Fire codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyB

n0doz said:
We used to have a brush truck at DIA... it was replaced by one of the Hummer fire trucks, but I think it's still around somewhere as a reserve. If anyone's interested, I'll get a photo of it if I can find the rig. It (and the Hummers) also are used for fire response in the baggage tunnels.
Speaking of Hummers, we have 3.

I have a picture of that old brush truck you are talking about, since I toured when they just had the hummer at 31's and not the others. Which stations are the other hummers at? Can you get pictures of them to post?

Thanks!

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
>Thank you, my misunderstanding. I couldn't remember the time that was allowed, for some reason I was under the understanding that the bigger rigs couldn't. Thanks!

No problem. Got a few friends over at DFD out there, so I get the fireman's view of things.

Last edited:

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
MikeyB said:
I have a picture of that old brush truck you are talking about, since I toured when they just had the hummer at 31's and not the others. Which stations are the other hummers at? Can you get pictures of them to post?

Thanks!

There's one at ARFF 1 (Mini 31) and 1 at ARFF 2 (Mini 32). The third is the original and used as a reserve.
The newer ones are built a little differently from the first. They look the same, but are supposedly lighter. Because of the weight, the first one was going thru brakes and tires every 8000 miles.
I'll dig thru my file...I think I already have a couple pics.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
..Couldn't find Hummer pics, but here are a couple in the meantime, including one of the new ARFF 4 station.

Attachments

• DSCF0051 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0051 (Medium).JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCF0424 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0424 (Medium).JPG
    68 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0002 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0002 (Medium).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0003 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0003 (Medium).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2079 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2079 (Medium).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 169

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Here's a picture of the Hummer, courtesy of the Danko website (builder of the apparatus).

Attachments

• H022-1.jpg
    H022-1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 169

KB9LMJ

n0doz said:
>Thank you, my misunderstanding. I couldn't remember the time that was allowed, for some reason I was under the understanding that the bigger rigs couldn't. Thanks!

No problem. Got a few friends over at DFD out there, so I get the fireman's view of things.

They're quite lucky then that all can make it in time. I know the reason that a lot of airports run the ramp trucks, among other things, is to make that time/water requirement and that's perfectly acceptable by standards. And those are some sweet pics!

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
MrSpeakEZJr said:
They're quite lucky then that all can make it in time. I know the reason that a lot of airports run the ramp trucks, among other things, is to make that time/water requirement and that's perfectly acceptable by standards. And those are some sweet pics!
Training, practice, and well-placed fire stations. They weren't afraid to replace a station just to insure that the standards would be met.
And thanks! I've been trying to catch a photo of one of the Hummers since I posted the other pics, but of course I haven't been in the right place/right time...

cstockmyer

What are the Different levels of staging? Sometimes when a fire is dispatched, the units on scene talk about level 1 staging..is that the highest or lowest, and can someone explain the different stages?

Thoes hummers are cool. Thoes might fit in the tunnels under DIA that is for sure. Awhile back did some firefighters get in trouble for riding in one of thoes? Or am I wrong?

BoxAlarm187

Premium Subscriber
Level 1 staging is having all additional responding apparatus stage within a block of the incident. This is very common.

Level 2 staging is having a dedicated staging area (usually a field or parking lot) away from the scene. This is used for major incidents, where a Staging Officer will oversee the area, and when the Incident Commander requests X number of apparatus, the Staging Officer will decide who goes. Generally, this is only used on very large fires or complex incidents.

Level 3 staging has nothing to do with where the fire trucks park at all. This is used on high-rise incidents, and describes which floor the firefighters & equipment will stage on prior to being sent to the fire floor. It's usually two floors below the fire floor.

Hope this helps...

cstockmyer

BoxAlarm187 said:
Level 1 staging is having all additional responding apparatus stage within a block of the incident. This is very common.

Level 2 staging is having a dedicated staging area (usually a field or parking lot) away from the scene. This is used for major incidents, where a Staging Officer will oversee the area, and when the Incident Commander requests X number of apparatus, the Staging Officer will decide who goes. Generally, this is only used on very large fires or complex incidents.

Level 3 staging has nothing to do with where the fire trucks park at all. This is used on high-rise incidents, and describes which floor the firefighters & equipment will stage on prior to being sent to the fire floor. It's usually two floors below the fire floor.

Hope this helps...

That is what I am looking for, thanks!

cstockmyer

Why don't fire fighters radios melt in the fire? Also do they have a radio in the air mask? Or are they holding it up to the mask and yelling?

BoxAlarm187

Premium Subscriber
Although it does tend to get very hot in the fire, the radios generally fair pretty well. As for the antennas ... well, I've melted a lot of antennas! Most modern jackets have a radio pocket sewn on the front (or on the sleeve) of the jacket, so the radio is offered some protection there.

We used to have to yell into the radio through our masks, but that's pretty much gone by the wayside with the introduction of the speaker-mics. There are a number of departments that have thier speaker-mics integrated into the facepiece itself, which gives you very clear communications, but creates a few issues also. Neighboring departments have been having mixed luck with thier system like this.

Virtually all breathing apparatus manufacturers are including voice amplifiers on the mask now, which allow you to speak at a normal level, but still be clearly heard outside the mask.

Anything else, let me know...

cstockmyer

What does a firefighter mean when they ask for a PAR? Also who runs a scene? I heard a Chief this AM answer to a Command..should that be the other way around??

Thanks by the way for putting up with my questions...in all my scanning, it never donned on me I could listen to fire departments.

BoxAlarm187

Premium Subscriber
PAR stands for Personnel Accountability Report. This is given at time intervals (say, every 10 or 15 minutes) to the commander, ensuring that all persons from a given company are accounted for.

The scene is run by the IC (Incident Commander). This could be anyone from a trained firefighter who happens to be occupying the front seat of the first-arriving fire engine to a lieutenant, all the way up to the chief of the department. Generally, the officer of the first arriving piece will be the IC until a Battalion Chief (or equivilent) arrives and assumes command.

No problem with all the questions, it's a pleasure to educate those who like to learn...

cstockmyer

BoxAlarm187 said:
PAR stands for Personnel Accountability Report. This is given at time intervals (say, every 10 or 15 minutes) to the commander, ensuring that all persons from a given company are accounted for.

The scene is run by the IC (Incident Commander). This could be anyone from a trained firefighter who happens to be occupying the front seat of the first-arriving fire engine to a lieutenant, all the way up to the chief of the department. Generally, the officer of the first arriving piece will be the IC until a Battalion Chief (or equivilent) arrives and assumes command.

No problem with all the questions, it's a pleasure to educate those who like to learn...

That makes since in the way it was said over the air. Here in Denver does Hammer battalion go any where in Denver? Or do they have a district to stay in? Also out at DIA don't they have a Fire truck that looks like a beer truck? When I worked at AMR combs we saw it once. It was painted green like the others, it just looked like a beer truck with all the different compartments.

Last edited:

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
That makes since in the way it was said over the air. Here in Denver does Hammer battalion go any where in Denver? Or do they have a district to stay in? Also out at DIA don't they have a Fire truck that looks like a beer truck? When I worked at AMR combs we saw it once. It was painted green like the others, it just looked like a beer truck with all the different compartments.
Yes, the Hazmat ("Hamer") unit responds citywide, including the airport. The truck is located at Station 6, over there by Auraria.
The "beer truck" is a heavy rescue unit. It carries trench shoring equipment and other heavy stuff. When it first arrived at DIA, we all thought it was going to be a portable morgue.

cstockmyer

Thanks! I think I heard that rumor that is was a morgue on wheels. The other one was the Fire guys out there threw a great party lol. Do off duty fire personnel still deice planes in the winter?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
Thanks! I think I heard that rumor that is was a morgue on wheels. The other one was the Fire guys out there threw a great party lol. Do off duty fire personnel still deice planes in the winter?

Yes many of my FF friends de ice planes on there 4 days, a very lucritive job to say the least.

Jim<

Status
Not open for further replies.