Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

stmills

I don’t think they are serious- if they were they could have dispatch selectively encrypt. I suspect the messaging is coming from a third party possibly an Encryption vendor because the talking points are almost word for word to what the Denver Police gave to the media and public when they went encrypted. In over thirty years of monitoring there is only 1 time I ever recall an entry code being given over the air - that was on Hennepin Car to Car between 2 officers and the code was to a Government facility- never have I heard where a key was hidden or an access code given by dispatch.

citiot

ʇoᴉʇᴉɔ
Premium Subscriber
(I mostly don't think they are serious. I assume (most of) the real reason for this is to hide potentially embarrassing things said/done by their employees from the public.)

Of course they are grasping at straws.... not one documented MN case of LE being hurt due to scanner and scanner apps. Another thing they will do is invoke HIPPA. HIPPA is only for medical providers who charge money to patients. If they say they are complying with HIPPA, let them pass a HIPPA audit.

The change.org petition is up to 1700 signers in two days. Hutch won by around 2500 votes. He might pay attention. Can't hurt for everyone reading this to sign it. link to petition

Also, other counties might pay attention to the pushback.

I signed and called. The person taking my message over the phone seemed exasperated.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Their first point is weak. I've never heard locations of keys or codes broadcast over the air. There are ways to send that information. There are encrypted car-car channnels that can be used. Encrypting an entire channel to prevent maybe one or two seconds of possible sensitive stuff being broadcast in a day is an over reaction.

Their second point: I haven't heard of this actually happening.

They forgot number 3: covering their ass in the case of doing something shady. Sure you can probably file a foia request to get the audio, but that is a lengthy and not necessarily easy process and few people are likely to go to those lengths, basically closing their radio traffic off to the public.

stmills

From the ECN October News Letter
ARMER Encryption Discussion
On two occasions in September, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Interoperable Communications Technical Assistance Program (ICTAP) provided basic encryption webinars. While many ARMER system administrators are very familiar with encryption, others are not. The aim of these webinars was to set levels and provide a baseline understanding of encryption for all ARMER system administrators and interested users in preparation for future discussions. The next phase of our statewide conversation about encryption will be to survey ARMER users about current encryption usage and future desires. With the information gleaned from the survey, we will form a workgroup to dig deep into encryption. The workgroup will draft a recommendation to the Land Mobile Radio Committee regarding whether to change our current encryption technology and procedures.

johnmoe1

Someone wanted an updated version of the ARMER % encrypted chart I made earlier this year. It is something like:

I think this is close enough. If you wanted to use this data for something at all important, I would want to spend a little more time thinking about exactly what I am doing. This is count of transmissions not seconds of audio. Patched transmissions are counted multiple times. Transmissions on all call talkgroups are counted only once.

AAFC

This is an article printed in this week's Bloomington/Richfield Sun Current newspaper. (Dated November 7th, 2019) I scanned and posted it here for those who didn't see it. It reads just like the "standard" reply that dvendt received and posted earlier in this thread. (post #107)

My favorite quote is... "the county recognizes that it did not clearly communicate this change to the public before the new system went live"

article.jpg

Last edited:

stmills

Since there is no writer attributed to it and it list at the end contributed by the Hennepin County Sheriffs Office - they are printing the Sheriff’s office new release as if it was a researched news story, cheap version of journalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.