Emergency Alert System Test 11/9

Status
Not open for further replies.

reedeb

I think as with the TV and Radio stations they should also incorporate the All Hazards [ie Weather] monitors also.. [Hey they use em for Amber Alerts now why not add Special Emergency Broadcasts as well]?

W9NES

This is from CNN Washington, The official with EAS called the failure rate at more than 10% and said this is "Not insignificant" 80%to90% of the stations received the alert and were able to re-broadcast it which was the major criteria of the test. FEMA statement issued after the test made*No reference* to the problems.

Nap

I think as with the TV and Radio stations they should also incorporate the All Hazards [ie Weather] monitors also.. [Hey they use em for Amber Alerts now why not add Special Emergency Broadcasts as well]?

S.A.M.E. codes cover it pretty well, these are already existing:

Civil Danger Warning
Civil Emergency Message
Emergency Action Notification (Begins a nationwide EAS activation)
Emergency Action Termination (Ends a national activation)
Evacuation Immediate
Hazardous Materials Warning
Local Area Emergency
National Information Center Statement (Used to follow up an EAN)
Nuclear Power Plant Warning
Radiological Hazard Warning
etc.

Not to mention that the system is tested WEEKLY and it works.

So why not just use it.

W9NES

There are allready NWS all hazard alert radios out They were not included in the test on Weds 11-10-2011.When EAS was tested they should have included( NWS) National Weather Service but they were left out.I do not understand why.If any others have infomation on this please feel free to post this an share this with all of us.

ScannerSK

From the sounds of it, most PEP stations across the United States received the initial alert with multiple tones and voices playing at the same time. I wonder if most PEP stations monitor NPR which relayed the initial alert to everyone incorrectly?

So far, I have not read anywhere of a single station receiving the full length audio without distortion. It makes me wonder if the initial audio from FEMA was distorted??

Shawn

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
There are allready NWS all hazard alert radios out They were not included in the test on Weds 11-10-2011.When EAS was tested they should have included( NWS) National Weather Service but they were left out.I do not understand why.If any others have infomation on this please feel free to post this an share this with all of us.
See the links provided in posts 3 & 4 of this same thread, it explains the reasons NOAA was not included.

W9NES

Sorry but NWS is a Part of EAS and should have been tested at the same time.This is why all of of us have SAME DIGITAL WEATHER/ ALL HAZARDS ALERT RADIOS.

medic9351301

Banned
from what i am gathering by reading post it seems like this was a big ole cluster ****!!!!!!!!!!, did the noaa wx recivers even fire a tone i was gased at the dent. office heck the wjole world could have eneded and i would not have known about it.here id another question or someething to ask whey did the outdoor sirens not go offf????? seems like they should have

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Sorry but NWS is a Part of EAS and should have been tested at the same time.

Should or Shouldn't doesn't matter. FEMA said no. They wanted to test the basics, and the new NWS interface to EAS isn't ready.

This is why all of of us have SAME DIGITAL WEATHER/ ALL HAZARDS ALERT RADIOS.

No, this test is not why you have that radio.

from what i am gathering by reading post it seems like this was a big ole cluster

Absolutely wrong. It was the first ever test to see what works and what didn't work. Mission accomplished.

did the noaa wx recivers even fire a tone

Seriously? You read this entire thread and still asked that?

heck the wjole world could have eneded and i would not have known about it

I think you would have known.

here id another question or someething to ask whey did the outdoor sirens not go offf?

Because this wasn't a test of the outdoor warning sirens.

seems like they should have

Well, no they shouldn't have. This was not a test of the entire system, it was a test solely of the national EAS alert. It would never be used in real life.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
11/10/11 THE ANSWER to the audio mess!
After analyzing the EAN audio, it has been confirmed that a hardware failure related to a PEP station - WCCO - was the cause of the audio loop back to the FEMA sending source - a conference bridge. That affected most everyone who got their test via a path from the FEMA PEP bridge and explains why the audio from sample points around the country are very similar. (see link)
http://www.thebdr.net/articles/fcc/eas/eas.html

W9NES

The point is very clear on this issue.Number 1- SAME Digital Weather Alert Radios will also do EAS and there should have been a Backup System in the event that this system DID NOT WORK as It FAILED. Number 2-A lot of people do not sit in front of the tv or radio as Most of the working public is working which includes all of us.People do have Weather Alert Radios at work and this function is BUILT IN to the radio and should go off when EAS is ACTIVITED(This also incudes Test) of the EAS System. As far as the post from the Washington office of CNN this was posted on the CNN web site and it was on the web site today 11-10-2011 Thursday. Did NAWAS Warning Center get this infomation? Did the States that are on Landline to NAWAS get this message from The National Warning Center?

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Number 1- SAME Digital Weather Alert Radios will also do EAS and there should have been a Backup System in the event that this system DID NOT WORK as It FAILED.

The test worked wonderfully. I'd suggest you look up the definition of "test" since it is clear you don't understand.

and should go off when EAS is ACTIVITED(This also incudes Test) of the EAS System.

This wasn't a test of the EAS system. It was a test of the EAN code over radio/TV only. Not the same. I think I've said MULTIPLE times that the NWS link to EAN codes is not ready. It won't be until the Weather Radio Improvement Project (WRIP) is done next year.

Please tell me how I can make that easier for you to understand, because I really don't know how you don't get it.

Did NAWAS Warning Center get this infomation?

NAWAS was not part of the test, so if they did or didn't does not matter.

Did the States that are on Landline to NAWAS get this message from The National Warning Center?

NAWAS landline was not part of the test, so if they did or didn't does not matter.

W9NES

Mr.Rdale, You are not understanding that the***Test** was a test for EAS and it FAILED.Updated infomation from a Broadcast web site that deals with Radio and TV station operations said and I quote from the story"The problem was found at FEMA sending out the audio to WCCO -AM. This is why to test failed.FEMA is investigating that matter and have posted that they will take care of the problem and there will be a re-test sometime this year.Yes NWS is a part of the system.As far as NAWAS landline system after a check with Indiana State Police Operations Yes NAWAS was part of the system and all States were active on the landline system from The National Operations Center.NAWAS is used anytime a EAS warning is issued.Also NAWAS is tested every week with all the States and The National Warning Center.If you have any questions please feel free to CALL FEMA or the National Operations Center.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Mr.Rdale, You are not understanding that the***Test** was a test for EAS and it FAILED

No, the test worked. It showed them where the issues were. Many parts of the test worked flawlessly.

Yes NWS is a part of the system.

Stop being stupid. I never said NWS wasn't part of the system. I said they weren't part of THIS TEST. And that is true.

Also NAWAS is tested every week with all the States and The National Warning Center.If you have any questions please feel free to CALL FEMA or the National Operations Center.

Actually I'm one of the first to request a formal agreement to disseminate EAS messages, so I think you can just ask me if you have any questions since I got it.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
It appears to me that if you test a system and the system fails, that is a failure of the system, and a success for the test! After all the reason you test is to find problems.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Tests

It appears to me that if you test a system and the system fails, that is a failure of the system, and a success for the test! After all the reason you test is to find problems.
Does that make our school kids the "most successful"?

W9NES

Rdale and others I will share the link on where I got my infomation on *Why the test failed* and the official cause of the problem.Please feel free to check out The Broadcasters Desktop Resource.Yes the system Test did FAIL!!!! and was not a sucess as has been posted in this fourm.The Complete system across the US had the same problems. Including Direct TV showing a Slide for a EAS TEST with music playing from Lady GAGA. According to ABC News a person posted on a FCC web site on Direct TV'S EAS Test was the following: when we hear music "We should get up and dance?"The FCC and FEMA were not happy with this post."Lets all hope FEMA and the FCC get this Broken System FIXED before we have a NATIONAL EMERGENCY.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Sorry but NWS is a Part of EAS and should have been tested at the same time.This is why all of of us have SAME DIGITAL WEATHER/ ALL HAZARDS ALERT RADIOS.

The point is very clear on this issue.Number 1- SAME Digital Weather Alert Radios will also do EAS and there should have been a Backup System in the event that this system DID NOT WORK as It FAILED. ...
I am going to stick to this point alone.

Tim, are you purposely being obtuse or do you actually have some inability to understand the English language? NWS/NOAA broadcast was never intended to be part of this test; hence, you could have waited until hell froze over, but they were not going to broadcast the message. I assumed you didn't understand that point, which is why I pointed you in the right direction to get the answer with my first post in this topic. Others have done the same directly, but you continue to obstinately stick to your wrong thinking. Now, if you continue to harp on this issue, I can solve the problem, but you won't like it. You may take this warning any way you want, but understand, it is the only one you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.