PSR-800: errors/issues after upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntEnvy

Hello all ~ I'm wondering if anyone has started to see any issues with the 800 legacy upgrade from Whistler...

I did the upgrade a few months ago and recently started getting keypad problems ie. having to press whatever key I was attempting to do something with several times before it would register/work. I haven't gotten it dirty or spilled anything on it as it sits in my room and I don't take it anywhere. I suppose it could be the humidity ..? Also, a few times now I've come up to check the unit and it has shut down and shown error codes. I have seen this a few times over the years so I didn't actually check the error code number. Usually, I've simply cycled power or re-installed the sd card etc. and it would continue working as normal. This time it keeps doing it. I'll have to make sure I get the code when it does it again.

Just curious if anyone has been having the same problem or if this might just be another bad/worn out micro card again... Thank you for any help and advice.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Replace the SD card first to eliminate any other possibilities. You can try reformatting the card. It helps to have a spare card with the same programming to make a quick swap for troubleshooting. The SD card is the weakest link in the chain and can cause multitudes of weird problems.

AuntEnvy

Thank you tvengr... I agree with the card aspect. Seems that I've done that a few times over the years. That was going to be my next solution but I wanted to know if anyone had any such problems or if this was just another common issue.

repairman222

Hello all ~ I'm wondering if anyone has started to see any issues with the 800 legacy upgrade from Whistler...

I did the upgrade a few months ago and recently started getting keypad problems ie. having to press whatever key I was attempting to do something with several times before it would register/work. I haven't gotten it dirty or spilled anything on it as it sits in my room and I don't take it anywhere. I suppose it could be the humidity ..? Also, a few times now I've come up to check the unit and it has shut down and shown error codes. I have seen this a few times over the years so I didn't actually check the error code number. Usually, I've simply cycled power or re-installed the sd card etc. and it would continue working as normal. This time it keeps doing it. I'll have to make sure I get the code when it does it again.

Just curious if anyone has been having the same problem or if this might just be another bad/worn out micro card again... Thank you for any help and advice.
I received my PRS 800 from Whistler and it was upgraded to a WS1080. Has been flawless . Probably your sd card. Make so it has all the new updates and firmware. Also if you put in a new sd card you need to format the sd card.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Probably the keypad is worn out. You can try reinstalling the firmware and see if that helps. I do not see replacing the sdcard helping , but I have been wrong before. Good Luck!

AuntEnvy

I haven't had the chance to do the re-install etc. yet but I will be doing it today.
I'll keep you posted with the results/details soonly.

AuntEnvy

Well, looks like I'll be sending my unit in to Whistler anyway... it now appears to be bricked. After attempting to re-install the firmware etc. it won't turn off or do anything. Tried doing it a couple of times but it wouldn't recognize the scanner. Now, the 800 only shows the firmware version screen. The only way to power it off is to remove the batteries but it still immediately goes to the update screen and won't go away. Needless to say I didn't get a chance to try a new card.

Anyone having this issue at all ..?

AuntEnvy

After having the batteries out overnight and upon powering back up, my 800 is still frozen on this screen...
I'm unable to do anything with it. I did notice when I push the menu button or any button other than the power it will flash quickly and return to that boot screen. Not sure what I did wrong or how this happened. First time I've ever had an issue with any of these types of scanners.

I'm assuming I'll have to send it in for repair if I still want to keep/use it. :cautious:

Attachments

• 20210731_094807.jpg
    20210731_094807.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 9

tvengr

Well Known Member
uP App Ver: NONE means the scanner has lost its firmware. It is waiting for you to connect the scanner to your computer and run the CPU Updater that I supplied the link to. Hopefully, that will install the firmware and put the scanner back into operation.

AuntEnvy

Yes, thank you tvengr. The problem is it won't register that' it's plugged in to my PC either. Not sure if the driver is invalid again or some other issue.

AuntEnvy

Well, that got the unit back to it's previous condition but at least it's not frozen. ;)
Thank you so much for getting it out of "brick mode". But now I'm a little leery about trying to "fix" it again...

tvengr

Well Known Member
Turn the scanner off and replace the SD card. Go to the Scanner/SD Card tab in the WS1080 EZ Scan software and Prepare Scanner Memory/SD Card for Use. Then, you can try programming the scanner again. If you let me know your city and county and which agencies you would like to scan, I can help with the programming.

AuntEnvy

Thanks for your patience and help tvengr... That took a lot longer than I expected it to so I've used up my allotted scanner time, according to my girlfriend. It's now her time so I'll have to resume tomorrow. ;)

As for the programming, I'm able to do all of that and everything is still programmed and loaded into the 1080 ezscan program.

The sticky button issue is still present though. I'm afraid I'll either have to deal with it or decide if it's worth the money to send it to whistler for repair. Fortunately I have several other scanners in my arsenal so it's not a "crucial" decision. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.