmable would also be nice, but again not required. I'd like to do this for as little as possible and don't mind an older scanner.

Thanks in advance

KR4BD

The Pro-2052, which looks virtually identical to your Pro-2050, will decode analog EDACS systems. I've had good luck with both of these scanners for over a decade. The 2052 should not be too expensive ...if you can locate one. Also, There are many, many newer scanners that will also do the job.

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
Awesome thanks!

I think the 2052 will fit my needs perfectly. The only thing that's not analog in my area is the VA STARS system and CG stuff so I'll be good.

Does Uniden offer a scanner that is similar to the PRO-2052?

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I have used my BCT15X for EDACS and have had excellent results, and (if needed) it also receives:

EDACS Standard (Wide)
EDACS Standard Networked
EDACS Narrowband (Narrow)
EDACS Narrowband Networked
EDACS SCAT
EDACS ESK (not ProVoice).

The 2052 is an excellent choice from a cost standpoint even though it only receives the Standard (Wide) and Networked - which is fine for Wallops.

One great thing about the 15X over the 2052 is the alpha tags.

(Also if you are unaware the PRO-2050 and 2052 were actually made by Uniden)

For P25 I would recommend a BCD996XT which are coming down in prices with the release of the new radios.

Last edited:

fredva

Feed Provider
I would second the recommendation on the PRO-2052 as a good, low-cost way to monitor EDACS.

It would also be nice be to be able to monitor non-trunking P25 (mainly the USCG VHF AND UHF freqs) voice as well but it's not a requirement.

I'm not aware of a scanner which does P25 conventional but not trunking, at least not from the major brands. DSD software along with an old scanner with a discriminator tap might be a low-cost option, but requires a little work.

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
So from my research I can find the following scanners will do what I need:

BC536HP - Own one already for mobile scanning

BCD996XT - Sold to buy BC536HP, to expensive to repurchase

BC780XLT - Will do EDACS but not P25 audio

BC785D - Will do EDACS and P25 audio with BCi25 card installed

BCT15X - same as BC780XLT

BCT8 - doesn't seem to do air band stuff which is needed for Wallops tower

BC796D - looks like it would do what I want plus P25 trunking so I could listed to EVERYTHING but MD FIST. What is the difference between this and the BCD996XT?

PRO-197

Also are these things lined with gold or something because they all seem to fetch a high dollar.

I found these models by going through the RR classifieds.

Thanks again for your input it is very helpful, keep it coming!

fredva

Feed Provider
You're smart to do research and ask questions before making a purchase.

I know that one major difference between the 796D and the BCD996XT is that the 796D won't handle 700 mhz trunking, which could be the reason it won't handle that MD system. Even though the 796D is one of the oldest digital scanners, there are still owners who think it's a great scanner.

A 785D won't handle 700 mhz trunking or rebanded 800 mhz systems.

A PRO-2096 is also an option for EDACS and P25. That scanner also won't handle 700 mhz trunking.

Any working scanner that decodes P25 digital is going to be relatively expensive. Some say it's because the manufacturers have to pay for a patented voice decoder.

Last edited:

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
So I guess I should say what all I would like to scan to help better find a scanner to fit my needs.

I would like to monitor:

Accomack County, Virginia (VA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Wallops Flight Facility Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Wallops Flight Facility Trunking System, Wallops Island, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies
Businesses Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Would be nice:
Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS) Trunking System, Statewide, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies
United States Coast Guard - The RadioReference Wiki
Coast Guard Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I'm attempting to ballance price vs features. The stuff in the first section is the stuff that is in my neighborhood. The stuff below is the stuff that's in the area but I know those cost money to listen too.

N8IAA

So I guess I should say what all I would like to scan to help better find a scanner to fit my needs.

I would like to monitor:

Accomack County, Virginia (VA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Wallops Flight Facility Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Wallops Flight Facility Trunking System, Wallops Island, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies
Businesses Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Would be nice:
Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS) Trunking System, Statewide, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies
United States Coast Guard - The RadioReference Wiki
Coast Guard Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I'm attempting to ballance price vs features. The stuff in the first section is the stuff that is in my neighborhood. The stuff below is the stuff that's in the area but I know those cost money to listen too.

I would go with the 197. It will scan everything in both lists. Easy scanner to manage with Win500.
May want to ask in the VA state forum for more info.
HTH,
Larry

iago

I have a BC125AT.
I would like to scan EDACS, but I don't want anything bigger than a hand-held.
(I can pick up some of it using CTCSS/DCS setting it to search.)
I'd like to spend not more than $200.
Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.