Edmonton PD

georgesharpe

Premium Subscriber
Well, folks, it looks like hearing EPD on Broadcastify is over. AT 2:30 AM today, I heard the dispatcher talking about all cars in all districts switching to the "New Radios", and to turn off and turn in to HQ all the "Old Radios". Oh, well, that's life. We all knew this day was coming.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Wonder if there was an outage on AFRRCS and they needed to switch back to EDACS during it. They are all on the new radios now but since they are Harris they can switch back to the old system in a pinch.

Jammin_Jay

Would EDACS system still simulcast the new radio system until its decomissioned? Incase of a radio problem with the switchover. So if anyone has to use an old radio during the transistion, they are able to communicate while all others are using the new system.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Would EDACS system still simulcast the new radio system until its decomissioned? Incase of a radio problem with the switchover. So if anyone has to use an old radio during the transistion, they are able to communicate while all others are using the new system.
I don't think so That's partly what has been happening over the past year and a half. I'm hearing that the EDACS Simulcast plug will be pulled this spring. I'm also aware that the former EPS Chief said that would happen in Spring three years ago.

About 99 per cent of the current EPS radios are AFRRCS radios but because they are Harris they have the option to switch to EDACS. Since Fire chose Motorola they don't have that option so have to carry a mix of old and new radios.