fayette county frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
On my old Pro 2040 I can pick up fayette county law 481.9000(which picks up both sides of the conversation) but when I try to add that to my 2096, I get nothing(I hear it clear on my Pro 2040). Am I missing something?

wvscanner

Database Admin
I would say it is a image or a ghost freq. as some called it. On the older scanner the IF crystal were something like 20.x to 24.x. Looks like yours is 21.6. You can take any freq. and add that number to it and get the same results.

My IF was something like 21.7 and I could take TV 4 freq. of 71.75 - 21.7 = 50.05 and listen to the tv on it. even thu my scanner was not make for tv band. Yes, I know i minus my number to get it, but it worked.

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I would say it is a image or a ghost freq. as some called it. On the older scanner the IF crystal were something like 20.x to 24.x. Looks like yours is 21.6. You can take any freq. and add that number to it and get the same results.

My IF was something like 21.7 and I could take TV 4 freq. of 71.75 - 21.7 = 50.05 and listen to the tv on it. even thu my scanner was not make for tv band. Yes, I know i minus my number to get it, but it worked.

I remember way back when cell phones just came out and the FCC ruled that those freqs were to be blocked on all new scanners. You could still listen using the image freq of the scanner. Not that I ever did this though. :)

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The way you put it,on my 2040,the 481.9 is a "ghost image" of 460.3000 which is fayette county law (-21.6) -I hear both,so in theory it should be the same with me hearing both on my 2096? I suspect this is not the case for my 2096 for some odd reason.

wvscanner

Database Admin
Your 2096 IF crystal may not be the same. When the FCC was cracking down on scanners that could pickup cellular phones the makers then changed the IF crystal and some scanners have multi crystal so they are not the same. I'm also thinking some also requried 2 and 3 to work so people could not get cell phone bands.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
The way you put it,on my 2040,the 481.9 is a "ghost image" of 460.3000 which is fayette county law (-21.6) -I hear both,so in theory it should be the same with me hearing both on my 2096? I suspect this is not the case for my 2096 for some odd reason.

Why don't you just listen to the correct freq? Not sure why you'd want to listen to the image freq.

wvscanner

Database Admin
Your right that would be a ghost freq.

mike
I had a AOR 8200 what would do that. Not that I listen to people but it was fun to put it in search mode for that freq. when it would find it and I was close to them it would hang up there phone calls.

Last edited:

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Mike,was trying to be on the safe side and learn more on this(as I orginally thought this was the proper frequency as I listened to 481 for years exclusively on my 2040),and thanks to WVscanner for that FCC explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.