FT-8 FT8 thing

merlin

OK, for the FT8 gurus, wat can be done about collisions when monitoring.
14.074 and I get several calls all starting the same time.
WSJT-X just throws up its hands and logs gibberish.

CKnobb

Premium Subscriber
We'll need some more information, especially your audio settings. There are several decoding settings that will help as well, i.e. # decoding cycles, threads, sensitivity etc. I am on 14074 right now, just prior to sunrise and I am seeing 40-50 decodes from Europe and Asia. The beauty of FT8 is that there are many signals crammed in a 3kHz space (well...4kHz nowadays) and most will decode despite collisions. Incidentally, I moved away from WSJT-X and am now using JTDX. The filtering is JTDX is better IMO and I can filter out decodes by Continent. Right now I'm filtering out NA decodes so I can see only EU, Asia and Oceania. What are your settings within WSJT-X?

I'm sure there are some gurus in here much smarter than I that can point you in a better direction, but I am happy to provide any input I possibly can.

1684921881668.png

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
OK, for the FT8 gurus, wat can be done about collisions when monitoring.
14.074 and I get several calls all starting the same time.
WSJT-X just throws up its hands and logs gibberish.

As somebody else mentioned, proper time is everything. But your comment about WSJT-X throwing its hands up and logging gibberish. It's either going to log a contact or it isn't going to log anything. It's not like RTTY where it will literally log jibberish if you are copying a weak signal / have interference / are off frequency.

How about a screenshot showing exactly your issue?

merlin

Maybe my bad choice of words, Not gibberish, like a Cq [station} and no response.
I may give JTDX a try, my current setup is a Barrett 980, line out to the PC.
The system clock shows .3second lag. thinking that should not pose problems.
I get much like the screenshot by CKnobb, just not so much.
I have a Trimble time base if I need better timing, but mentioning filters may be the focus.
The big changes since seemingly working is using a WJ receiver and now on a Lenovo laptop.
My antenna is terrible, so one more thing in the works.
Thanks for the input so far.