Yaesu: FTDX-10 tx settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got this radio, my first HF rig, actually, and, well, it's a lot to take in! I've been using an SDR, so at least I'm familiar with some of the controls and settings. I think I've got a handle on the rx settings, but what about tx? I've seen a few youtube videos, and I'm working my way through the manual, but just want to make sure I have things set up in the ballpark. Not too worried about EQ at the moment, but things like mic gain, proc level and AMC.

Also, I've I wanted to hear what I sounded like, besides getting signal reports from people, what would be the best way to go about that? Tune into a web SDR maybe, and transmit my callsign and say testing? Finally, should I leave my radio set at it's max power (100W)? I remember some questions on the exams that say the minimum power required for the purpose should be used. However, I'm interested in reaching people far away and in other countries.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
You'll get lots of replies / opinions here to all of your questions. But I'm only addressing two of them: getting a signal report and setting transmitter output power. Regarding output power: be careful. I know from other threads that you have posted that you don't have a proper antenna yet. A poorly resonating, poorly matched antenna operating indoors (as you plan to do) is going to present a hazard not only to the final output stage of your transceiver, but also throw a lot of RF into your operating space. And likely some down the coax and back to the knobs / mike on your radio as well, creating an RF hazard for you and possibly others in your space. Two pieces of gear that will serve you well are a dummy load (with sufficient power handling capability) and an antenna analyzer.. which needn't be expensive e.g. the NanoVNA. Learn how to use it to check your antenna. Mic gain setting is important for voice comms as you don't want to over modulate / "splatter", but you do want enough drive to have a usable signal. Your manual should help with what to look at when you set mic gain. When you start using digital modes, audio gain / drive is critical and many stations running FT8 / FT4 and other digital modes have it set way too high. For voice signal reports you can use the web SDR remote receivers. You'll need to find one that is receiving you in the first place... may not be easy to do with an indoor (non) antenna. If you are running FT8 / FT4 you can go to PSKReporter.info, put in your callsign, and immediately get a map showing where your signal is being heard anywhere on the globe. If you have no other interest in digital, that is a primary reason to use it (signal and propagation checking).

FreqNout

Also, I've I wanted to hear what I sounded like, besides getting signal reports from people, what would be the best way to go about that?
The rig has a monitor feature to listen to your transmitted signal in headphones. It should be MONI LEVEL in your owners manual.

With a indoor antenna and 100 watts you most likely will have 'RF in the shack'.

Thanks! As far as RF in the shack, is there a way to avoid this with an antenna in the attic? Is there a max power I should stick to? I ran a calc using one of those online RF calculators, and I'm well beyond the safe distance from the actual antenna. I did a few test transmissions yesterday (I think at 50W), and I noticed that my computer speakers (powered 5" pair) made some noise, so I'm assuming there's RF. However, not sure how it's actually getting to my room (from the antenna upstairs, through the feedline, through the home wiring, etc?) If I turn off the speakers, the sound they admit is not an issue, but of course, that doesn't eliminate the RF in the shack and house. Just want to make sure I'm following safe practices.

Also, I tuned in a SDR in GA, and transmitted a test from here in OH, and it sounded pretty decent, so at least I know I can get on the air. I picked up some very strong signals from overseas, but couldn't get a word in, so not sure how they actually hear me.

FreqNout

Thanks! As far as RF in the shack, is there a way to avoid this with an antenna in the attic? Is there a max power I should stick to? I ran a calc using one of those online RF calculators, and I'm well beyond the safe distance from the actual antenna. I did a few test transmissions yesterday (I think at 50W), and I noticed that my computer speakers (powered 5" pair) made some noise, so I'm assuming there's RF.
Good to see you are on the air.
RF in the shack is going to be a tough one. It will depend on frequency and power output what gets impacted. You will have to lower power if it becomes a problem. Do not be surprised if your smoke alarms or garage door opener triggers when you are on the air.

Every cable and wire in your house has the potential to be an antenna to grab your RF.

There are RFI books and web sites that can give you more info. Have fun as your new hobby begins.

FreqNout

You could also look into Mobile HF antennas. Either mounted on your car or outside with coax in to the house. That gets the RF outside to help reduce the RF in the shack. Try things and see what works.

Here's another thing. Last night, I tuned in a web SDR in GA, and tx'd, and it was rx'd. Today, I tried the same SDR, but it didn't hear me. Also, I was picking up a guy from Spain today. I tried contacting him, but no luck. I was thinking maybe it was just because other people were trying to get in, too, but then I loaded up a web SDR in Spain, went to a clear freq and tx'd. Nothing.

Basically, Rx seems reasonable for having an indoor antenna. However, I'm not sure what's up with my tx.

FreqNout

Basically, Rx seems reasonable for having an indoor antenna. However, I'm not sure what's up with my tx.
You will have varied success based on time of day and frequency band. Last night the path to GA was 'open'. Today it as 'closed'. The same way am radio stations across the country are heard at night and not during the day.

You may have better success with FT8 or other digital modes on TX vs. SSB.

FreqNout

Take this advice to see how your TX is working across the globe.
If you are running FT8 / FT4 you can go to PSKReporter.info, put in your callsign, and immediately get a map showing where your signal is being heard anywhere on the globe. If you have no other interest in digital, that is a primary reason to use it (signal and propagation checking).

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
The only thing to remember to pskreporter is that you're going to be "heard" in places with FT8 that you will never get into using SSB...you would be down in the noise. Using CW will give you a little better idea.

You will have varied success based on time of day and frequency band. Last night the path to GA was 'open'. Today it as 'closed'. The same way am radio stations across the country are heard at night and not during the day.

You may have better success with FT8 or other digital modes on TX vs. SSB.

Thanks. So, it is normal that I can hear someone pretty clearly, but they can't hear me at all? I guess their signal propagates well from their location to mine, but not mine to theirs? Also, I know some of these guys have massive antennas and are pumping out a lot of power, while I have a minimal antenna, and 100W at best. When I was listening to the guy in Spain today, I was receiving him fairly well, but could barely hear anyone calling him, or sometimes not hear them at all.

I'll check out the psk reporter thing. I don't really have any experience with digital now, but will research it. I did tune into some of the global beacons, and I was picking up the one from Spain today, which makes sense because I heard that guy's transmission at the same time. However, i don't think my signal was getting over there.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Assuming your attic antenna is above the foil-backed insulation you described in a different thread... and that you have run the RF exposure calculator and are seeing a safe distance from your antenna.. I think it is unlikely you are getting significant RF near your operating position, unless it is coming down from the attic via the coax. However, if when you touch your rig or microphone and "get bit" by RF then you definitely have RF coming in via the coax. Does your indoor antenna and feed line use at least one balun / matching transformer? If not then having one will reduce stray RF on the coax. Lots of info on that here RFI Tutorial Center - Palomar Engineers® and here Speaker Presentations - Palomar Engineers®
External speakers are particularly sensitive to noise from RFI but don't assume that because you are hearing the speakers respond when you transmit that there is a high level of RF present in your operating position.
Finally... Yes, propagation is very often asymmetric. Just because you hear a station doesn't mean that station is going to hear your transmitter. Happens all the time on HF... not so much on VHF / UHF. And that's another reason FT8 combined with pskreporter is a pretty reliable indicator whether your digital signal is being heard or not, and where. However, don't assume that every station that hears you will respond to a call. Some of them are purely monitors (which help to assess where you are being heard). If a band is "closed" to certain locations you'll know it immediately with pskreporter.

I would say it has less to do with propagation and more to do with having an antenna in the attic. While receiving probably isn't going to be terrible, transmitting is definitely going to be compromised.

This is what I'm worried about. I know it won't be amazing, but I was expecting at least something to get out there. The remote SDRs I tried weren't even registering a blip (or if they were, it was just too small to even show up). The one I tried it GA heard me, and I recorded the audio, which sounded decent, so at least I know it made it there.

Assuming your attic antenna is above the foil-backed insulation you described in a different thread... and that you have run the RF exposure calculator and are seeing a safe distance from your antenna.. I think it is unlikely you are getting significant RF near your operating position, unless it is coming down from the attic via the coax. However, if when you touch your rig or microphone and "get bit" by RF then you definitely have RF coming in via the coax. Does your indoor antenna and feed line use at least one balun / matching transformer? If not then having one will reduce stray RF on the coax. Lots of info on that here RFI Tutorial Center - Palomar Engineers® and here Speaker Presentations - Palomar Engineers®
External speakers are particularly sensitive to noise from RFI but don't assume that because you are hearing the speakers respond when you transmit that there is a high level of RF present in your operating position.
Finally... Yes, propagation is very often asymmetric. Just because you hear a station doesn't mean that station is going to hear your transmitter. Happens all the time on HF... not so much on VHF / UHF. And that's another reason FT8 combined with pskreporter is a pretty reliable indicator whether your digital signal is being heard or not, and where. However, don't assume that every station that hears you will respond to a call. Some of them are purely monitors (which help to assess where you are being heard). If a band is "closed" to certain locations you'll know it immediately with pskreporter.

Thanks. Yep, I did crawl way up there and put it over the insulation. The calc I did using an online app came back fine, and that was when I thought the antenna would only be 9-10 feet above me. Not, it's more like 20. Right now, I'm using a RadioWavz 20m dipole with 1:1 balun, attached to RG8x feed line.

As far as my speakers, I turned down the volume a bit on their amp, and they still make slight noises when tx'ing, but nothing too bad. I have not noticed anything weird happening like RF bites or whatnot. My tests so far have been at 50W.

I think part of my issue is that I was thinking propagation was like a 2-way street, but that may not be the case. I'm definitely going to have to try the PSK reporter thing, and see what happens. If I at least know my signal is getting out there, that'd make me feel better. I kind of feel like I'm wasting my time now if I'm not making any contacts.

FreqNout

Try sending cq on cw and check the reverse beacon network web page for your cw signal reports. You do not need to know cw, yet. You can program the memory keyer by typing in your cw mesage. Check the manual for using the memory keyer.

Try putting up any type of a second antenna outside. Compare the signal reports.

You will have a weak signal on SSB with your indoor antenna. You will have far better luck using cw or any digital mode.

Last edited:
Do I need to connect to my PC to be able to send CW? I don't have a key, just the stock radio.

Tried test transmitting voice in SSB to TX since I'm hearing people from there. Loaded up a web sdr in TX, and it doesn't pick me up. Could it really be that my indoor antenna is compromised that much? It tunes up OK with the internal tuner in the FTDX10, and it's as high as I can get it in the house (the dipole wires are just a few feet under the roof) which is just wood and shingles.

As far as putting up an HF antenna outside, I don't have options. My backyard is very small and covered by crisscrossing power lines that come off the main lines and feed to my house and the neighbors.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Do I need to connect to my PC to be able to send CW? I don't have a key, just the stock radio.

I don't know the specifics of your radio, but it's new enough and good enough to where it should have a memory keyer...that is, you program pre-defined CW messages and it sends them. Create one calling CQ (3 times or so) with your callsign. Then go to Display Reception Reports Put in your callsign, and it will give you a very good idea of where your signal is going.

Looking briefly, it is under Contest Memory Keyer, Page 59 in the manual.

FreqNout

To use the CW Memory Keyer for a reverse beacon test of your signal you can program the memory banks with the text input of your screen. This is explained in the user manual.Please review the manual. You press the memory button to send your message.

Your Indoor antenna is not going to be good using SSB. CW or digital modes are your best choice.

For DX work, forget SSB with your weak TX antenna. FT8 is a weak signal mode.

As for your yard. Be creative. Something outside maybe possible on 10, 12. or 15m. 20 meters is only one band of many to try. As I mentioned an HF mobile antenna would fit in your yard.

If you have a friend with a more antenna friendly yard, setup a remote station.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. I will try the CW thing and see if I can get a report.

Do you think any other sort of indoor antenna would work for DX, or not? I'm kind of torn because DX-ing is the main reason I got this radio, so if I can't do that, I might just end up returning it.

The only possibility for my yard is maybe a short antenna on my roof, however I plan on buying a new house and moving once the market is better, so I don't want to put a lot of work into something here.

I use an indoor antenna (Diamond X30) for UHF/VHF, and it works OK. It's on my second floor in the finished section underneath the insulation, but I know HF is another ballgame.

FreqNout

The practical answer I have for you if you want to work DX with your indoor antenna: Try FT8.

Run the CW tests. Look at RBN web page for you callsign reports to see your antenna performance.

For DX, you really need an Antenna with a take off angle of between 5 and 20 degrees off the horizon. A dipole will give that pattern, if at the correct height above the ground in the clear. That is around 1 wavelength in height depending on published tests. There are numerous studies on DX and antenna patterns over the years.

Only you can decide your budget for a rig.

If you decide to return the rig, budget a few $ to try out the remote ham radio site I posted in another thread. For less than $6 an hour, on the low cost locations, you will have a better DX experience.

My 2 cents. 45 years a ham. Good luck - enjoy your hobby. You have plenty of options to be a DXer.

Status
Not open for further replies.