• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.
I’m having the issue where my SWR will not stay rock solid. If I get it just perfect, it does. Any other time it’ll start to climb excessively, then hold steady. Or it keeps increasing. The PA cuts power & I’m forced to power off. Equipment is a Motorola MTR 2000 with the hated Notch Reject “flat pack” duplexer. Jensai I believe. 6 cavity duplexer. The SWR reading will behave different after tuning the notches with a VNA. I had it solid at 1.36SWR, so I know its possible. Moved the duplexer to a more permanent location, got paranoid & I’ve been chasing a good SWR ever since. Heres a screenshot of Motorolas software during transmit. It’ll start at 1.X, then gradually increase as the station transmits. Highest it goes now is 2.8 before bounce around between 2.6-2.8. A brief 30sec pause in transmit will put it back down around 1.8-2.0, then it starts climbing again. Brand new jumpers, Feed line is routed neatly, not corroded or pinched. Connection is waterproofed with thin coat of dielectric grease around outer threads only! Temflex top to bottom, electrical tape around that for UV protection. I can’t find the cause for a good, but rising SWR anywhere. Any input anyone has would be tremendous! Thank you!

Attachments

• 1.19 swr.png
    1.19 swr.png
    39 KB · Views: 18

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Usually behavior like that suggests water/corrosion in the coax, connectors or duplexer.
You need to go through and isolate each component and test independently into a 50Ω load.

Might be the antenna is wet inside.
Dielectric grease/electrical tape might not be enough for your outdoor connectors.
Nick in the coax jacket.
Flakey duplexer.
Bad jumpers

freddaniel

As mmckenna suggests, try a 50 ohm load in place of the coax to the antenna. If the SWR is lower or stable, then your issue is with the feedline or antenna. If the SWR is still poor or varies into the load, then your duplexer or jumper cables are suspect. Chinese duplexers are always suspect.

I have found over many years that variable performance usually comes from a small amount of moisture in outdoor connectors. Changes in barometric pressure and hot/cold day/night causes connectors to "wick" moisture over time, even those with grease and tape. The only effective solution is to thermally insulate the connector, in addition to a good seal. I use one layer of Scotch 33 electrical tape, to protect the connector plating, covered by at least 3 layers of Scotch 2242 or 130C RUBBER high-voltage tape that is about 0.030 thick. The RUBBER tape will, over time, become solid and cannot be unwound. It can only be cut off.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Id start with the base. Put a dummy load on it and key it for some time. Ive seen the flat pack duplexers have issues espeicailly in arears with other gear. Not tuned right would cause all sorts of issues. If the base seems good add the jumper, then duplexer then feedline to antenna and so on. One step at a time. I'd also get a real watt meter on the base with a quality jumper.

lenk911

Usually behavior like that suggests water/corrosion in the coax
I second that. Years ago I sold a small county sheriff's system. Found out from street gossip the sheriff would come in the office in the morning and put a dictionary on the microphone's PTT paddle and then go to coffee. When he returned problem solved until the next morning. The system was under warranty and I got the antenna cable replaced. Tough GE Mastr Pro base station to run continuous duty with a high VSWR until it drove the water out of the line.