frequencies change

Status
Not open for further replies.

casper23602

does anyone know if updating a grecom psr 500 digital scanner with bought software fix the issue.
I know this is a must need for the scanners.. The city has changed the frequency on their system (digital I assumed) a recent rebanding retune. no traffic at all on the analog except with it not in trunk mode, but with digital nothing.

captclint

Mentor
does anyone know if updating a grecom psr 500 digital scanner with bought software fix the issue.
The city has changed the frequency on their system (digital I assumed) a recent rebanding retune. no traffic at all on the analog except with it not in trunk mode, but with digital nothing.
There is no digital system listed for Newport News City, Virginia (VA) but there is a Newport News Trunking System, Nothing here indicates a reband yet, but it may be so new that we don't have the update yet. However, if you are talking about Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS) then yes, you need a digital and the PRS 500 should work

What scanner do you have now?

Suggest you to to the Virginia Radio Discussion Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums and inquire is there are any new systems, digital or analog, to which your area has switched. Then you can decide if you need an upgraded scanner or just to reprogram the one you have.

Last edited:

bkantor

Once you figure out which systems you want to monitor, the best bet is to invest in a programming cable, either Win500 or ARC500 and get a premium membership to RR. I have the Pro-106 (Radio Shack equivalent to PSR500) and updating the frequencies is a breeze (I use Win500). You could program manually with the updated information on RR, but that is tedious, time consuming and a little confusing.
That is just my experience, your mileage may vary!!

Good luck - Bob

crcarter

Once you figure out which systems you want to monitor, the best bet is to invest in a programming cable, either Win500 or ARC500 and get a premium membership to RR. I have the Pro-106 (Radio Shack equivalent to PSR500) and updating the frequencies is a breeze (I use Win500). You could program manually with the updated information on RR, but that is tedious, time consuming and a little confusing.
That is just my experience, your mileage may vary!!

I'll second the Win500 route. I have a PSR-500 and a a PRO-106. I can honestly say that it takes less than 5% of the time to program than it would manually.

Win500 is $35, programming cable is $35 at RatShack, and it will cost you $15 for a six month subscription to RadioReference. It will be the best $85 you can spend. BTW, the Win500 gives you a 30 day free look so you can see if it is for you before you lay down your $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.