External scanner speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

cratliff

Hello,
I am looking for the best way to hook up my 996t and bct15 to external speaker(s). I see that a single speaker is easily purchased for around $15. In that case I would need 2. Anyone know of a reasonably priced single speaker that has 2 3.5mm input jacks that can be run on both inputs at the same time. I have looked at scannermaster.com and universal-radio.com and havent really seen anything. All I am really trying to do is stack those 2 base scanners on top of the other flush to save space and keep everything right in front of me. the speakers are on the bottom so I will need external speakers. Anyone have a different solution or approach to this? Adaptors might work too?
Thanks!!

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
You should consider getting Motorola speakers, whacking off the connector and putting one that will fit on. Trust me the sound is amazing and it beats the little ones you can get else where hands down!

Here is even a link to ebay for a pair for just $5
!

And another here!

You'll want part number HSN4018A.

MVC-256S.JPG=600

SAR923

You really can't run two radios off one speaker. In addition to the electrical porblems of getting a good ohm match for both radios, you'd have to listen to two broadcasts coming out of the same speaker with no idea which radios are saying what. It's hard enough to keep traffic understandable with separate speakers. It's not hard to find space for two speakers, preferably one on either side of of the radio mounts. Trust me, you'll be much happier with this arrangement.

cratliff

You really can't run two radios off one speaker. In addition to the electrical porblems of getting a good ohm match for both radios, you'd have to listen to two broadcasts coming out of the same speaker with no idea which radios are saying what.

I can definitely see that side of things but what is the point of speakers like this:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/speakers/1672.html

I know that is a pro/expensive speaker....but it has 2 3.5mm jacks, as do a few others.
I will take a look at those motorola speakers and see what the deal is. I dont know how savvy I would be with putting on new connectors as I am kinda new to all this fun stuff that goes along with scanning :)

Correct me if I am wrong but it seems like from the 2 responses so far, that the best way to go is pretty much any single speaker running to each scanner?

KC0QNB

The external speaker you linked to is a powered speaker with some audio filters, which can come in handy, as a rule of thumb communications are basically designed for a 300-3000Hz response (roughly the range of a human voice) in the case of this one, for scanner use probably overkill, it would work nice for HF work however, but the 300Hz high pass filter would reduce the audibility out some ctcss tones and 60Hz (powerline hum).
Do you plan on using your scanners at home or mobile?,
if at home run the audio through your computer, if you use both scanners at the same time you can buy a audio line level mixer and do the same, also you could use the mixer to feed an amplified speaker, or for that matter a small APA (audio power amplifier) and speakers. It is really up to you and what you want to do.
I run my scanner audio through my second sound card and then it is available to record or add some DSP filters to get rid of some noise, if you want to record and add DSP you will probably need two sound cards.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
The speaker you linked to has an A/B switch which means you listen to one scanner or the other. As someone else already posted you are better off just getting 2 speakers. I've been monitoring for over 25 years and I can tell you, once you tune yourself, you can pretty much pick up on what you want to listen to when you have 2 speakers going. But also from experience from my old ICW32A which is/was my dual band portable w/scan - sometimes when something would be going on on both sides of the radio, it was difficult if not almost impossible to determine what was happening..

I think you'll find that while not only helpful, many of the members are telling you things from years of experience.

Good Luck -

Joe

Tom_G

Motorola or GE Ericsson

A agree with "NeFire242", the Motorola speakers are very good.
You can also find GE/Ericsson speakers for pretty cheap also.

Using these speakers is like night and day compared to the internal ones.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Are there any remote speakers that have a volume knob or better yet MUTE button on the speaker?

cratliff

I like the idea of running through a computer...but I only have a laptop, which runs hot after a while of being on so it would be more practical to get a couple of external speaker. I figured I wouldnt need filters and all that for just general scanning, that speaker I linked to was the first thing I found when backtracking for a link with 2 inputs :)
How difficult is it then, to attach a 3.5mm jack to a cord that has had the previous jack clipped off?
I am planning on using the speakers for home use with my 996t and bct15. I use my pro-95 for air band mobile use, but the built in speaker in that works fine.

KC0QNB

It is not hard to re do a plug if you can solder. make sure all the wires are in the right places, if you are going from a mono plug to stereo be extra careful.
You could go with another idea as I mentioned in my previous post and use a mixer like this http://www.nady.com/mm141_mixer_pg.html
plug your output of the mixer into a small set of powered speakers like these http://www.alteclansing.com/index.php?file=north_product_detail&iproduct_id=bxr1120
I am using an older version of this product, they work great.

cratliff

add to previous post...

I dont disagree with the thought of using a mixer and powered speakers (I do home recording so I have the equiptment), but I just want it to be as simple and hassle free as possible

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
If you want hassle free you're in the wrong hobby. haha. :p

I've never tried that brand of speakers before but if you're uneasy about whacking off the connector and putting your own on, than go for it. If nothing else there is plenty of cord and you can do it over, or ask if someone is in the area willing to help. Your local radio shop or a ham swap meet or something may already have some made up, just check and look around you're bound to find them.

And like most people have said, just go with two, and go for some quality commercial geared speakers, you will not be disappointed. I have many in my truck and they've been abused and jarred around from the rough county roads and stuff and they are loud and work. When I go on a call, who's speakers do we hear? Mine. :)

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Oooh, thats not too bad considering the other speaker was only 8 Watts. That might be a good choice to go with.

KC0QNB

Ok so I lied, and I am not done the wattage is the max input that the speaker will take before voice coil melt down, and failure of the speaker, there is not a scanner or two-way radio that will put out 10 watts of audio out of the box but having the higher power handling ability, is not going to hurt anyone, the bracket on the Pronouncers can be used different ways, the one I have in my Jeep is mounted flat,(the back of the speaker is next to my headliner) you can also hang the speaker perpendicular from the bracket hanging down from your dash, in the house, with the bracket in the perpendicular position on the bottom of the speaker, it sits with a slight tilt at the top. One other thing the Pronouncers I have also came with a metal hanger on the back so you can "hang them" from a partially open car window.

cratliff

I do like that last speaker that was suggested. And if you've had it 10 years, to me that sounds like pretty good quality. I had already bid last night on a brand new pair of Motorola Model No. HSN4018A speakers (the first ones that were suggested with adding a new connector). If I dont win them, I will look around town here in Phx and see if I can find a couple of those other ones!

jmp883

You might want to look at the MFJ-281 speaker. I have two of them in my radio room at home, each on a BC-780 scanner. The audio is very clear and crisp compared to the built-in speaker of the 780. I also use an MFJ-281 speaker on the Kenwood TM-V708A transceiver in my truck. Again, the audio is superlative to what the built-in speaker can provide. In the Kenwood I set up the radio to route the 'left' side audio through the MFJ speaker and the 'right' side audio through the built-in speaker. The Kenwood is a dual-receive radio so the left side is programmed with my local VHF/UHF repeaters and the right side is programmed with my local FD/PD/EMS frequencies. When audio is received on the left side of the radio it comes out via the MFJ speaker and the radio automatically mutes any audio being received on the right side of the radio. Once the left side is done receiving the right side unmutes. Having each side coming from a different speaker makes it easier to listen to both at the same time....at least for me anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.