encryption question

krb167

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
22
Reaction score
12
Location
North Scituate, RI
Well, he might not be able to give you the complete answer. The decision to encrypt communications (or not) lies with the chief and the command staff. No disrepect to patrolman Sroka (I like his TikToks too) but the chief probably didn't run it by him before making that decision.
 

DH11

Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2024
Messages
92
Reaction score
28
All of this encrypted BS is like a Biblical plaque spreading through the whole state pretty soon every PD will be infected and that totally sucks when you pay 700 dollars for a digital trunking scanner and you can listen to s??t anymore 👿
 

krb167

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
22
Reaction score
12
Location
North Scituate, RI
All of this encrypted BS is like a Biblical plaque spreading through the whole state pretty soon every PD will be infected and that totally sucks when you pay 700 dollars for a digital trunking scanner and you can listen to s??t anymore 👿
You are correct. There are several more agencies that will be going with encryption in the near future and I doubt that there will be many police departments without encryption by the time next summer comes around. If you want someone to blame, you can look to the online scanner apps and the social media "news" people showing up on scenes and reporting incidents before emergency services even arrive on the scene.
 

DH11

Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2024
Messages
92
Reaction score
28
Speaking of encryption are Pawtucket police 3 channels encrypted I haven't heard from them in a while? Thank you 😊 I have ch 1 470.7250 ch 2 471.0750 and ch 3 472.7250 all 3 are set to P25 NAC 293h
 

DH11

Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2024
Messages
92
Reaction score
28
Disregard I just heard Pawtucket in the clear Thank you anyway
 

wa1lad

Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2011
Messages
164
Reaction score
244
Location
RI
All of this encrypted BS is like a Biblical plaque spreading through the whole state pretty soon every PD will be infected and that totally sucks when you pay 700 dollars for a digital trunking scanner and you can listen to s??t anymore 👿
As the old TV infomercials used to say....

"Wait, there's still more!"

:LOL:
 

buddrousa

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
14,994
Reaction score
10,865
Location
Retired 40 Year Firefighter NW Tenn
With people using the radio systems to avoid the police or confront the police. Lawyers that sit and scan news then listen to the recorded traffic for cases it is only going to get worse as stated above. Techknowledgy has improved the Radio Industry as well as the Scanning Hobby but with anything a few bad actors ruin it for everybody.
 

W1KNE

President, Scumbag Society of America.
Database Admin
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
2,835
Reaction score
4,063
Location
Southern New England
All of this encrypted BS is like a Biblical plaque spreading through the whole state pretty soon every PD will be infected and that totally sucks when you pay 700 dollars for a digital trunking scanner and you can listen to s??t anymore 👿
You can listen to all kinds of things on that scanner still. It isn't like not having police makes it worthless.
 

W1KNE

President, Scumbag Society of America.
Database Admin
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
2,835
Reaction score
4,063
Location
Southern New England
You are correct. There are several more agencies that will be going with encryption in the near future and I doubt that there will be many police departments without encryption by the time next summer comes around. If you want someone to blame, you can look to the online scanner apps and the social media "news" people showing up on scenes and reporting incidents before emergency services even arrive on the scene.
There's one city in Rhode Island that is absolutely thrilled about being encrypted. I won't say who, but I know for a fact, they have had issues with scanner listeners for years. I was surprised they never went sooner. (Gil and I have discussed this offline).
Owning Scan New England and what not, I sometimes am privy to hearing when a department goes encrypted before they do.
However I won't disclose it publicly, as it's not my place to do so. I'll change it when I hear it OTA.

The above statement is correct, other departments are going encrypted.
 

Jimboh66

Newbie
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 29, 2025
Messages
4
Reaction score
2
Location
LYNN, MA
Although I agree with most police departments going to encryption due to high criminal activity, the scanner/ham enthusiast gets the crap end of the deal, been out of loop myself and just learned that Boston PD is encrypted, I've been listening since 1979, I understand there are other agencies worth monitoring but PD has been the best, hope everyone finds what they are looking for

Jim
 
Top