• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

getting a CB again.. maybe..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
I was watching a show on TV last night about surviving disasters and one thing that was mentioned was having a CB radio. I sold mine off many years ago after getting fed up with the morons in the area I use to live in at the time (long un-fun story btw) And as fed up as I was, it was still hard to sell my Cobra 139xlr.. (I liked the tech more the the people back then)

So since seeing that show last night, I"ve been playing with the idea of picking up something cheap on ebay or whatever. A small mobile, swr meter and a mag antenna, so I could use it in my apartment or my car.

But I'm wondering what it's like in the London Ontario area these days if it worth having. I was thinking perhaps monitoring channel 9 so I could be of help to people if the need arises.

Comment and suggestions are most welcome.

hockeyshrink

I don't know what its like up there, but IMHO what cb use there is now tends to be mainly among small groups who use it for hunting, off roading, or just keeping in touch locally. It is certainly not widespread nor is it common.

I have removed my cbs from my house and truck, but now use GMRS, MURS and amateur. I wouldn't waste any time or money with cb; however, consider getting an amateur license. Ham equipment will be much more useful to you if TSHTF anyway, and would be more enjoyable in the interim. There are designated protocols for emergency monitoring and you could get involved in clubs like ARES/RACES in the US for emergency communications.

Now someone will follow me and defend cb, LOL. I have no problem with it, and enjoyed it back in the day when I had friends to chat with.

freqs

Now I am not going to bash or defend CB .Citizen Band can be fun and useful depending on your use.
We use them in the trash trucks at the dump to help direct drivers and on the road for traffic hazzard's.
Most commuication's in and around the Detroit area I live near and like most large city's are foul mouthed high wattage trash talking fool's.I enjoy CB but only on trips or at work' not in my off time.
I would not use Citizen Band Radio for any emergency situation many people take CB as a joke so your cry for help will be put off as a fake distress call. Not many if in Police even monitor CB or ch 9 any cop mostly Motor Carriers Officers that have them in their Patrol cars are on ch 19 . Ham radio is a better form of communication just not for me .But to rely on CB for disaster or a emergency not a good idea useing it for fun thats ok . cell or a ham radio is your best bet for help .

hockeyshrink

...I would not use Citizen Band Radio for any emergency situation ...But to rely on CB for disaster or a emergency not a good idea useing it for fun thats ok . .
(emphasis added)

Sorry to come back so soon but freqs is right on & I just wanna underscore what he said...

'shrink

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
THanks for the comments. :)

While I think I'll pass on getting one right now. If I stumble upon something super cheap at a yard sale or something I still may pick one up. I've seen something that said a license is no longer needed in Canada for a CB. So that saves a few bucks.

What are the GMRS and MURS? Like I said. I've been away from this for some time and just figuring out what's what now..

whiskeytango

gmrs and murs is basically the walkie talkies you can buy anywhere for 50 bucks for a pair. i drive from sacramento to reno nv 2-3 times a month and the cb is pretty active the whole way. if i were to crash off road or disappear into a snow bank id trust the cb over my cell phone for a good chunk of my drive. i wouldnt say ones better than the other, but ch 19 always has traffic for the situation i would need it in

hockeyshrink

gmrs and murs is basically the walkie talkies you can buy anywhere for 50 bucks for a pair.

Negative, whiskeytango, you are referring to FRS - Family Radio Service "bubble packs." While FRS now shares some freqs with GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service), GMRS is the descendent of the old "Class A" service on UHF and requires a license from the FCC. Max power is 50 watts (not 500mw), and repeaters and external antennas are permitted, unlike FRS.

MURS (Multi-Use Radio Service) operates on 5 simplex freqs in the 2 meter VHF high band, 2 watts max, no repeaters, external antennas permitted. It is shared with businesses who operate under their commercial licenses, but no license is required for the MURS specs.

See wikis

General Mobile Radio Service - The RadioReference Wiki

Multi-Use Radio Service - The RadioReference Wiki

auxscan

gmrs and murs is basically the walkie talkies you can buy anywhere for 50 bucks for a pair. i drive from sacramento to reno nv 2-3 times a month and the cb is pretty active the whole way. if i were to crash off road or disappear into a snow bank id trust the cb over my cell phone for a good chunk of my drive. i wouldnt say ones better than the other, but ch 19 always has traffic for the situation i would need it in

I agree ch 19 is the only ch i respect and believe is useful in the cb band. The rest are full of crackheads who are pushing major wattage.

If my life was on the line and had a cb radio on me, I would call for help on CH 19. not ch 9. I saw signs up in nassua county that said "nassua county police moniture CB Radio CH 19" not ch 9. I don't know if NYPD HWY Patrol moniture CH 19?

anybody know?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I can't say what it's like in the London area but from what a ham/CBer friend on the south shore of Lake Simcoe tells me it's pretty decent up that way.
"A small mobile, swr meter and a mag antenna, so I could use it in my apartment or my car."
Sounds to me like a cheap and dirty way to find out so go for it. If it's worth your while you can always build up on it and if not at least you won't be wasting a whole lot of cash.

"We use them in the trash trucks..."
Thanks for the lulz, you made my day! (;->)

DX949

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I can't say what it's like in the London area but from what a ham/CBer friend on the south shore of Lake Simcoe tells me it's pretty decent up that way.
"A small mobile, swr meter and a mag antenna, so I could use it in my apartment or my car."
Sounds to me like a cheap and dirty way to find out so go for it. If it's worth your while you can always build up on it and if not at least you won't be wasting a whole lot of cash.

"We use them in the trash trucks..."
Thanks for the lulz, you made my day! (;->)

Glad to see that the CB THread makes you happy Warren !

mike_gain

I've said it here before. Although CB is mostly full of trash, it can be good low cost comms. Ham, murs, frs are all great but for availability and cost it's hard to beat. You can pick them up used for next to nothing at hamfests and fleamarkets. If you have a ham ticket and others you need to talk with don't, you can makeshift emergency comms.

kf6hcd

I've said it here before. Although CB is mostly full of trash, it can be good low cost comms. Ham, murs, frs are all great but for availability and cost it's hard to beat. You can pick them up used for next to nothing at hamfests and fleamarkets. If you have a ham ticket and others you need to talk with don't, you can makeshift emergency comms.
No argument there, Mike.

I use CB on a daily basis. I am lucky enough to have a group of friends on the air who are Hams/CBrs, and non Hams. I also use FRS, MURS, TriSquare (my latest passion).

The local CBrs are not into the big city keydown contest type behavior, and we all participate in some nice round tables. Of course, being near the I-10, I hear a lot of truckers, but don't cross paths with them very often.

I like the CB scene around here. It's a lot better than Orange County, where everyone is trying to crawl up everyone else's coax. I can even use my CB HT while walking around and reach at least two or three locals.

For all its detractors, I think it's still hard to beat in terms of sociability.

I try to keep a low key, family-safe operating style. I wish others would, but when it gets too deep, I just change channels or radios.

ArtU

Negative, whiskeytango, you are referring to FRS - Family Radio Service "bubble packs." While FRS now shares some freqs with GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service), GMRS is the descendent of the old "Class A" service on UHF and requires a license from the FCC. Max power is 50 watts (not 500mw), and repeaters and external antennas are permitted, unlike FRS.

MURS (Multi-Use Radio Service) operates on 5 simplex freqs in the 2 meter VHF high band, 2 watts max, no repeaters, external antennas permitted. It is shared with businesses who operate under their commercial licenses, but no license is required for the MURS specs.

See wikis

General Mobile Radio Service - The RadioReference Wiki

Multi-Use Radio Service - The RadioReference Wiki

I have a pair of Motorola 5 watt GMRS HTs that I got bubble packed as closeout for $50. And yes they do 500mw FRS as well. I can't remember the model number, they are in my trailer.

hoser147

Tale a look around at yard sales, you can usually find a CB and Antenna for under $20 bucks for the both of them. Its still interesting to see what kind of comms you do get in your area. Pretty rural here and you here all kinds of things, truckers, hunters, local stations, and the Pds and the OSP monitor here. But anymore just about everyone has a cell phone for true emergencies. So what the heck its just another extension of your radio hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.