Edmonton PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgesharpe

Well, folks, it looks like hearing EPD on Broadcastify is over. AT 2:30 AM today, I heard the dispatcher talking about all cars in all districts switching to the "New Radios", and to turn off and turn in to HQ all the "Old Radios". Oh, well, that's life. We all knew this day was coming.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Wonder if there was an outage on AFRRCS and they needed to switch back to EDACS during it. They are all on the new radios now but since they are Harris they can switch back to the old system in a pinch.

Jammin_Jay

Would EDACS system still simulcast the new radio system until its decomissioned? Incase of a radio problem with the switchover. So if anyone has to use an old radio during the transistion, they are able to communicate while all others are using the new system.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Would EDACS system still simulcast the new radio system until its decomissioned? Incase of a radio problem with the switchover. So if anyone has to use an old radio during the transistion, they are able to communicate while all others are using the new system.

I don't think so That's partly what has been happening over the past year and a half. I'm hearing that the EDACS Simulcast plug will be pulled this spring. I'm also aware that the former EPS Chief said that would happen in Spring three years ago.

About 99 per cent of the current EPS radios are AFRRCS radios but because they are Harris they have the option to switch to EDACS. Since Fire chose Motorola they don't have that option so have to carry a mix of old and new radios.

Nerds2You

I don't think all radios have been replaced yet. I still hear about dispatch telling everyone to standby because they have to change battery in the radio which makes me think the dispatch radios/consoles are not operating yet. The ProVoice channels are still in heavy use which makes me think that those radios have not all been replaced yet either. This is all speculation based on what I have been able to hear over the air.

I know that when EPS first changed to the EDACS system there were a lot of issues and officers were not happy with it. EPS is probably being very cautious about switching over fully until they are confident there won't be any bugs.

I did hear an awful lot of testing from the fire department a couple weeks ago, they had a crew driving all around the city testing in different locations inside of buildings parkades etc so they may be very close to cutting away from EDACS

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
EPS has all of it's AFRRCS radios installed and have had for over a year. That includes mobiles, base stations, and consoles. Keep in mind since they stayed with Harris all AFRRCS radios are also EDACS radios at a push of a button and EDACS is backup.

When you hear them changing batteries it is their wireless headset mic and ear phones that allow them to move from their dispatch positions. As far as ProVoice what you are hearing is an exact simulcast of the activity that is happening on AFFRCS. But it's all good as we still get to listen. In the past I have discussed the delay was the result of not completing all the bad coverage areas of the city including LRT.

Fire is testing their AFRRCS Pump repeaters. Sometimes you will hear the working channels and then an A, B or C designator. That is the simplex channel the portables switch to to access the Pump repeater. You will still hear all activity on the working channel. Fire still has to carry new and old radios as they switched to Motorola and a Moto can't also have EDACS mode in them.

jim202

I hope your aware that the support for the old Harris EDACS equipment has been end of life for a while now. Most agencies have moved along with the times and updated their radios before support came to a close.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I hope your aware that the support for the old Harris EDACS equipment has been end of life for a while now. Most agencies have moved along with the times and updated their radios before support came to a close.

Lol.

Oh yes. There is an EMG in place(system they are moving to is a Harris P25 P1 trunk system) and as they move from EDACS to P25 more and more talk groups on the EDACS system will fall quiet.

EFRS found coverage holes, and is apparently rolling out mobile repeaters. EPS is likely close to completely switching. Some units are likely already using AFRRCS operationally, but these units are 100% encrypted on EDACS and are also 100% encrypted on AFRRCS(ALL EPS will be 100% encrypted once fully on AFRRCS). Air 1/2 are using AFRRCS now and have been for a while now, it’s apparent when you listen on the EDACS analogue dispatch channels.

OneBadWolf

Are EPS still live and can we still listen to them?

Wow. And I thought I was lazy. Does the detent for the "on" switch perhaps require too much physical strength from you to twist it yourself? Maybe consider a set of um. Ahem. ChannelLocks <- ( see what I did there? ; ) and apply a rotational force clockwise.

Maybe you require a transcription service, give me a moment to find a pen and papre... Oh hang on.... There is a all cars broadcast, from the Comm. Sgt. Apparently, they are still on the air, and shall remain so indefinitely. Except for you. He was very clear about
gqtrebor paying a princely sum for the decryption keys.

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
I've now given a permanent reply ban in this thread to the above member due to the comments in post #19.

To some, they believe being a Premium Subscriber offers them entitlement to be unfiltered. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.