First Radio You Owned That Inspired A Lifelong Interest In The Hobby?

spongella

Sometime in our lives we acquired our first radio which was the catalyst for a lifelong interest in the hobby. Maybe it was a cheap imported two-transistor radio from the early '60s, or one of those shirt pocket crystal radios advertised in the back of a Popular Mechanics magazine. Perhaps it was a hand-me-down boat anchor from a friend or relative, or a World War 2 surplus item. It could’ve been a kit like those made by Remco toys or Radio Shack. Or possibly in the CB era of the 70's when we called each other "Good Buddy" that inspired you to purchase a CB radio which opened up a new world of transmitting. Maybe it was your first crystal controlled scanner, whatever. Would be very interesting to see how many of us remember our first inspirational radio. As for me, it was a crystal radio shaped like a rocket circa late 50's and was hearing the voice of announcer Jack Sterling on WCBS in NYC that got me hooked. Thanks for your comments.

bw415

Premium Subscriber
I built the Knight-Kit Star Roamer shortwave receiver kit in 1967. I've been into radio and electronics ever since.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Believe it or not, it was a crystal radio. I had one, cat whisker and all, when I lived in the Ozarks in Arkansas back in the early 50s. Reception wasn't particular great because we lived in a valley, but the fact that it picked up a signal at all was amazing to me.

steve9570

Member WSAG-457 -KB1-KZW- KCP-2441 CB-WA1-BZG
Premium Subscriber
A pair of cheap Radio Shack CB handi talkies I got for xmas back in 1965 or so.
That started the BUG. Got a job at Radio Shack as a teen that helped get me into the basic scanners. 4 channels crystal rigs. Thought those little red lights scanning those 4 channels was cool.
Steve

Enforcer52

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
A 1934 RCA Tombstone with shortwave. My Dad brought it home when I was about 8 (now 71), and I spent many hours listening to the shortwave band. Still have the radio, and had it refurbished about 10 years ago, works great.

Attachments

• 1934 rca radio.jpg
    1934 rca radio.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 7

K7MEM

For me, radio was just a byproduct of my interest in electronics. My interest in electronics started when I was 10 (1959). By 1965 I found it interesting that I was allowed, with a license, to transmit to other stations. So I got a license. I made no difference to me what radio I had. What ever I could cobble together, was good enough for me.

W8WCA

Premium Subscriber
For me it was a very small Transistor Radio that had shortwave bands also. (It was a small typical early 1960's Handheld transistor radio size)
I used it so much I wore it out in about a year. I was 10 years old back in 1963 when I got it.

tuihill

As for me, it was a crystal radio shaped like a rocket circa late 50's and was hearing the voice of announcer Jack Sterling on WCBS in NYC that got me hooked. Thanks for your comments.
Yes. The Rocket Radio. Got this one when I was 10 years old I think. The Sputnik year.
The black suction cup base has long since perished. Can't hear anything at all from the earphone.
Antenna red and Ground black leads. Tuned the internal ferret rod by rotating the nosecone.
Rocket Radio.jpeg

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
For me it's a lot more complex and vast than one specific electronic device. But when it comes to monitoring public safety, the catalyst was an AAA battery operated converter that the user placed near an AM radio tuned to 540 AM. Back then PD & fire were on the same VHF Hi frequency and the converter made listening possible on a standard AM radio.

W8HDU

Late 60s TecTec crystal scanner for the police bands. Before that a Regency tunable scanner (which I still have). Had to go to the crystal scanner when TPD when from VHF-HI to UHF.

For broadcast/ham radio, it was a 1929 Sears Silvertone which my grandmother had. Learned there was a whole new world of radio there.

phask

Premium Subscriber
For me it was a very small Transistor Radio that had shortwave bands also. (It was a small typical early 1960's Handheld transistor radio size)
I used it so much I wore it out in about a year. I was 10 years old back in 1963 when I got it.
I got my 1st transistor radio earlier than 63, maybe 59 or 60. It was a Motorola and was around $40 - what is $40 in 2024 bucks?