• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 Pager - PPS not detecting on windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuLabsWuTecH

Hello all,

I have a new windows 10 computer and I went to install the g5 driver and PPS on it and it doesn't seem to recognize my device. I know the cable is good because everything works find on my other computer (windows 8).

What I have done so far:

Went to the Unication website to download the PPS and Driver
Installed the Driver and PPS
Rebooted my computer
Plugged in the pager to the usb port.
Turned on the pager
(also tried the reverse, plugged in the pager after turning it on)

Windows makes the sound where it detects a new device, but the screen on the pager just shows that it is in a charging state. It never goes to the graphic where the pager sees it's attached to a computer.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get my pager to work with windows 10?

Thanks!

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Try a different USB port on the computer.
check to see if a driver is installed, if so remove it, unplug and try again.

a417

U+0000
go into the device manager and look for USB attached devices that have a question mark or exclamation mark icon on them.

Device Manager --> Universal Serial Bus controllers --> (suspicious device with probably incorrectly installed/detected driver) --> right click Properties --> Driver --> Update Driver --> Browse My computer for drivers --> then you can check the list of available drivers that windows 10 should have installed, or navigate to the folder where you unpacked the drivers from the manufacturer's website.

This is not a device specific fix, but a common problem with USB devices and not being detected correctly...and the way to force win10 to use the driver you specify. (also applicable with some prolific drivers and making certain specified version of older drivers are being used.)

WuLabsWuTecH

go into the device manager and look for USB attached devices that have a question mark or exclamation mark icon on them.

Device Manager --> Universal Serial Bus controllers --> (suspicious device with probably incorrectly installed/detected driver) --> right click Properties --> Driver --> Update Driver --> Browse My computer for drivers --> then you can check the list of available drivers that windows 10 should have installed, or navigate to the folder where you unpacked the drivers from the manufacturer's website.

This is not a device specific fix, but a common problem with USB devices and not being detected correctly...and the way to force win10 to use the driver you specify. (also applicable with some prolific drivers and making certain specified version of older drivers are being used.)

I see a "Unknown device" Do you know where the driver unpacks? The .exe file from Unication installs the driver automatically and I don't have a choice as to where the driver installs (it does not appear to be in the folder where the software installs)

RBMTS

Make sure you are using the USB cable that came with the pager. I experienced the same thing initially when using a cable I had laying around for another device.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I just came here to post the exact same issue. Installed the PPS on my desktop and 2 laptops. Desktop - works perfectly. But when I plug the pager in to either laptop it sees it as a com port, not the RNDIS device. Trying to change the driver doesn't work as I can't seem to find a Unication RNDIS driver to point it to (even though Windows said it was installing said device when the pager was 1st plugged in).

jimv

Premium Subscriber
Well guys I'm now experiencing the same issue. Was successfully operating PPS V0.3.16.9 two days ago with my G5 with Firmware 1.3. Now today, my Windows 10 Surface Probook updated with a "Feature" update. Now when I plug the G5 into each of the two USB's, I get a recognition sound and the G5 indicates "charging", but not luck with the PPS recognizing the device.

jimv

Premium Subscriber
Well guys I'm now experiencing the same issue. Was successfully operating PPS V0.3.16.9 two days ago with my G5 with Firmware 1.3. Now today, my Windows 10 Surface Probook updated with a "Feature" update. Now when I plug the G5 into each of the two USB's, I get a recognition sound and the G5 indicates "charging", but not luck with the PPS recognizing the device.

Also, within the Device Manager there are no "explanation marks", i.e., apparent driver issues or hardware issues.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Same thing I'm seeing. I've installed the PPS on 2 desktops, no issue. But my Dell laptop and Microsoft Surface but have the issues (all are running Win10 Pro). Very weird and annoying!!

jimv

Premium Subscriber
Same thing I'm seeing. I've installed the PPS on 2 desktops, no issue. But my Dell laptop and Microsoft Surface but have the issues (all are running Win10 Pro). Very weird and annoying!!
I'm glad I was able to at least get the Hold/Block firmware installed and had my zones/channels/systems where I wanted them before all this crap. Moving forward we'll definitely need a fix or some guidance.

jimv

Premium Subscriber
Okay I was able to solve my problem by going to the Unication Downloads page (Downloads- G2-G5 P25 Voice Pager | Unication USA) then downloading the driver for **If you receive an error regarding ” rndis file”, please download this driver. Then unzipping, and clicking the unicatino_windows_rndis_driver_setup application which installed the driver. Opened the PPS and connected and it worked. Not sure why I had to do this now. Again, maybe the lastest Windows update.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I can't believe I didn't see that file on their downloads page. Nice find! I'll give it try on my laptop later tonight hopefully.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I had the same issue after the Win10 Feature Update version 20H2, which I just accepted in the past week. My G4 always connected before the update but didn't after the update. No device manager errors nor "rndis" errors. Un/re-installed PPS which typically loads the driver but that still didn't help.

Installing the "rndis driver" mentioned above fixed it.

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
I had the same issue after the Win10 Feature Update version 20H2, which I just accepted in the past week. My G4 always connected before the update but didn't after the update. No device manager errors nor "rndis" errors. Un/re-installed PPS which typically loads the driver but that still didn't help.

Installing the "rndis driver" mentioned above fixed it.
Greetings,

Unfortunately, I've had the same connection issues as detailed above. I also tried installing the "rndis driver" listed above but it has not fixed my problem as I still can not connect. Does anyone else have any advice to help me? Thanks!

N6ML

Unfortunately, I've had the same connection issues as detailed above. I also tried installing the "rndis driver" listed above but it has not fixed my problem as I still can not connect. Does anyone else have any advice to help me? Thanks!

The first thing I'd suggest is to use the USB cable that came with the pager. Other cables, especially ones designed for charging phones, may have the same connectors, but may not work reliably (or at all).

When you plug the USB connection, does Windows make the sound that indicates that a device was detected?

Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc), and open both the "Network Adapters" and "Ports" subtrees. When you plug/unplug the USB connection, do you see a device appear/disappear under either subtree?

Last edited:

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
The first thing I'd suggest is to use the USB cable that came with the pager. Other cables, especially ones designed for charging phones, may have the same connectors, but may not work reliably (or at all).

When you plug the USB connection, does Windows make the sound that indicates that a device was detected?

Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc), and open both the "Network Adapters" and "Ports" subtrees. When you plug/unplug the USB connection, do you see a device appear/disappear under either subtree?
Yes, I am using the cable that came with the pager (even tried a second cable from my other pager).

Yes, when I plug it in, I do get the sound and it even shows that it’s charging.
Yes, under “network adapters” I see the device appear and disappear when I plug/unplug the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.