Enhanced Text Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Ever since I have been a member of RR.com Forums, I have been using the Code Tags on this page and the Smilies Codes on this page to "mark up" my posts. I am also guilty of advising and referring others (BChris for one) to those pages. Today I found out (a huge "THANK YOU" to loumaag, our moderator for the Utah Forum) that there is a setting in the User CP that can be selected to give you the text window for postings as shown in the attachment.

This setting enables Code Buttons and Clickable Smilies to be added to your text box. If you want to enable this utility, go to your User CP > Edit Options > Misc. Options at the very bottom of the page. Click the drop-down menu and select Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG* and then Save Changes.

These are clickable buttons that saves you from having to manually enter the BB code tags to do the same thing.

I was so excited to find this out that I just had to make a post and pass on the news. Perhaps some (most? ...all? ...everyone but me?) already knew about this, but I didn't. :roll:

*What You See Is What You Get

---------------
EDIT: There is one other setting and that is Standard Editor. That one also enables the Clickable Code Buttons and Smilies but it adds the code to your text box rather than the end result. You may want to play with these options to select the one most comfortable for you.

I'm still excited about finding this. I know, I know...little kid reaction! :p Dumb, huh?

Attachments

• Post Screen.png
    Post Screen.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
He he :lol: I have always had my setup in the WYSIWYG editor. I don't remember changing that setting so I just figured that is what everybody's looked like.

Should be a bit easier for ya now... :D

qlajlu

Silent Key
He he :lol: I have always had my setup in the WYSIWYG editor. I don't remember changing that setting so I just figured that is what everybody's looked like.

Should be a bit easier for ya now... :D
Funny, because when I first registered I never made a selection and ended up having to manually enter the tags (it defaulted to Basic Editor for me). I just thought that version of vBulletin did not have "Clickables" available like other forums I have used. When Lindsay changed to this version it stayed the same for me so I asked about it.

Sometimes it takes a little longer for the light of day to reach some of us. :confused: I feel bad for advising a couple of our members to enter the manual tags when they only needed to make a settings change. :(

Actually, I like the Standard Editor because that is what the other forums I frequent default to so I am used to it.

Last edited:

Highpockets

Funny, because when I first registered I never made a selection and ended up having to manually enter the tags. I just thought that version of vBulletin did not have them available like other forums I have used. When Lindsay changed to this version it stayed the same for me so I asked about it.

Sometimes it takes a little longer for the light of day to reach some of us. :confused: I feel bad for advising a couple of our members to use the manual tags when they only needed to make a settings change. :(

It's funny how the little things can make ones day, and make you happy. :D:D

qlajlu

Silent Key
Well, one thing about it, by having to manually enter the codes for doing things like quotes, urls, bold, etc. and/or smilies, when I do a preview of the post and it does not look right, I can "troubleshoot" it a lot easier. I guess there is a moral there somewhere. :D

Now, if there was just some way to correct my sentence construction! :(

Highpockets

Well, one thing about it, by having to manually enter the codes for doing things like quotes, urls, bold, etc. and/or smilies, when I do a preview of the post and it does not look right, I can "troubleshoot" it a lot easier. I guess there is a moral there somewhere. :D

Now, if there was just some way to correct my sentence construction! :(

I got to be honest with you, it does make entering and replying to posts easier, the only thing I would like to see is different colors for each smilie, and make them just a little bigger. The improvements have been getting better with every update.

qlajlu

Silent Key
I got to be honest with you, it does make entering and replying to posts easier, the only thing I would like to see is different colors for each smilie, and make them just a little bigger. The improvements have been getting better with every update.
Yep, I agree, Steve, on the "better with every update" and different colors on the ones we do have would be interesting. I think it would be cool if they would add a smilie for "Green With Envy" and make the color...Green! :lol:

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
Do you mean like this one?
icon10.gif

bchris

Helpful Advice

glajlu,

Thank you so much for all the helpful advice you have given me and others on this forum. You and a number of others must use countless hours from your busy schedules offering both helpful advice and friendship. I would like to list more names, but I would for sure leave someone out, and where would I draw the line on who isnt helpful? I hope you all know who you are. I wish I could even come close to keeping up with you guys. Adding a simple smilie was a big milestone for me, and you helped me get there by offering the best path you knew of. Apparently my settings also did not default to the WYSIWYG editor. One day I will go enable it, but for now I will leave you with one of my first smilies, entered the old fashioned way. :cool: -bc

qlajlu

Silent Key
Why thank you, bchris. Actually, I'm partially disabled and spend a lot of time in front of the monitor. Never figured I have wasted any time by helping a newbie to the forums.

Ya done good!

Status
Not open for further replies.