encryption scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
a dude on facebook made the statement that uniden sells scanners capable of receiving encryption, is that tru or false just wanting varification on that thanks

Uniden sells scanners that can monitor DMR and ProVoice transmissions, but encryption..... 100% false.

No scanner can monitor encrypted transmissions.

SCPD

QRT
You have to call the unlisted 800 number and order the bcd736hp with the cryptor buster firmware ;)

Who ever said that has no clue. Most likely the area they live in went digital and they do not understand ehat p25 clear and secure is.

Chronic

Many people seem to think or be confused and seem to think that all digital systems are encrypted just because they can no longer receive them on their old analog scanners

savage308

the chap in question lives here in town and has a didgital scanner he posted the comment on scan quinte's page, when i posted that no scanner can receive encrypted he posted wrong,lol

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
the chap in question lies here in town and has a didgital scanner he posted the comment on scan quinte's page, when i posted that no scanner can receive encrypted he posted wrong,lol

The "chap" is either lying to impress you and others or doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

DaveH

What's this to do with scanning in Ontario....?

Anyway, one more reason to avoid (or swear off) Facebook.

Dave

savage308

well this is his reply, Motorola make 2 models, because Motorola designed and build almost ever radio that runs encryption, and it would be a poor business move to design a system that would never need to be replaced or updated, hence the reason for a unit. I know of 2 businesses that will sell the unit and for a fee update the key for the encryption. I have physically seen and heard a unit in operation. and with sarcasm, most scanner forums the common response is "That would be illegal" or "yup cant do it, just like cell phones" as far as I'm concerned, there is only one thing that is truly secure, high frequency military broadcasts, never seen or heard of a system big enough or with the right tower or equipment to grab those broadcasts

bigcam406

Should have asked him how Belleville Police Service sounds. Another reason im not on "Facebag". Big difference between a consumer scanner and a pre-programmed commercial radio.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
i would say doesnt have a cluehe said he has 30 years of scanning experience,lol ya right

Yep....

Now he's saying that they are Motorola radios, he probably thinks those are scanners too.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've heard a few people claim this.
Never seen anyone provide any proof. Until then, it's all B.S. As they say "Pic's, or it didn't happen".

There's always some nebulous claim about Motorola. They are never able to explain how one gets the encryption keys, how it handles OTAR, etc. That usually indicates a lack of understanding about how such things work. And that usually indicates they are probably confusing something, or just outright making up stories.

savage308

i replied there is a big differnce between a Motorola radio and a scanner , this is his reply omg some peoples kids,, but if you really want to hear the broadcast it is a viable option, there seems to be several units in Toronto, and it also seems that the stores that are programing the encryption key are also the same people that are servicing the PD's units, because I have never seen a "key" posted for any encrypted service anywhere, only locations that are willing to enter the information

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Then he's probably confusing an actual transceiver that's been programmed to scan multiple talk groups/channels and have an encryption key put in them with a scanner. That's different than a receive only scanner.

Wouldn't surprise me at all that some radio shops would stoop to that level to make a dollar.

If this really is happening, it means someone has leaked the encryption key out and is using in a way that's working directly against the agency. Likely illegal on many levels. This is also a good reason why agencies need to handle encryption themselves and not farm the work out to local radio shops. If the keys are kept under the control of the agency, this wouldn't be an issue. It's easy enough to let a shop program the radios, minus the encryption keys, and then the agency loads the keys once the radios are back in their hands. This should be SOP, especially so encryption keys can be periodically changed.

However, this is different than a "scanner" that is magically able to decrypt traffic without a key. Sounds like he's confusing a receive only scanner with a transceiver.

But, it's kind of interesting that his story keeps changing to match your challenges. I think that should tell you something.

lelanjlaborde

Premium Subscriber
encryption

Most encrypted signals send the carrier which will hit on your scanner but the modulation will not come through! If someone can figure how to receive the modulation on a carrier you will be in business! Thank You!

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Stop. Just stop, OK? I have no patience for the silliness or lack of knowledge being demonstrated here.

If your pockets are deep enough and you have all the right credentials, it is notionally possible for you obtain encryption/decryption hardware that could be interfaced into a modified scanner. And then you would have to separately keyload the hardware using a keyloader BUT you'd still have to obtain the correct key from the agency you wish to monitor.

But there is absolutely positively no scanner or computer that can decrypt encryption "on the fly", by running through all the possible codes and finding the right one. The processing requirements alone to run a keysearch (let's say for AES-256) are absurd.

It would take 10^38 Tianhe-2 Supercomputers running for the entirety of the existence of everything to exhaust half of the keyspace of a AES-256 key.

That's 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Tianhe-2 supercomputers, not 1038.

FORGET IT. NOT HAPPENING.

There is no scanner that can, will, or COULD decrypt encrypted transmissions.

mciupa

What's this to do with scanning in Ontario....?

Anyway, one more reason to avoid (or swear off) Facebook.

Dave

Thread moved from Ontario Forum to Uniden Tavern due to its general nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.