For the record: What scanners receive Simulcast?

HamEnjoyer

Premium Subscriber
Just for the record, which scanners can receive Simulcast and actually decode it? I have an SDS200 but I'm looking towards a P25 P2 Simulcast handheld.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Just for the record, which scanners can receive Simulcast and actually decode it? I have an SDS200 but I'm looking towards a P25 P2 Simulcast handheld.

All of them depending on your location which can matter in a difference of a hundred feet. Now, which scanners are designed for simulcast systems, that would be ONLY the Uniden SDS series of scanners, the SDS100 and SDS200.

And, before anyone reminds me of the Unication and SDRs, the OP asked about scanners.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
And, before anyone reminds me of the Unication and SDRs, the OP asked about scanners.
If you're well aware of and can work within the Unication's limitations, they are a worthy non-Uniden choice in a compact body. While the purist may tell you that the Unication G-series are pagers and not scanners, they can be programatically adapted to perform many of the same functions as a scanner. Their performance seems to compare very favorably to the SDS series for those forum members that own both.

Blackswan73

Just for the record, the SDS scanners are SDRs. Any modern radio that has a firmware OS is a SDR. In fact, if I was to guess, I would suggest that the SDS model designation stands for software defined scanner. Although not currently available, the BlueTail scanners are specifically designed for simulcast systems, and work well in that environment. I think most people associate SDRs as a dongle that plugs into a computer. But the Uniden, Whistler, BlueTail, etc. have the computer contained within

B.S.

Ubbe

Any modern radio that has a firmware OS is a SDR.
That's actually correct as modern radios have their oscillator controlled from a CPU, so are a software defined receiver if it only comes to its frequency control. A receiver that are frequency controlled from a crystal would not be under software control. But we normally call a receiver a SDR when it has gain and bandwidth and other functions in the receiver programmed and controlled from a CPU, internal or externally, and its receiver outputs digital data instead of audio that needs to be processed by a CPU.

/Ubbe