Fun with DMR: programming a single channel DMR system

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Service types programmed for each talkgroup should accurately reflect the usage of the talkgroup. And need to be enabled in the scanner menu if you want to monitor them.

And make sure you have location data programmed for the Site(s) and Department(s) in the system if the Favorite List has Location Control turned on, or the system will not be scanned.

jeffhochberg

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for uploading these files!

I figured out why I was receiving the "Nothing to Scan" message. It was due to programming the Talkgroups at the Site level as opposed to the Department level. Once I moved the Talkgroups to the Department level, I was able to change the service type to whatever I wanted. I ended up using the existing "Ham" service type, but one could really select anything they want.

...double-check your spelling of the word "sentinel" there's no letter "a" in the name. And I just noticed "Sentential" as in "centennial" :)

Your work is very much appreciated!

WoodburyMan

The DMR-MARC user and repeater database is no longer maintained at dmr-marc.net. It's been relocated to RadioID.net (https://www.radioid.net). More specifically:

https://www.radioid.net/cgi-bin/trbo-database/

Yes, you can get static CSV dumps here https://www.radioid.net/static/

As of right now Glen stripped the 2xxxxx ID's for Euro users out for GDPR.

For European user ID's you can get them here https://ham-digital.org/status/

The DMR database in raw CSV form is about 6mb+ now, close to 100,000 records now. Wondering if it was possible to expand out the 1mb limit on favorite lists. SDR100 seems like it may have higher capabilities. Cheap Chinese TYT radios can handle up to 16mb. For now I'm just putting a few states Unit ID / ID's into my favorite lists.

jeffhochberg

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if the SDS100 is restricted to 1MB for performance reasons and not a hardware limitation. One would hope that the SDS100 has more memory than the BCD436HP/536HP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ubbe

For European user ID's you can get them here https://ham-digital.org/status/

Yes, but it has become useless. No last names, no QTH, sometimes no first names, just a bunch of commas instead of info.

2400202,SM0VXI,SM0VXI,,,Sweden,DMR
2400203,SA0MBA,SA0MBA,,,Sweden,DMR
2400204,SM0YXI,Rhl,,,Sweden,DMR
2400205,SG0RPF,Uffe,,,Sweden,DMR
2400206,SA0FBR,SA0FBR,,,Sweden,DMR
2400207,SM0JZT,SM0JZT,,,Sweden,DMR
2400208,SM0OFV,Janne,,,Sweden,DMR

/Ubbe

WoodburyMan

Yes, but it has become useless. No last names, no QTH, sometimes no first names, just a bunch of commas instead of info.

2400202,SM0VXI,SM0VXI,,,Sweden,DMR
2400203,SA0MBA,SA0MBA,,,Sweden,DMR
2400204,SM0YXI,Rhl,,,Sweden,DMR
2400205,SG0RPF,Uffe,,,Sweden,DMR
2400206,SA0FBR,SA0FBR,,,Sweden,DMR
2400207,SM0JZT,SM0JZT,,,Sweden,DMR
2400208,SM0OFV,Janne,,,Sweden,DMR

/Ubbe

Exactly. RadioID has the ID's with full names, WTH and such from when the database first split. However new Euro registers are supposed to use HamDigital. There are bout 100 or so names on there that are not on RadioID.

I wrote a PowerShell script that downloads both files, merges them keeping RadioID data that has all the good info, and only adding the HamDigital data that doesn't already exist.
It also goes and formats them for the TYT MD-UV380/UV-390 CPS, and Anytone D868UV CPS as well. http://www.kc1iuc.com/downloads/RadioDL.zip

I copied over the Connecticut Id's into the fields in Unit ID's but it doesn't seem to be displaying under Detailed or Simple view. Am I missing something? Note, this is on a SDS100. I turned into our local repeater, my radios picked up ID's but the scanner would only show their ID's and not give me the names and info I put in.

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
I copied over the Connecticut Id's into the fields in Unit ID's but it doesn't seem to be displaying under Detailed or Simple view. Am I missing something? Note, this is on a SDS100. I turned into our local repeater, my radios picked up ID's but the scanner would only show their ID's and not give me the names and info I put in.

The default SDS100 display templates don't show the "Unit ID Name" filed, they only show the "Unit ID".
I added the "Unit ID Name" filed right under the "Channel Name".
Thanks.

andrewket

I have yet to get my somewhat-new SDS200 to receive DMR. I paid for the key, and the update was successful. I'm using firmware 1.10.00 main, 1.02.01 sub.

Using the global database and not creating anything custom to add some local DMR systems, the radio briefly pauses on DMR transmissions but then immediately moves on. It doesn't display any info, but it knows a signal is there.

I've gone so far as to create a custom system listening to a digital hotspot in DMR mode. Frequency, color code, and TGs are all correct. The scanner pauses briefly.. and moves on. Any additional thoughts on how to troubleshoot this would be welcome. I have yet to get it to receive any DMR. P25 works fine....

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I have yet to get my somewhat-new SDS200 to receive DMR. I paid for the key, and the update was successful. I'm using firmware 1.10.00 main, 1.02.01 sub.

Using the global database and not creating anything custom to add some local DMR systems, the radio briefly pauses on DMR transmissions but then immediately moves on. It doesn't display any info, but it knows a signal is there.

I've gone so far as to create a custom system listening to a digital hotspot in DMR mode. Frequency, color code, and TGs are all correct. The scanner pauses briefly.. and moves on. Any additional thoughts on how to troubleshoot this would be welcome. I have yet to get it to receive any DMR. P25 works fine....

Maybe it's encrypted?

andrewket

So, this is interesting.

I'm using:

1. A hotspot (SharkRF openSPOT2)
2. Motorola SL3550e HT
3. Uniden SDS200

As I said, I couldn't get the SDS200 to receive any DMR. It briefly shows a signal, and the "DMR" indicator comes on, but the scanner quickly moves on. The SL3550e receives everything just fine.

As I was siting doing nothing other than pulling my hair out, the SDS200 stopped and the TG I've been trying to receive was heard. It continued to do this until the transmission ended, and then started scanning again. For the next five minutes it continued to skip the channel / TG with the behavior that I described, and then -- seemingly random -- it stopped on a transmission again, and then the cycle repeated. I managed to capture this on video, but it's 5-6 minutes long in HD. I'll have to edit it a bit before sharing.

So I think I can conclude:

1. The configuration is correct
2. It's not a signal strength issue; the hotspot is a foot away and transmitting 2mW.
3. It's not a hotspot modulation issue - the SL3500e works, as does 3 other radios I have sitting here of various brands.

Unfortunately I think this is a bug on the SDS200.

Open to troubleshooting ideas.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
As you probably know,the SDS series is more likely to suffer from intermod. Turn off anything that can potentially interfere or move it to another room and try it there.

andrewket

As you probably know,the SDS series is more likely to suffer from intermod. Turn off anything that can potentially interfere or move it to another room and try it there.

I didn't know that ... I will try. However, it is receiving P25 systems just fine.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I didn't know that ... I will try. However, it is receiving P25 systems just fine.

Try different filter settings, move the scanner to different areas of the house. Marginal signal strength is problematic. Just a few suggestions. Your P25 system might have a stronger signal and easier to decode.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The obvious question is: for which of the scanner(s) are these instructions? All of the ones that can have (or have out of the box) the DMR upgrade?

A very important detail for what looks to be a good starting point...Mark WA8PYR put it virtually verbatim into our wiki, so it has to be linked to something. I will rewrite it slightly for standards when I have a chance.

Mike

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
andrewket - How strong is the signal from the hotspot? If you are overloading the SDS, consider adding attenuation (via Sentinel) to see if it makes a difference.

andrewket

andrewket - How strong is the signal from the hotspot? If you are overloading the SDS, consider adding attenuation (via Sentinel) to see if it makes a difference.

strong. The hotspot is set at 1 mW (milliwatt) but is a foot away. I can reduce that by at least 9db. However, I have the same problem listening to my DMR repeater, which is several miles away. Strong signal here, but if it’s over powering the front end of the SDS200 at that distance then the receiver is crap and uniden should be ashamed.