FTA on Galaxy 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

ind224

FTA rocks. Where else are you going to see rocket launches live without a blonde and no clue giving commentary? Slash and Ozzy are doing the MTA
awards from Glasgow as I type on Galaxy 28.

Attachments

• 20141109_161131[1].jpg
    20141109_161131[1].jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 883
Last edited:

swm77662

Access america went off the air and now "Gotcband" is in it's place, that's too bad about access america going off I liked the old jazz/blues.
But the new one plays 80's pop.

wbswetnam

I finally got my FTA satellite system in today!, or, well, most of it anyway. The receiver didn't arrive, and I called and left a message with Sadoun Enterprises. No response yet.

I decided to go with a fixed antenna and point it toward Galaxy 19. Time for me to start watching the YouTube videos on how to install the thing myself. I asked a local satellite installation business if they'd do it, but they have a contract with Dish Network and it would violate their contract for them to assist me.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
I finally got my FTA satellite system in today!, or, well, most of it anyway. The receiver didn't arrive, and I called and left a message with Sadoun Enterprises. No response yet.

I decided to go with a fixed antenna and point it toward Galaxy 19. Time for me to start watching the YouTube videos on how to install the thing myself. I asked a local satellite installation business if they'd do it, but they have a contract with Dish Network and it would violate their contract for them to assist me.

Awesome! Surprised I hadn't read this post yet. Did you find an installer yet? I heard from a DishNetwork's tech that at Costco, they have freestanding kiosks set up to try to get people to subscribe to Dishnet or Directv, those guys are separate contractors and will install it. When they are in a DISH uniform they get in big trouble if they take an outside job. Another desperate option is to ask around at those foreign-owned mini markets- that's how I found an installer (Arizona- but I lost his #! darn...) because a lot of those guys have those FTA's themselves.

swm77662

Install

Just YouTube some install videos, it's super easy to install an earth station.
Don't forget to do a blind scan around the first of each month to pick up any new programming.

wbswetnam

I have FINALLY gotten around to getting all of the components for a ground mount. Tomorrow I plan to begin the antenna installation. More than likely, I'm going to run into problems and I will have questions, so please watch this space!

wbswetnam

Hit the water pipe

I have FINALLY gotten around to getting all of the components for a ground mount. Tomorrow I plan to begin the antenna installation. More than likely, I'm going to run into problems and I will have questions, so please watch this space!

OK problem # 1 - while digging the hole to put the post in, about 22" down I hit the water pipe which brings water to the house. Of course I did this on a Sunday morning so the city water service won't come look at it until tomorrow. It's not a gushing leak (I'm guessing that it's leaking 15 to 25 gallons per hour) but I can't do anything more until the city comes to repair it. Then of course I will have a repair bill...

DJ11DLN

OK problem # 1 - while digging the hole to put the post in, about 22" down I hit the water pipe which brings water to the house. Of course I did this on a Sunday morning so the city water service won't come look at it until tomorrow. It's not a gushing leak (I'm guessing that it's leaking 15 to 25 gallons per hour) but I can't do anything more until the city comes to repair it. Then of course I will have a repair bill...

Sounds like Mr. Murphy has decided to follow you around and demonstrate his Law today! He's usually doing that to me in one way or another. I definitely feel your pain.

Remember those "Holey Moley!" commercials? I think it's "811" you call in most states, they will come out free of charge and find and mark your utilities, pipes, etc. Might want to think about giving that a chance before you re-dig the hole after the current problem is fixed.

I've thought about putting in an FTA setup for awhile now...will be watching to see how it is working for ya. Best of luck.:D

wbswetnam

The good news is that the water leakage seems to have almost completely stopped. - only twenty gallons lost in four hours according to the water meter (why didn't I notice that meter until today???). The tiny wheel on the meter is baaaarrrely moving. So I'm glad I don't have an emergency on my hands but I will have to call out a plumber tomorrow. I've bought bottled water to drink and cook with until it is repaired.

Today is NOT a good day for me to buy a lottery ticket.

Now that I have lost all confidence in myself to install this satellite antenna, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can find a professional installer in central Arkansas to do it for me? I asked a local satellite and stereo store here if they'd do it several months ago, but they refused because they are under contract to do satellite installations for Dish Network.

BrotherStare

don't give up! look at it this way,the worst has already happened so your due for good luck. if you need help there's a great forum at satelliteuys.us
Free To Air (FTA) Discussion | SatelliteGuys.US

There's plenty of veterans(some are hams) there willing to walk new owners through a stationary or motorized install. If you're absolutely against digging more holes you could try a redneck install: a) support pipe in a 5 gallon bucket of concrete or b) support pipe mounted to a sturdy pallet weighed down with cinder blocks.

I've got a motorized dish and a stationary dish. Setup was moderately difficult but it was rewarding and if anything goes wrong I can fix it myself

2 important pieces of advice
1. make sure the site you pick has a clear view of as much of the southern sky as possible ie the satellite 'arc'
2. get your mounting pole as plumb as possible
next thing you know you'll want to put a motor on that bad boy so you can get more channels

you'll be watching Dr Who and MST3k on RetroTV in no time

wbswetnam

Partial success... I found a satellite dealer who is willing to do the "grunt work", i.e., ground antenna placement and run the lines into the house for me, but aiming the dish toward the Galaxy 19 satellite is up to me. They'll be here Wednesday afternoon. So I guess I'm willing to settle for that.

The plumber came today and fixed the water main. It's an expensive lesson in the importance of finding out where utility lines are FIRST, before you begin digging.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Partial success... I found a satellite dealer who is willing to do the "grunt work", i.e., ground antenna placement and run the lines into the house for me, but aiming the dish toward the Galaxy 19 satellite is up to me. They'll be here Wednesday afternoon. So I guess I'm willing to settle for that.

The plumber came today and fixed the water main. It's an expensive lesson in the importance of finding out where utility lines are FIRST, before you begin digging.

Depending on what you were using to dig, count your self lucky it was a water line you "found". Had it been say oh, a 16" gas line, you could very well, at 'best' be dead, or worse, have scorched earth a 1/4 mile radius, with nothing left of you to bury. Had it been a fibre optic line well, the physical repair bill is not going to be small.

Digging in the ground just about anywhere can be a VERY dangerous proposition.

Hopefully where you live there is 1st Call legislation, making facility owners come out and locate the lines they own. I locate buried facilities for home owners fairly often(2 of my clients I locate for are large producers of oil and gas in Alberta) and AB1 Call has prevented many dangerous accidents where I live.

Hopefully you get everything set up and working soon. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Today is NOT a good day for me to buy a lottery ticket.

That day would have been a great day to buy a lottery ticket, you are extremely lucky you did not hit a buried gas, oil, or power facility. Those three can quickly turn deadly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KB7MIB

Fortunately, you didn't have to call your city or a utility company to repair it. It's a $5,000 penalty in Arizona for not calling, on top of any repair costs.

John
Peoria, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.