Yaesu: FTDX-10 tx settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Another question is, does my orientation matter? Right now, the dipole runs from east to west, so it's mainly radiating north/south (in theory). However, because it's indoors, who knows? It's 20-ish feet above the actual ground, but of course there's flooring and many other materials below it.

I'm going to see if I can figure out the CW stuff now and let y'all know....

FreqNout

The reverse beacon network site updates each minute. If a station heard your CW CQ, it will be listed. Search for your callsign.

Here's another thing I was thinking: my dipole is a few feet over metallic insulation. I read (and someone mentioned it here or on one of the forums) that as dipoles get close to the ground, most of the radiation is vertical. In my case, I wonder if my antenna "sees" the insulation as ground level? This might explain why I'm having a hard time getting my signal heard. If most of it is just blasting straight up, that's not optimal.

I was originally looking at an end fed antenna (the EndFedz brand came to mind). Would something like that perform better, or would the radio waves also end up going vertical?

Well, hell, that could be my problem :unsure: Would an end-fed in this position have a different radiation pattern, or will I have the same problem?

The CW test worked somewhat. Some storms rolled in this evening, but here's a snippet. I made it to France, the Caymans and Hungary, to name a few, but not sure about the SNRs and what not. This was with 50W.

Screenshot 2022-06-12 223602.jpg

FreqNout

Would an end-fed in this position have a different radiation pattern, or will I have the same problem?
No way to predict your indoor antenna pattern.

As you can see, you are being heard by DX stations. The magic of CW!

The SNR values are signal to noise in dB. The higher the SNR - the stronger your signal over the noise level.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
PSK also heard you over in Germany, at 5dB.

And that's the thing...as a few of us have mentioned, you are going to have a much better chance being heard with CW or FT8. While your signal is making it overseas, you might be so far down in the noise with SSB, that you aren't being heard.

Nothing wrong there. You aren't going to work much DX on 20m at night, for the most part. There are certainly times you will be able to, but for the most part, you need to move to lower bands at night for DX.

I'm thinking that most of my time spent on the radio will be late evening and nighttime. Getting on 40m would probably be better for that, right? Problem with that is, I don't have a good spot for a 40m antenna.

On the bright side, I got FT8 running, and made a QSO in the Netherlands. :) My signal report was -15, though, and so was his.

What about some sort of loop antenna for indoor transmitting?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Based on the RBN and PSKReporter, as well as your European QSO with FT8… you are getting out just fine! It’s all about time of day, band you’re in, and propagation. Do you have tuner and have you tried 40M and 15M? Both are very active in daytime and 40 at night as well. If you are thinking about a loop for transmitting you’d better have deep pockets. Stay with your attic setup awhile and try other bands and different operating time of day. Patience and propagation go together.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
BTW- the internal tuner in your rig is not going to handle a mismatch SWR greater than 3 to 1. You need a decent external tuner with your antenna. Figure that out before laying down $$$ for a loop capable of transmitting.

Cool. My internal tuner wouldn't seem to work on anything but 20m (the band of my dipole) and 6m. Even if I had an external tuner, would it be able to tune my dipole to work at 40m? If my radio can already tune a good SWR on my 20m antenna, how would an external one improve that? Also, what are some good tuners that don't cost a ton?

FreqNout

An antenna tuner attempts to adjust the transmission line impedance to 50 ohms. (actually, the transmission line and the antenna 'system' impedance is tuned.) A second tuner will not be needed for 20m, if your rig tunes your 20m dipole.

If you want to tune antennas with swr greater than 3:1, (like your 20m dipole on 40m) an external tuner able to tune the higher swr would be needed.

The antenna itself will still radiate the same with or without a tuner. This can be seen in antenna modeling software. Antenna gain, pattern, etc. are not magically adjusted by tuning the transmission line impedance.

The antenna tuner makes your transmitter happy because it sees a 50 ohm load with the tuner inline.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The antenna tuner makes your transmitter happy because it sees a 50 ohm load with the tuner inline.
And, that's all an antenna tuner, or antenna matching unit, does. If your antenna is not resonant on the frequency that you want to use, a wide-range tuner may be able to make the transmitter happy, but it won't make the antenna resonant. Your transmitter power will be turned into useless heat by the tuner.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
And both of the replies above provide good illustration why you want a multi-band antenna, particularly indoors. Propagation favors different bands at different times of the day. And even when the band you used yesterday (e.g. 20M with your dipole) was great into Europe, it may be dead to that location the next day. But guess what? Move up to 15M (for example) and voila! There are the European stations bombing in. But your antenna and tuner aren't able to "go there" with any level of reasonable performance. As you have learned, with a 20M dipole you are pretty much "stuck" on 20 even if the other bands are open. An EFHW or OCFD and appropriate tuner are going to get you where the action is... even if some of that power is frying eggs or welding metal (!) in the tuner. (Hmmm.... howcum those piping hot tuners aren't regarded as safety / fire hazards requiring UL listing, etc?) More likely than losing all your power in the tuner is that your RF pattern may not be the most efficient for whatever the ionospheric conditions are at the time. Sometimes what you need is an NVIS skywave, sometimes a multi-hop ionosphere reflection. But with a single band antenna and limited tuner not capable of handling more than a 3 to 1 match... you're sorta stuck. And all of the above is null and void if there is a solar flare (CME - Coronal Mass Ejection) that "turns off" HF just as if a switch was flipped to "off" on the bands. In that case, don't blame any of your station setup. But most of the time there is something you can do about, "I'm not being heard in (xxx)." The answer is to change bands and retune.

Yep, I am pretty much stuck on 20m at the moment. I'm on the radio mostly at night, so I figured 20 would OK. 40m would probably be better, but I can't fit that length of dipole up there. The built-in tuner was one reason I chose this radio, but it sounds like an external one would give me more options.

I do wonder how a horizontal loop would do up there, but I'm sure I'd need a tuner to get that working.

Status
Not open for further replies.