53.7 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF1649 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF1649 (Medium).JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF1650 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF1650 (Medium).JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 96

cstockmyer

Why are they painted that lovely shade of green? Is that something DFD decides?

Those are great pics by the way!

M

mpg0515

cstockmyer said:
Why are they painted that lovely shade of green? Is that something DFD decides?

Those are great pics by the way!

Green?

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Thanks!
Not sure who picks the color... all DIA-DFD equipment is ordered in hi-viz lime green/yellow.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
What does DFD mean when they refer to "buttons" in the fire rig?

There MDT "Mobile Data Terminal" they havce In-service, Out of Service, Enroute etc buttons they push.

Jim<

KB9LMJ

jimmnn said:
There MDT "Mobile Data Terminal" they havce In-service, Out of Service, Enroute etc buttons they push.

Jim<
Yep, we just got laptops about a month ago for most of the rigs in addition to the status heads. The old status heads are still hooked up and override the computer inputs (incase of a crash, which seems to happen all the time). But the computers also have the same buttons as the status heads. They are touch screen and have AVL, best-route routing that uses roads and times for equipment routing, not the old line of site system that used to be in the system. It's pretty nice cause you can see all the calls in the city and the notes from all dispatchers involved (PD/DHH/FD, etc) and all the rig statuses and where they are on the map. It updates every 10 seconds, so when you're responding, you're not entirely real time, but it's pretty close.

KB9LMJ

Eventually they're going to have overlays that show hydrants, inportant info, etc...but that'll be a little ways out. There are so many overlays available in the software that it'll be a real mess if they use them al. So they're trying to figure out what's going to be inportant and what's not.

cstockmyer

MrSpeakEZJr said:
Yep, we just got laptops about a month ago for most of the rigs in addition to the status heads. The old status heads are still hooked up and override the computer inputs (incase of a crash, which seems to happen all the time). But the computers also have the same buttons as the status heads. They are touch screen and have AVL, best-route routing that uses roads and times for equipment routing, not the old line of site system that used to be in the system. It's pretty nice cause you can see all the calls in the city and the notes from all dispatchers involved (PD/DHH/FD, etc) and all the rig statuses and where they are on the map. It updates every 10 seconds, so when you're responding, you're not entirely real time, but it's pretty close.

wow interesting!

cstockmyer

Does each station have a tower and a pumper? Or are towers reserved for stations near down town or the DTC?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
Does each station have a tower and a pumper? Or are towers reserved for stations near down town or the DTC?

Towers and Ladder companies are certainly not in every station if your referring to DFD they are placed thru out the city.

Tower-1,4,15, 16, 26, 27

Truck 8, 9

Etc

Jim<

cstockmyer

jimmnn said:
Towers and Ladder companies are certainly not in every station if your referring to DFD they are placed thru out the city.

Tower-1,4,15, 16, 26, 27

Truck 8, 9

Etc

Jim<

Ok...so what is the difference between a tower and a ladder?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
Ok...so what is the difference between a tower and a ladder?

I emailed you a bunch of pictures they would not allow me to post here.

Most Tower's include a bucket and ladder are just that a stick and squirts are ladder pipes with a water source already plumbed to the tip of the ladder.

And a Quint also, Denver uses those. The East Coast experts will pitch in>>

Jim<

Last edited:

cstockmyer

jimmnn said:

Most Tower's include a bucket and ladder are just that a stick and squirts are ladder pipes with a water source already plumbed to the tip of the ladder.

Jim<

Yeah I got thoes..thanks Jim!

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
jimmnn said:

Jim<

Just to clarify, if I may. Towers have a "bucket" on the end of the aerial device that allow 2-3 firefighters to stand. Towers also have either one or two master stream devices on the end of the bucket for flowing massive amounts of water.

Ladders are similar aerial devices, but don't have the bucket on the end to stand in. They typically have a water pipe that runs along the bottom of the ladder to allow for water application from a great height.

A Squrt (which is a brand name) is a elevated master stream device sold in lengths of 55' and 65'. These lengths are considerably shorter than the Towers and Ladders mentioned above. Thier main purpose is to apply water from a height. Squrts have a very small ladder on the top, but they're NOT designed for victim rescue.

Okay, enough commentary from the East Coast, y'all carry on. :D

Last edited:

MikeyB

jimmnn said:

Tower-1,4,15, 16, 26, 27

Truck 8, 9

Etc

Jim<

To add to this (I believe this is accurate as it's hard to keep up with who has a Tower and who has a Truck. I thought 15, 26 and 27 had trucks, but again it's hard to tell when most of the time you hear them going they are going as 15's Appair.

Squirt 10, 17
Truck 2, 12, 31
Tower 19, 22, 23

Status
Not open for further replies.