AR5700D First impressions

sub101uk

Well to be honest unless you have the updated firmware installed in the radio its disaster anyway as from my experience the original was bad and now I am hear that 07 is also crashing on start up causing a boot error .

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
Well, you know how it starts off…. Something along the lines of. “My uncle bought a Ford car and had nothing but trouble with it, I’m not touching one!” And so the story goes on and on until eventually you start believing that every single Ford car is nothing but trouble!
And then there are those, and this is speaking from experience, the ones who have never had the experience of owning one, are the ones who know best AND create the biggest stink about something that ‘they know best.’
For the record: There really is no comparison between the AOR DV-1 and the 5700D. I mean, absolutely no comparison apart from being made by the same Company.

Alanswebb, after my cursory, initial evaluation of the DV-1 vs. the 5700D, I am in full agreement with with your statement that there is NO comparison between the DV-1 and the 5700D. The DV-1 is a capable digital decode receiver encompassing most digital modes, however after spending a day or two with my 5700D, my DV-1 audio during digital decode now sounds muffled and choppy compared to the 5700D . I have yet to scratch the surface of the 5700D regarding things like dual receive, cyber search, HF monitoring and many of the sub menus. I have only programmed a few banks of my local public safety, a mix of UHF analog FM and P25. We have a bus company here that uses TETRA and the DV-1 does a decent job decoding with occasional cutting out or choppiness. So far the 5700D has been spot on with TETRA decode, NO cutting out or choppiness. I did post a short video of the 5700D scanning memory banks on the AOR5700D Communications Receiver Facebook page if anyone is interested. More to follow.......

sub101uk

To bring every one on the group up todate regarding my 5700D that had been sent back to the dealer and forward to the main importer . After it had been reported that the radio had gone deaf on VHF + UHF . I had many pictures showing before when it returned from the workshops back in March 2021 and When the radio seen to have gone deaf in May 2021 . Also the radio was also checked for sensitivity by my local independent PMR Communications shop they also found it to be deaf on VHF/UHF.This report was not accepted due to the workshops not being on AOR approved test/service centres list. I had a email today from the dealer who forwarded a email from the imported showing a full sensitivity check . Freq- Input – RX signal strength.
05 -101.6
25 -111.2/115.2
50 -111.5/114.6
100 -111.6/111.7
200 -109.3/109.3
400 -112.3/111.3
800 -112.7/112.3
1296 -115.3/114.4
1941 -116.2/113.9
Ant 2 has full bandwidth.
Also
455.65 121.3 and 120.8
With input -117 dBm [0.316 micro V]
There conclusion is that there is no fault with the radio !!! I find the whole very strange since the radio was checked and checked with a second radio and found to be deaf , Even the local independent PMR Communications shop found it deaf ? So I have no idea whats going on . From looking at the above report it would seem that the sensitivity has returned ? But I will give it a full check when it returns .If I did not know any better I would say the CPU has been reflashed with fresh firmware so how long its going to last I have no idea . But when it returns next week I will make a note of the date and see how long its going to run this time . As you can see from the attached pictures something dont add up ? As you can see from the picture , Same antenna with No duplexers + straight plug straight into the one radio then the other . So it would seem that the fault is still on the radio and its only a matter of time before it goes again and when it does then what ??

Attachments

• Compare signals on 5700D + IC-275H.JPG
    Compare signals on 5700D + IC-275H.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 21

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
So it would seem that the fault is still on the radio and its only a matter of time before it goes again and when it does then what ??

You cannot win this. AOR will not admit any faults, that is well proven. Even if they have 'worked on' the Radio to get it working again, it seems to me you need to decide whether you want/need to be a 5700D Owner under any circumstances, or QUICKLY take the opportunity that AOR has presented to you.

The Dealer now has to accept that the Radio is working perfectly, after all it has been checked and verified from AOR itself. Surely now is the time to say you want to part exchange it? You will lose some money but you/they have the absolute proof from AOR that it is in perfect condition (if not better). Naturally AOR must be totally believed (sigh).

So there is a choice. They will not change the Radio as all problems with it never existed from their perspective (apparently). As you said before you cannot risk selling it elsewhere, and it appears you naturally have no confidence in it. If you keep it just how much are you prepared to have to keep spending on the Radio I wonder?

sub101uk

Maybe thats the reason why the radio why the radio cost £4599 it repairs its self .

As far as choice goes I cannot with sell this radio to some unexpected person knowing it has a intermittent front end because you cant hide the problem on DMR because the signal is so weak that the radio no longer decodes it . Its a bit like selling a second hand car knowing that there is a major problem with it .

When the radio returns next week I will expect the radio to be fully working and will take pictures of meter and scope readings because like I said its only a matter of time before it goes again and we will be having this same conversion in a few months time .

The only other way is drive down to the importers at Portsmouth and get them to test the radio in front of me .Then and only then can you show its deaf other wise I will just be going round in circles .

If none of the above works then its trading standards because when you have bought a something like this for this amount of money it should within reason keep working as its very clear " unfit for purpose "

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
You seem to have missed my main point. At the moment the Importers cannot come up with any excuse not to exchange the Radio for other goods, or 'buy' it from you. Balance what they offer against all the worry and expense of keeping this 5700D.

If they test it and say they will not 'deal' because it is not working correctly, you have some proof it is not fit for purpose, a partial 'win' for you in any legal proceedings.

They are unlikely to do that, as they have the report from AOR that it is currently 'perfect', and really have to stick to that position. That is the 'cruncher' if you strike NOW then you will at least get something back, a reasonable amount hopefully.

If you accept it back until it fails again then the Importers have the opportunity of refusing to exchange it for different equipment. Then even more expense for you.

sub101uk

At the end of the day it will just end in a small claims job I am sure they would not like that or maybe they would that in the end they would end up with a CCJ against .

Next time it goes deaf assuming its now fix its going down to a commercial RF Lab and they will give a full report on the sensitivity then they can explain why they found nothing wrong with the radio .

It should be interesting reading in the local paper or social media as for cost its not the first time I have had to do this before I hired a brief and they charge per hour .

If the radio goes back to Japan and again they confirm " Nothing to see Here " it will return in a few months time so dont see any point in not accepting the radio back but when the problem returns in a few months time as it will because dont forget they have said in there report " There conclusion is that there is no fault with the radio " .

So when the radio arrives next week we shall see how long it works for , From past experience I would say about October if I am lucky, Then we can have the same conversion again except it will be shipped to a commercial RF Lab , Yes I know AOR / Importers wont accept this report but its not for them its for the small claims court because like I said many times before , This radio is " Unfit for purpose " Thats not to say All 5700D are the same as mine there not as other owners of this group and FB groups will tell you .

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
My 5700D has been excellent for the short time I have owned it. Zero issues. A commercial grade receiver for sure. ZERO comparison to any other AOR receiver I have owned including the 8200, 8600, DV-10 and DV-1.

alanswebb

My 5700D has been excellent for the short time I have owned it. Zero issues. A commercial grade receiver for sure. ZERO comparison to any other AOR receiver I have owned including the 8200, 8600, DV-10 and DV-1.
Same here…. can’t help but want to spend lots of time getting to know ‘her’ so much in fact, the wife is beginning to get jealous. And it’s only been two weeks!

sub101uk

I am very happy to hear that both have had no outstanding problems I wish I could say the same . Both yours are only a few months old where as mine was one of the first in the UK and bought January 2020 so my warranty expired over 6 months .In hindsight I should have waited but the first 6 months of owning the radio it spent over in Japan making 2 trips for replacement firmware .

But the last 2 trips to the workshops have for sensitivity issues on both occasions when they have returned the radio the sensitivity has been excellent and like you when its working it does a good job in my case however within a months it goes deaf again . So its clear the problem is a intermittent one , But I am sure what there not telling me is that they re flashing the firmware and this brings back the sensitivity . This radio is very much dependent on what firmware is installed from how it decodes , frequency coverage for thoses owners reading this they will also know that you can also change the Attenuator level this again is all generated from the firmware so again I still think all they do is just re-flash the firmware and away it goes again with full sensitivity .

Anyway as all 5700D owners know you cannot upgrade the firmware yourself it needs to be returned to your local AOR importer or Japan .
When my radio went deaf twice on both occasions I did try Factory reset One + Two and on both times the radio was still found to be deaf . So when the radio returns next week all I can see is count the days before it goes deaf again and when it does then What ?

Attachments

• 5700D Brains.JPG
    5700D Brains.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 18

Ubbe

Freq- Input – RX signal strength.
05 -101.6
25 -111.2/115.2
50 -111.5/114.6
100 -111.6/111.7
200 -109.3/109.3
400 -112.3/111.3
800 -112.7/112.3
1296 -115.3/114.4
1941 -116.2/113.9
-110dBm are 0,7uV and -112dBm are 0,55uV and AOR's brochure says less than 0,4uV for the range 25Mhz-2750MHz using NFM mode.
What values did the PMR shop measure for your receiver?

/Ubbe

sub101uk

The full report was sent to the importer showing it was way down on sensitivity on VHF/UHF I dont have the spec in front of me but I have got all the pictures showing the difference . Of when the radio returned in March 2021 and May when it went deaf again .
First set of pictures show the same signal on 2m on the Icom 275H + 5700D this is on the same antenna .

Next is picture showing when the radio returned with new firmware in March 2021 This is my local radio station , Next Picture shows same station after thev radio has gone deaf as you can see its way down .

Attachments

• Compare signals on 5700D + IC-275H.JPG
    Compare signals on 5700D + IC-275H.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Essex Radio New Firmware-min.jpg
    Essex Radio New Firmware-min.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Essex Radio Deaf-min.jpg
    Essex Radio Deaf-min.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 20

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber

Can someone please explain in 'detail' what exactly 'ZERO comparison' means in relation to the 5700D and all other AOR receivers?

If one tunes to 5.505 MHz USB on an AOR AR3000 and recieves an S9 signal and hears / understands the voice signal clearly, or on an AR-DV1 or other AOR Radio, then tunes a 5700D to the same signal what makes those other signals 'non/zero comparable' please? The only way those signals become literally 'non comparable' is if they suddenly cease to exist surely?

Does one then possibly realise that the signal that one was listening to on the other Receivers never existed at all, and one only 'thought' they were strong and intelligible.

Is the signal strength and audio quality of the 5700D so superior, that when switching back to one of the other Radios one can no longer understand the signals, or find them to have 'zero' acceptability and unintelligible?

I am really (honestly) pleased for 5700D owners who find the Radio what they wanted. Good for you.

I found my 'personal' ideal in having the AR-DV1 and Icom IC-R8600 joined up and working together, or individually. However rightly or wrongly I do see that as my 'very subjective and personal opinion', and do not feel the need to ever dream of re-enforcing my choice by using terms that denigrate the capabilities of other AOR receivers.

I do not own a 5700D, hence the questions. I never will own one for various reasons, not the least of which I am high if not top of AOR's blacklist, and the chances of me ever receiving the Radio back after a firmware upgrade would be very, very unlikely.

I suppose in some ways that may make me lucky, because if the 'zero comparison' statement is accurate, all the other AOR (and other make) Radios I use will keep functioning, and only if it is an 'illusion' I will 'think' they are receiving signals to my satisfaction, LOL.

sub101uk

Best have a chat with alanswebb +SigIntel8600 They maybe able to help you with your question or contact W&S in Portsmouth they should be able to answer any technical questions you may have .

Due to all my problems with the 5700D I am not the best person to answer them , I will only say the times it has been running it has excellent performance I dont own a DV1 or a IC-R8600 so I cannot compare them .

Ever since owned the radio I have looked for someone local to compare there performance with and found no body . Forget whats specs they give you in the manuals just put the radios side by side using the same antenna and compare them . The only way I could compare my 5700D is jumping in the car , book a river crossing and drive down to Portsmouth .

So marlbrook you need to find some local owner of a 5700D then and only then can you compare the radios all side by side all working from the same antenna ( NOT PLUGGED IN AT THE SAME TIME ) But you know what I mean . Specs mean very little .

sub101uk

Thats sounds interested Mike and its something that the importer thought I was using but most antenna here all have there own feeds to give you some idea how many runs of LDF-450 and other feeds this does not include all the cables for the EME dish .

I have used 2 x diamond triplexers before to help cut down the amount for feeds going up the tower haveing one on each end having the tower end go to 3 x Antenna 23 cms , 70cms and 2m and that worked fine but the scanner has always had it own feed and there is also a back up both are on there own feeds with separate diamond 510n on each .

Attachments

• Cables-min.jpg
    Cables-min.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 22