WS1088: FW Update... or... AGGGGGHHH!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed6698

Yes, I have tried this on all 3 USB ports. Yes, I am aware the scanner needs to be off. My Laptop is a Lenovo L450. It's not a bad laptop, everything I have loaded works except for my 1095 and 1080. I have lots of SDR's and other radio software that work well, never a problem.
You folks tried to help me out many months ago, but I gave up after countless hrs of frustration. My only option is to sell them at this point. I don't know what else to do. I have tried all the suggestions, to no avail. maybe I didn't do the steps correctly, but I am fairly good on figuring things out, except for Whistler.
I had a Lenovo XP laptop running this same software without a problem. But that computer failed on me, so I bought this one about 1 year ago.

From what I have been reading I think it has to do with a USB setting in the Bios of the computer. However I don't want to have you digging around in there unless you are familiar with it. It looks like it needs to be set to Auto. The online manual I am looking at tells about it on page 85. Not sure if you have a manual that would correspond to it.

Attachments

• usb.JPG
    usb.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 204

hth999

I'm getting closer - still problems with 1080

Have you tried this on each USB port? Also the scanner should be off when doing this.

What make and model is your computer?
I responded to your earlier questions, Lenovo L450, all usb ports tried. I did uninstall the driver, plugged the 1080 back in, and I have had some sucess. I can change the clock on the scanner, so it is communicating via usb. I was able to change the DSP to 3.0, so that is done. However, I can't change the firmware. I am using 2.8, and I see 4.5 is available. When I innitiate the update, the screen on the 1080 goes white in color and seems to start updating. However, after a little while it fails, and says it cannot communicate with the scanner. Under ports it's COM 9, so I don't know what is wrong.

Ed6698

I responded to your earlier questions, Lenovo L450, all usb ports tried. I did uninstall the driver, plugged the 1080 back in, and I have had some sucess. I can change the clock on the scanner, so it is communicating via usb. I was able to change the DSP to 3.0, so that is done. However, I can't change the firmware. I am using 2.8, and I see 4.5 is available. When I innitiate the update, the screen on the 1080 goes white in color and seems to start updating. However, after a little while it fails, and says it cannot communicate with the scanner. Under ports it's COM 9, so I don't know what is wrong.

Did you update EZScan? There have been several updates for it over the past few months.

hth999

Yes, I updated EZ Scan this afternoon. BTW .....Changed the BIOS to Auto, but still have the same problem. Firmware cannot be updated, indicates USB not recognized. So still the same issue. Maybe I'll try to re install the driver again.

hth999

Updated the BIOS to auto, didn't work. It does communicate via USB if I change the clock in EZ scan, and the scanner recognizes the time and changes it. I was able to change the DSP to 3.0, but firmware cannot be updated. Currently I'm running 2.8 in the WS1080, and I se 4.5 is available. I start the process to update, and it looks like it's working, ie, it downloads the update, then the scanner screen turns white indicating the process to change the firmware is starting, but after a few seconds, I get the dreaded USB message in the right corner of the screen saying USB not recognized. I've probably spend over 10 hrs trying to get this to work over various times. Wht a headache. Well that's it. Looks like 2 scanners are going on ebay. What a shame, don't want to sell them, but don't have a choice.

Ed6698

I did read also something about UEFI/Legacy boot in the Bios of computer, that may or may not help also. But I would hold off on that for now. There is something with the computer that is not allowing it to work properly. I have 4 different computers that I can run EZScan on, that can communicate with the scanner. 3 with Win 10, 1 with Win 7.

hth999

Is it possible that Firmware 2.8 is the max for a WS1080? I don't have a WS1088, just a WS1080. I have exactly the same problem with my 1095. Everything else updates, except the firmware. I think that is strange.

Ed6698

I know on my Win 7 laptop I have to run it in Legacy boot, otherwise I cannot do some things with other devices, probably why I never had a problem with the scanner, as I was already in Legacy boot. 4.5 is the latest for the 1080, I just did my 1080.

Last edited:

hth999

I've never run the computer or any computer via Legacy Boot. Not even sure how to do that. I think the only way to get this updated is to call Whistler. Last time I called, I left a message saying I had problems with my Win 7 driver, and I never got a call back......I don't blame them, I can see why now.

Do you think it's an option for Whistler to update to version 4.5? Do you think it's worth it? With all I've tried, the scanner still works great. Not sure if 4.5 will improve it any. 100% of the time i listen to is P25 1 and ll.

Ed6698

Your scanner should be fine. If it works the way you want leave it alone. I usually never update my scanners, only the Library some times. I don't ever use the Library database any ways. The only thing you would gain if the scanner is updated past what you have now, you would get DMR support. In my area DMR is very limited, and what is available is no interest to me. I only use mine for P25 Phase I and II.

hth999

Okay, thanks for the reassurance. 1080 works very good. Very clear audio compared to Uniden. Funny thing about this is when I connect to USB port ( in any of the 3 ) about 1 in 3 chance I get a message saying USB Not recognized. After about 3 tries usually the computer will communicate and connet. I went into the EZ software, and changed a name of one of my scanlists, just to see if I could do an update. Updating via a card is easier, but I wanted to see if this would work with the software. it worked okay. So it seems I have almost full function except for updating the firmware. It bothers me that the computer does not recognize the 1080, but like I said it has about a 1 in 3 chnce of " communicating " via usb with the 1080. I don't think there is anything wrong with my computer, because I have a lot of other software, SDR's and Uniden scanners that update without issue.

MichaelBhere

Download the CPU updater file from the Whistler website. From your pc you can update the unit without EZ Scan.

hth999

Thank You - This worked 1080 Now Updated

Download the CPU updater file from the Whistler website. From your pc you can update the unit without EZ Scan.

Thank you for this. I did not know Whistler had this application. I was able to update to version 4.4, not 4.5, but 4.4. But that is good enough. Everything else is updated or current. I will need to do the same thing for my 1095. The only PC issue I had was, and I mentioned this before, I have about 1 in 3 chance of the computer recognizing the 1080. It does not matter what port. It does not matter if I change the BIOS. I have used different cables. I guess that's the way it's going to be. However, I am happy now. I am good for a while. I've got the scanner running now, and it's decoding P25 very well. My uniden 436 does a good job as well, but the audio quality is much better on the 1080. Thanks again, it is appreciated! Hal

hth999

This worked in updating my 1080's Firmware - Thank you

Thank you for this. I did not know Whistler had this application. I was able to update to version 4.4, not 4.5, but 4.4. But that is good enough. Everything else is updated or current. I will need to do the same thing for my 1095. The only PC issue I had was, and I mentioned this before, I have about 1 in 3 chance of the computer recognizing the 1080. It does not matter what port. It does not matter if I change the BIOS. I have used different cables. I guess that's the way it's going to be. However, I am happy now. I am good for a while. I've got the scanner running now, and it's decoding P25 very well. My uniden 436 does a good job as well, but the audio quality is much better on the 1080. Thanks again, it is appreciated! Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.