First attempt at SDR... what did I do wrong? (Ontario, Canada)

radar_hunter

The Nooelec RTL-SDR v5 is probably a decent choice if you want an RTL-SDR.

But please note that most RTL-SDRs do not work well in the HF range and below. These modern dongles made by Nooelec or RTL-SDR blog can do it, but the direct sampling "hack" that they use doesn't work very well for that purpose. This applies to the AM broadcast band too. Nooelec claims that they have improved the direct sampling feature compared to others, but I still don't think it would work *very* well.

The R820T2 and R860 tuners, commonly used in these RTL-SDRs, can operate down to 24 MHz, and below that the direct sampling mod must be used. You may still find RTL-SDRs with different tuners that have different frequency limitations and may not allow the direct sampling mod at all.

For improved HF experience, you will need one of these:
- an upconverter (HamItUp and Spyverter are popular choices)
- an RTL-SDR with integrated upconverter (the RTL-SDR blog v4 has this, Nooelecs apparently not)
- an SDR with better HF capabilities. SDRplays should be good, for example, and they have very wide frequency range. For demanding HF use, there are Airspy HF+, Perseus etc.

And you will also need a good antenna as others already said.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
The Nooelec RTL-SDR v5 is probably a decent choice if you want an RTL-SDR.

But please note that most RTL-SDRs do not work well in the HF range and below. These modern dongles made by Nooelec or RTL-SDR blog can do it, but the direct sampling "hack" that they use doesn't work very well for that purpose. This applies to the AM broadcast band too. Nooelec claims that they have improved the direct sampling feature compared to others, but I still don't think it would work *very* well.

The R820T2 and R860 tuners, commonly used in these RTL-SDRs, can operate down to 24 MHz, and below that the direct sampling mod must be used. You may still find RTL-SDRs with different tuners that have different frequency limitations and may not allow the direct sampling mod at all.

For improved HF experience, you will need one of these:
- an upconverter (HamItUp and Spyverter are popular choices)
- an RTL-SDR with integrated upconverter (the RTL-SDR blog v4 has this, Nooelecs apparently not)
- an SDR with better HF capabilities. SDRplays should be good, for example, and they have very wide frequency range. For demanding HF use, there are Airspy HF+, Perseus etc.

And you will also need a good antenna as others already said.
Then let me introduce you to RTL-SDR Blog v4. It uses a ring mixer in quadrature sampling. Gone are the days switching to the Q branch while tuning below 24MHz. Seamless operation but let me show you how hot the R828D in the RTL-SDR Blog v4 is:

Still aliases while overloaded but you get to use RF Gain and AGC's unlike the Q branch!