Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAFC

My council member replied saying "thanks for putting this issue on my radar" and he also said he would do some checking and get back to me later when he finds out more info. I asked him how the city could recently implement a new body camera policy, but be considering radio encryption at the same time..... I said, imagine having body cameras in place for many decades, but suddenly take them away. That would essentially be the same thing as having the ability to monitor crime in our neighborhoods for many decades via radio scanner, but suddenly taking that away with encryption.

Still waiting for a reply with more info.

citiot

ʇoᴉʇᴉɔ
Premium Subscriber
I did a few contacts to various reps and press. Nothing (except for one of my city council persons who is against it... for the right reasons, transparency and cost). I suspect there will be some stories in the press once the newsroom scanners go silent.

aaroncoates

I did a few contacts to various reps and press. Nothing (except for one of my city council persons who is against it... for the right reasons, transparency and cost). I suspect there will be some stories in the press once the newsroom scanners go silent.
well from what i know the county provided radios when 800 was launched. bet they'll switch em out for encrypted tg's.

stmills

From what I know agencies dispatched by the county have options for the radios: purchase through an approved vendor, purchase through the county or lease from the county. The first generation of Radios have been phased out by the county due to end of life and end of parts through Motorola. Motorola ran a special last fall for new radios that included encryption at no cost- some agencies replace radios 12 to 18 months ahead of schedule because the sale price was a good enough savings to justify the purchase and knowing that Dispatch was moving to encryption they were going to need radios with encryption if they didn’t have it in all their radios. I suspect the neighboring counties that have encryption plans in the works are just waiting and watching to see how the Hennepin move goes and if it goes without major problems more will move soon.

citiot

ʇoᴉʇᴉɔ
Premium Subscriber
Bummed. But there is other stuff to listen to.... Wonder how state tac channels will work? Those are very interesting to listen to. Naively, if the metro is all E, then it will be E in metro, but not E outstate?

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I am willing to bet where he says accredited news agencies can rent a device he is referring to the unication g5.

citiot

ʇoᴉʇᴉɔ
Premium Subscriber
Wow. Lots of people have signed the petition. I signed and called. Can't hurt.

dvendt

This is the reply I got from the Hennepin Co. Sheriff:
"Thank you for reaching out to the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office regarding the issue of encrypting our law enforcement radio channels. We recognize that some members of our community both enjoy listening to the radio traffic and feel it is important for the public to have access to the radio channels to ensure the transparency into the actions of law enforcement.

The decision to encrypt the radios was not taken lightly—it has been discussed for over four years with all of the agencies for which we provide dispatch services, and it was decision by all of the police agencies for whom we provide dispatch services. The reason we decided to encrypt the radios was twofold:

First, we believe the citizens of Hennepin County have a right to privacy, and an expectation that the information they give 911 is private. When people call 911 to report domestic abuse, a suicide attempt, or other sensitive matters, they likely do not want other’s hearing their personal information. Likewise, when a 911 caller shares their address along with the location of a hidden house key or the code to a keypad entry system, they do want that information broadcast to the public. Yet this information needs to be broadcast to responding officers and technology is allowing others to listen in on that information. Our mission is to protect the public. This includes protecting their data from those who might abuse it.

Second, mobile scanner apps have helped criminals around the country elude capture and put officers in danger by letting them monitor police response activity in real time. Scanner apps let listeners know where police are headed, giving criminals a chance to flee a crime scene, or an opportunity to arm themselves before police arrive.
So, as you can see, we are in a quandary: do we give the general population all of the information—some of it very personal—that is broadcast over the radio? Do we allow broadcast about law enforcement actions that may jeopardize the lives and safety of responding officers or the security of people’s homes? Or do we ignore those concerns and release everything to the public? We have, along with the other agencies we work with, decided that it is more important to safeguard the very personal information of our citizens and the safety of our officers responding to dangerous calls.

Ultimately, we are hoping for a technological solution that would allow us to do both—broadcast calls, but redact sensitive information—but until that technology emerges, we had to choose one way or the other."

johnmoe1

Ultimately, we are hoping for a technological solution that would allow us to do both—broadcast calls, but redact sensitive information—but until that technology emerges, we had to choose one way or the other.

I wonder if they are serious about that. I know there has been work in automatically redacting medical records.

citiot

ʇoᴉʇᴉɔ
Premium Subscriber
I wonder if they are serious about that. I know there has been work in automatically redacting medical records.
They do that already. Medical calls use initials. Dispatch says "name to your MDT" Sensitive conversations are handled by "can you call my cell?"

johnmoe1

They do that already. Medical calls use initials. Dispatch says "name to your MDT" Sensitive conversations are handled by "can you call my cell?"
No, I mean doctor's medical records. Being able to remove identifying information so that the records can be used for research, for example.

I was imagining software that could mute portions of the audio names, dates of birth, exact addresses, whatever. Maybe combined with a short delay when necessary.

(I mostly don't think they are serious. I assume (most of) the real reason for this is to hide potentially embarrassing things said/done by their employees from the public.)

Status
Not open for further replies.