PSR-800: errors/issues after upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Not yet. I thought I had a new one ready but I apparently used that one to download all my phone data that's being deleted by Samsung 🤨
Now I have to get another new one tomorrow.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Let me know if the new SD card fixes the problem. Don't worry about trashing the firmware again. You know what to do if that happens.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
New card didn't help... :(
If I push a particular button several times it will eventually register but that's rather inconvenient.

tvengr

Well Known Member
It may just be a case of cleaning the keypad or reseating a connector. I've never had a PSR800 apart to look at the key contact arrangement. How long ago was the upgrade done? It could still be under warranty.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
I can certainly hope that's all it is. I had it apart years ago to clip the piece of tape that dislodges and creeps up the screen. And looks like I'll have to do that again as there is some more coming up. So I suppose I could look around in there and clean it up.

The upgrade was done in December.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I don't remember the length of the warranty. You would have to check with Whistler. I believe it was only a couple of months and I suspect it has expired. Whistler scanners such as the 1040 and 1065 have a conductive glop on the rear of the buttons. That can wear after use. It is available online if you find that is the case with your scanner.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
I got in there and did not appear to be anything loose or broken that I could see.
The weird thing is that when I put it back together and powered it up, it allowed me to set the time and date without issue but soon as it went to scan the buttons stopped working. This makes me think there is still a card/soft/firmware problem... :unsure:

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Well tvengr, you were right. At first I figured it might be more of an issue unrelated to the card, after trying different ones, because I couldn't see how that would affect the internal physical workings like button function. Then, after the last attempt I surmised, along with you, that the buttons worked while powering up, apparently before the card is "detected", but then problems started as soon as the card was "in use" and scanning. I've had minor weird things happen in the years I've owned this unit and they have all been micro card related. Those dang rascally micros... :cautious:

So, after trying a couple different new micros I finally got a Sandisk 8G microsd HC class4 to work. For now everything seems to be back to normal.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Glad to hear you got it working. Let's hope it continues that way. The cards can completely disable a scanner. There is nothing worse than an intermittent problem. You never know for sure if you got if fixed. Keep your fingers crossed!

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Yes indeed.
I appreciate the help.
It seems strange that the micro would/could affect so many things but it appears that it does, many times over. Such is the nature of the beast.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
So, speaking of micro card issues and the 800, I wonder why this seems to be the only unit that I've had a problem with...

I have the HP1, 2 536's and the 1095 yet I've never had issues like I've had with the 800. Must be something within their build just didn't agree with the new "memory card technology" back when they started or else my unit was defective and/or I've had a lot of bad luck with all the different micros I've used in the 800. ;)

Swipesy

I have had my now Legacy 800 since September 2012. I use it every day and read/write to its SDCard at least twice a week. In these past nine years I am on my second SDCard. While it is possible you have a defective SD card reader in your scanner I think you are the exception to the rule.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
It would appear that way swipesy.
I've had to use several different micros over the years since I got this when it first came out. Maybe it's the amount of time it's in use, which is pretty much 24-7. I have it plugged into an outlet in my office and it's primary use is to log new TGID's.

Status
Not open for further replies.